News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

DisneyCane

Size is the least of the issues... It's that it's less than 30ft away. On a ski slope, you don't hang around the tower for hours... like you do in a hotel room. While there is no motors near here, there should still be noise as the cars transition the tower/rollers. Its gonna be one of those droning kind of noises in the background.

While they do make sound, it isn't that loud. The room air conditioner will drown it out somewhat especially with the windows closed. The Gondola won't be running at 2AM so it shouldn't disturb sleep. I don't know how close those rooms are to a road but road noise from cars can be heard easily from a few hundred feet away (depending on humidity and wind I can hear highway noise at my house 2 miles away).

Skibum1970

So, I have a question that may reveal that I don't care enough. It's a transportation system. Just like the buses that travel the roads and the load/drop-off areas outside each park, Disney can't spend a ton of money trying to disguise them. Yes, the poles are visible and have to exist because we haven't figured out the hoverboard technology well enough. I understand why people are aggravated at seeing the poles from inside the park but also think that I'd rather a viable method of transportation be set up than current state ignored. We gripe at Disney not fixing things (sometimes, it is very justified) but then we gripe when they do fix something. If you see the tower(s) from inside Epcot, does that totally destroy the illusion that you aren't in France? France is separated from Germany by Morocco, Japan, America, and Italy instead of being directly beside the German pavilion. We don't gripe about the obvious error.

Regarding outside the room window. Okay, yeah, it's a little unsightly. However, I keep hearing people say on resort reviews, "I'm only in the room to sleep and thus don't care what the room is like." How many of us are actually going to spend hours staring at the pole and thinking, "Dang it, that pole totally sucks!!"

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
In all fairness the picture looks like it could have been photoshopped.

It does look a little bit like it could, but the aerial photos do show how close the towers are to the buildings...
1532538605281.png

Lensman

So, I have a question that may reveal that I don't care enough. It's a transportation system. Just like the buses that travel the roads and the load/drop-off areas outside each park, Disney can't spend a ton of money trying to disguise them. Yes, the poles are visible and have to exist because we haven't figured out the hoverboard technology well enough. I understand why people are aggravated at seeing the poles from inside the park but also think that I'd rather a viable method of transportation be set up than current state ignored. We gripe at Disney not fixing things (sometimes, it is very justified) but then we gripe when they do fix something. If you see the tower(s) from inside Epcot, does that totally destroy the illusion that you aren't in France? France is separated from Germany by Morocco, Japan, America, and Italy instead of being directly beside the German pavilion. We don't gripe about the obvious error.
@Skibum1970, I sympathize with everything that you say.

But I think France and Germany are separated intentionally. You don't want fights to break out in the cafe or biergarten. :) For that matter it's good that the UK and France are separated by a canal. :)

People caring about the details doesn't bother me too much because Disney usually does at least try to pay attention to the details and sometimes succeeds brilliantly. The main thing that bothers me is that I consider a lot the complaining we're hearing now is "pre-complaining" in that the project isn't complete and so we get complaints as if what you see now is Disney's full intention. Not that I think Disney will solve everything or even anything, but it's gotten so bad here because we're complaining before it's done. Heck, we were complaining before the project even broke ground!

Regarding outside the room window. Okay, yeah, it's a little unsightly. However, I keep hearing people say on resort reviews, "I'm only in the room to sleep and thus don't care what the room is like." How many of us are actually going to spend hours staring at the pole and thinking, "Dang it, that pole totally sucks!!"
The picture certainly has shock value but as someone a few posts back said, at CBR you almost always have the gauzy sheer curtains pulled because the walkways are right outside your windows. This means that the poles won't have that much of an effect on everyday living there. OTOH, the Skyliner path is along the waterfront so what might have been a nice view of the lake has become a view of a lake behind a pole. At least it evens out the desirability of the rooms.

I'm trying to not let the complaining get me down, you should try it!

BTW everyone, good imagination so far in the hiding of the poles. I've been deficient in my photoshopping. I'm having a hard time cutting out the background from the penguin topiary and Goofy topiary pictures (in order to photoshop them in front of the Skyliner poles).

lazyboy97o

So are the roads, sidewalks, cars parked in parking lots... what's you point? I'm not even sure that I believe the picture isn't doctored.
There are different types and finishes for even concrete sidewalks. They are designed.

Just like the buses that travel the roads and the load/drop-off areas outside each park, Disney can't spend a ton of money trying to disguise them. Yes, the poles are visible and have to exist because we haven't figured out the hoverboard technology well enough.
Photos of other tower designs have already been posted. Disguising them would be foolish but they could have been a different design with better site integration.

If you see the tower(s) from inside Epcot, does that totally destroy the illusion that you aren't in France? France is separated from Germany by Morocco, Japan, America, and Italy instead of being directly beside the German pavilion. We don't gripe about the obvious error.
The pavilions of World Showcase are just that, pavilions. You’re not supposed to be in France or Germany or Morocco. You are in the World Showcase.

Just because people won’t be staring at it all day doesn’t mean it should just be plopped down. Good design is something that is mostly unnoticed and not thought about.

Last edited:

note2001

A little smoke, some mirrors, a few well placed shrubberies, and voila!

Then again, the little kid in me says that if were I 8 again I'd be running up to stand on the base and look straight up at the cabins going by above. Far more magical than It's a Small World, in my opinion.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Right, and here are the photos from the post I linked to before, taken by @WDWtraveler , and I don't believe his photos are photoshopped in any way.

img_0463-jpg.286270

img_0465-jpg.286271
Sure looks like they will wrap the bottom up to the ladder. Could be to prevent climbing or to put some theme on them but those attachment points were not installed for me to ask questions about. They are meant to hold something around the bottom portion

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom