News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

imarc

I finally listened to this podcast this morning and the expansion idea really makes sense in context that he stated it since it allows them to create the Skyliner in a modular way. If it's successful, they can build another module.

Has anyone mapped out yet the 2nd or 3rd phase that he described?

Found a rough diagram that Ziggy Knows Disney made based on the information given in the podcast:

disney-skyliner-future-map.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I finally listened to this podcast this morning and the expansion idea really makes sense in context that he stated it since it allows them to create the Skyliner in a modular way. If it's successful, they can build another module.

Has anyone mapped out yet the 2nd or 3rd phase that he described?

I don't like his use of the word "modular" since that implies they can just "plug" new routes into the existing system. The only station that could have another line connect directly into is possible the CBR station, out the direction opposite DHS. All the other stations are either turns or end point which they can't simply add on to.

As for the other routes, they talk about a Disney Springs route that would go straight to the CBR station, but that isn't likely since the a straight line from that station passes over non-Disney property, there would have to be at least one turn to get from CBR to DS. Our insiders have said that there is different transportation option being looked at for AK. If they did decide to do AK I am not sure how they would link it up. I guess they could build a second station at DHS by taking out some of the parking, but a straight line from there would pass over the park which might not be desirable so they would probably end up having to go south, and then run along Osceola.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Found a rough diagram that Ziggy Knows Disney made based on the information given in the podcast:

View attachment 315065

The big problem with this map is that the current routes all run in areas that make them relatively easy to access in the case of an emergency, the additional routes here do not. I would think they would try to run along roads wherever possible and would not run over parks where it would be hard to do evacuations. Also, as I mentioned in my other post, the Disney Springs route runs over property that is not owned by Disney which they probably wouldn't do.

Last edited:

imarc

It would be highly unlikely that Disney would put a gondola station in Disney Springs that would take guests to any of their parks, for the same reason they don't offer bus transportation from DS to a park.

Yeah... especially as they are starting to charge to park everywhere but Disney Springs. This would make that loophole way too tempting and would probably ruin parking for people who want to go to DS.

It would make more sense to me to run to the Saratoga Springs area. A determined person could still work around it but would have to decide if the lost time was worth the monetary savings.

Last edited:

Ripken10

Yeah... especially as they are starting to charge to park everywhere but Disney Springs. This would make that loophole way too tempting and would probably ruin parking for people who want to go dot DS.

It would make more sense to me to run to the Saratoga Springs area. A determined person could still work around it but would have to decide if the lost time was worth the monetary savings.
While I think I agree with you to an extent about not adding the gondolas to Disney Springs...isn't the main reason they are charging for parking is due to people parking at resorts and causing issues with those that are staying at those resorts. There is quite a bit more parking at Disney Springs than at a resort, and it wouldn't cause that many people to park there to cause parking issues. Only the stingiest of people park at a resort for free to get to a park, it wouldn't cause a majority to do so. Adding transportation from Disney Springs would not result in a huge change in where people park, most people will still park at the magic kingdom when they want to go to the magic kingdom. The parking dilemma (or lack there of one except on busiest days) is new to Disney springs and would only improve when the new parking garage opens.

(I know people will disagree and say the only reason Disney is charging for parking is to make more money, but I know it is far more complicated then that).

nace888

Yeah... especially as they are starting to charge to park everywhere but Disney Springs. This would make that loophole way too tempting and would probably ruin parking for people who want to go to DS.

Sadly though, it wouldn't be hard to implement paid parking if they absolutely had to.

meyeet

Wait, where are they charging to park now for someone driving from offsite that they were not before? I thought the only additional parking costs were those staying overnight at the resorts who already would get free parking at the parks?

imarc

Sadly though, it wouldn't be hard to implement paid parking if they absolutely had to.

I don't know. I can think of so many ways it could be poorly implemented. Disney Springs is an any time of day destination - unlike say City Walk - so different prices based on time of day wouldn't work.

imarc

Wait, where are they charging to park now for someone driving from offsite that they were not before? I thought the only additional parking costs were those staying overnight at the resorts who already would get free parking at the parks?

I was under the impression that they were being more selective on complimentary parking for guests. We were turned away from the Contemporary last December because we didn't have a dinner reservation.

shernernum

I was under the impression that they were being more selective on complimentary parking for guests. We were turned away from the Contemporary last December because we didn't have a dinner reservation.
That was always a possibility depending on the amount of cars on property, they were just often pretty lax about it, especially when they weren't busy, or if you name dropped a place within the resort that you were going to visit (oh I want to go to eat at the bar The Wave...etc). There was never a guarantee you would get a spot, but now it is pretty much a definite because they are going to let a non-guest into a resort lot for free that they are charging the resort guest to pay for.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Here's a bit of good news. I spotted a whole heard of ladders over at AK on the walkway to Conservation Station. Apparently its ladder mating season. You know what that means, shortly we will have more projects being worked on with all those little step ladders. Pic is as of Sat 9-15 12:02pm

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
View attachment 314292
I vote to remove all talk of ladders from all of the WDWMagic web site.

joelkfla

While I think I agree with you to an extent about not adding the gondolas to Disney Springs...isn't the main reason they are charging for parking is due to people parking at resorts and causing issues with those that are staying at those resorts.
No, people parking at resorts during the day don't pay. They're only charging overnight guests for resort parking.

joelkfla

It would be highly unlikely that Disney would put a gondola station in Disney Springs that would take guests to any of their parks, for the same reason they don't offer bus transportation from DS to a park.
If they run CBR to DS, people would have to transfer at least once to get to a park. That's the same as it is now with buses.

Making it easier for resort guests to get to DS would increase business at DS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom