News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The idea of pulling the cable.. and then where the bracket was attached really made me consider how much 'extra' cable there might be on the spool just to make the pull function (cable needed to run the line, but not actually installed as part of the line..). Then I started thinking about how the system handles slack or not... then thinking about the fixed cable length to actually splice. Then started thinking about how much travel the tensioning system must be able to handle or not for a slack rope vs a loaded rope, etc. It gets interesting to think about the parameters they must work within :)

I am assuming that there is also a method in the stations to adjust the tension on the cable.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am assuming that there is also a method in the stations to adjust the tension on the cable.

Yeah.. like I said in prior post.. "Then started thinking about how much travel the tensioning system must be able to handle or not for a slack rope vs a loaded rope, etc" - I'm now thinking about how much load there must be and how much extension or not there is in the cable when under load, etc. Since it's not a pre-tensioned system... and also because it takes dyanmic loads.. interesting to think about how the design handles it and the cable expectations.

I mean, it's a significant amount of extra cable to run from the tower elevation compared to the ground. But maybe if they just take more of the regular droop out of the runs with more tension.. they get the extra travel. Just fascinating stuff to think about as an engineer.

Driver

If the cable installation is anything like how electrical transmission lines are constructed they will pull a "pilot" rope or cable first and then use that to pull in the haul rope. The pilot rope would probably be routed through the pulley supports rather than transferring it to the pulleys. On transmission lines the wires are pulled in under tension so that they don't drag on the ground. They use a support frame across roads to insure that the wires don't sag down into traffic while being pulled in. That is most likely what those yellow frames are for.
As for the two white pulleys on top of the structure those may be the installation pulleys to pull in what is called (on transmission lines) an overhead protective ground wire. This would act as a "continuous lightning rod" above the cabins and the haul ropes just like it does on a transmission line. Considering that Orlando is the lightning capital of the world that may well be the case.
Won't it be wonderful when they finish this thing and we can quit guessing and see who was wrong about what.... ;)
You sir have come the closest to being spot on your explanation . You obviously have some experience.😉

EricsBiscuit

I'm at IAAPA now. Here's the cab
IMG_6282.JPG
IMG_6283.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom