News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

cosmicgirl

Here's a one rope scenario that requires only three bullwheels at slightly different heights.
anglestation1.png
@Lift Blog, based on today's aerials would you agree that the Riviera station looks like this scenario? To my untrained eye the only difference would be that the outer bullwheels are slightly further into the corners and the middle one is more towards the NW of the image. Based on Bio's picture I think the offset is designed in such a way that the bullwheels can be at the same height because it doesn't look like the cable will "intersect" itself from a top view.

Lift Blog

@Lift Blog, based on today's aerials would you agree that the Riviera station looks like this scenario? To my untrained eye the only difference would be that the outer bullwheels are slightly further into the corners and the middle one is more towards the NW of the image. Based on Bio's picture I think the offset is designed in such a way that the bullwheels can be at the same height because it doesn't look like the cable will "intersect" itself from a top view.

Looks like more or less that scenario with the outer two bullwheels a little closer to the middle one.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

So, guests will be using it after memorial day, probably beginning in June or July?

Two months after the first week of May would be the first week of July. This is based mostly on what Martin has said previously, but I also heard it from a TWDC source that they are targeting mid to late summer. Martin was oddly specific when he said it, which is why I double checked with this person (who normally doesn't have a lot of info about WDW since they don't work there.)

Lensman

Maintenance bays, wash bays, parking areas, parts storage, mechanical room(s), cast member break room, offices...
BBQ pits.
+1

Aren't the main power systems going to be at the CBR station as well? Though it seems like there will be backup service to all six stations from this quote from January:
Reedy Creek will be responsible for building the six points of service — each with the possibility of having multiple transformers — to run the transportation system, said John Classe, Reedy Creek district administrator. The multiple service points are important in case there’s an electricity backup to the keep the system running, he said.

But more importantly, I assume there are going to be bathrooms at the CBR station, right?

And besides @MisterPenguin's BBQ pits, there has to be a refreshment stand plus maybe a small shop selling cooling towels, portable fans, and misters. Plus alligator repellent, faraday suits, and parachutes. :) Or maybe just some anti-anxiety bracelets. Hmm, maybe an instant pharmacy selling Xanax?

Movielover

Explains that. Storage for what? Normally the gondolas stay on the cable year round they aren't stored or for that matter anything else involved in these systems.

The gondolas themselves are not permanently attached to the cable. The cars can be taken off the line or added for increase capacity during peak times. Also for major storms and hurricanes they will all be taken offline and stored in the storage holding area.

15-MGD_Start_DSC_3483_RGB1-672x372.jpg

Goofyernmost

Don't forget the toy model gondolas.
I invision a toy that is a small miniature of the system with a couple of plastic gondola's designed in the likeness of a Salvador Dali type of melting unit cause by the deadly Florida sunshine. They can be given out to the very few that will somehow manage to survive that 10 minute ride through the inferno called the "Ride of sure death". Many people have been critical of the lack of any real thrill rides at Disney... this will quiet them.
I truly wish I had even a small amount of artistic ability because I can picture it in my mind and I'd love to be able to illustrate it. https://www.wikiart.org/en/salvador-dali/the-persistence-of-memory-1931

Last edited:

Lift Blog

On the power issue, I think there will be one or more generators to power the entire hub building including all three gondola drive motors during a power outage. This would be the preferred backup if both grid power supplies fail. If A, B and C don’t work, then each lift will have one (or sometimes two) diesel engines upstairs that aren’t generators but rather can drive the lift directly. There are ways to run without any outside power at the outstations but I could see Disney install generators at those too to run the lifts normally and keep the lights on, etc. during a power outage.

Last edited:

Patcheslee

On the power issue, I think there will be one or more generators to power the entire hub building including all three gondola drive motors during a power outage. This would be the preferred backup if both grid power supplies fail. If A, B and C don’t work, then each lift will have one (or sometimes two) diesel engines upstairs that aren’t generators but rather can drive the lift directly. There are ways to run without any outside power at the outstations but I could see Disney install generators at those too to run the lifts normally and keep the lights on, etc. during a power outage.
I work at a diesel generator manufacturer, maybe they'll be a new customer and I can "volunteer" to support install.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom