News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The key factor is that the Gondolas are not an attraction, they are transportation to the attractions. They are not the show, they are the road to the show. You guys keep going and each blade of grass between 192 and the northern end of the property will have to have some sort of theme. What is the theme of the things that hold up the Monorail. I believe it is part of the Monorail track just as the tower/cable is part of what is used to move a gondola. And stand alone the monorail tracks have become butt ugly. Gondolas, towers and cables, are a utility within a resort. The stations, the things that count, are themed and that is all that is necessary. If there were some way to theme it I guess it would be OK to do so, but, what a colossal waste of money and you are the same guys that curse Disney for spending to much money and taking to long to build, yet, the demands never end.
I think you are missing the point. The gondolas themselves are transportation but the towers are right in the middle of a resort. The resort is themed. It’s not just a room to sleep in. I’m not sure what they could do to “theme” the towers, but that picture posted looks pretty bad being that close to the hotel rooms.

Lensman

I think you are missing the point. The gondolas themselves are transportation but the towers are right in the middle of a resort. The resort is themed. It’s not just a room to sleep in. I’m not sure what they could do to “theme” the towers, but that picture posted looks pretty bad being that close to the hotel rooms.
Maybe we could make the complaining more fun by speculating on how they might make the towers more attractive - particularly the ones right outside the CBR rooms. Two constraints I was thought of are:
1. You'd have to design it such that you it would be straightforward for maintenance to access the tower and climb up it.
2. Anything beyond paint would best be done after the cable was strung.

I was thinking that the tower bases remind me a little of the proportions of the trunk of a palm tree, albeit a very straight vertical one.

Then again, maybe it would be sufficient to surround each tower with a little planting area, or maybe just a little fence. I also wonder if they have to keep people away from it. I know the bottom ladder is removed to dissuade climbers, but do they also have to keep people from approaching them and, I dunno, whacking them with a bat or something crazy?

Or you wouldn't have to hide it, just make it whimsical and amusing. Each one could have a character interacting with the tower in some way. You could have Goofy climbing one with a pole lariat, etc. They could design it to replace the mountable ladder.

Or maybe they could do it with topiary? Maybe penguin-shaped topiary?

Say, do we have any concept art that shows the base of gondola towers in public areas?

Last edited:

Lift Blog

I also wonder if they have to keep people away from it. I know the bottom ladder is removed to dissuade climbers, but do they also have to keep people from approaching them and, I dunno, whacking them with a bat or something crazy?

Go ahead and whack one with a bat. It’s not going to make a bit of difference. In fact, the established method to check for accumulated water in a tower tube is the ‘bong test’ - hitting it with a hammer.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Fixt...

1532500555104.png

DisneyCane

I think the photo makes the tower look worse than it is in reality. When Skiing next to Gondola towers, they don't seem as big as that picture makes it look. I get that when Skiing, the background is a mountain but when you are literally going right next to it, the perspective should be pretty accurate.

Patcheslee

Just thought but maybe their plan is to continue the larger bushes around the building, there's still a flower be running beside it. Maybe not surround the column due to access but add trees that would draw the eye. Part of what is making it stand out right now is there is nothing else vertical in the area.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Just thought but maybe their plan is to continue the larger bushes around the building, there's still a flower be running beside it. Maybe not surround the column due to access but add trees that would draw the eye. Part of what is making it stand out right now is there is nothing else vertical in the area.
They could always add some fake flowers to it...
tower flower.jpg

peter11435

You know there are places in the Caribbean that have gondola systems for tourists. There towers are not themed either.

Goofyernmost

So are the roads, sidewalks, cars parked in parking lots... what's you point? I'm not even sure that I believe the picture isn't doctored.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the photo makes the tower look worse than it is in reality. When Skiing next to Gondola towers, they don't seem as big as that picture makes it look. I get that when Skiing, the background is a mountain but when you are literally going right next to it, the perspective should be pretty accurate.

Size is the least of the issues... It's that it's less than 30ft away. On a ski slope, you don't hang around the tower for hours... like you do in a hotel room. While there is no motors near here, there should still be noise as the cars transition the tower/rollers. Its gonna be one of those droning kind of noises in the background.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom