News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

Thunder and lightning are connected. Typically if a business has a weather restriction it is based on the distance of lightning strikes not just hearing thunder. I assume the policy will have a limit on lightning strikes (something like 15 miles or closer) that will start the sutdown process and then a certain number of minutes lightning free before it reopens. Disney has all the equipment to track storms already so I imagine they will use it for this too.

I don’t think they will shut the gondolas down on days where thunderstorms are forecast. They will wait until the day and make the call on the spot, similar to certain rides, waterparks and the resort pools.
Is this just an assumption that the Gondola's will stop during a lightning storm? Cause from my limited knowledge of the situation, a well grounded situation (lightning rods, etc.) you are much safer in the Gondola moving along then standing on wet pavement waiting for a bus. Besides... as stated by many, Disney is in need of a really good thrill ride.

orky8

Is this just an assumption that the Gondola's will stop during a lightning storm? Cause from my limited knowledge of the situation, a well grounded situation (lightning rods, etc.) you are much safer in the Gondola moving along then standing on wet pavement waiting for a bus. Besides... as stated by many, Disney is in need of a really good thrill ride.

Assuming that to be the case, which is a very reasonable assumption that the gondolas are grounded such that a lightning strike will not effect the inhabitants or the drive mechanism, the real limitation is not going to be thunderstorms, per se, but wind speed I would think.

Creathir

There is some concern now about the towers visibility from inside the park, specifically north Showcase looking towards Italy and America. I would say Morocco too but that’s got bigger things to worry about.
What bigger things does Morocco have to worry about???

Ratatouille?

Creathir

Firm believer in "hot, humid air in, hotter, humid air out."
It’s pointless to argue about it.
They may be right, we may be right.
In the end, it doesn’t matter. It’s getting built as designed, like it or not.

My hope is they don’t string these things up all over the resort, given they do indeed solve some of the major problems transportation wise, and are “relatively” inexpensive compared to some of the other options.

DisAl

It’s pointless to argue about it.
They may be right, we may be right.
In the end, it doesn’t matter. It’s getting built as designed, like it or not.

My hope is they don’t string these things up all over the resort, given they do indeed solve some of the major problems transportation wise, and are “relatively” inexpensive compared to some of the other options.
I think it was originally supposed to be a subway system but somebody had the plans upside down. ;););)

flynnibus

Premium Member

Attachments

• DC2F8C6D-4549-4968-9100-C58F62EA65B8.jpeg
    DC2F8C6D-4549-4968-9100-C58F62EA65B8.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 247

Missing20K

There is some concern now about the towers visibility from inside the park, specifically north Showcase looking towards Italy and America. I would say Morocco too but that’s got bigger things to worry about.
At the moment yes. I hope it will be hidden well enough.

I’m incredibly amazed this was not caught during any phase of design. I can’t design a damn thing these days without a “Sightline Study” drawing getting approved by a zoning board or planning commission. How this slipped by astounds me.

I won’t even get into the lack of any themed towers.

To paraphrase your comment in a different thread. Just who is running this sheebang?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am pretty sure many pages back Liftblog confirmed that while the system may technically be safe during a lightning storm the manufacturer does not suggest they are used during lightning storms. It is highly unlikely Disney takes that risk. They will also shut down for high winds. Again, the limitation of the system itself may be higher than guest comfort level so Disney will likely shut them down well prior to winds exceeding the thresholds for the system.

Goofyernmost

I am pretty sure many pages back Liftblog confirmed that while the system may technically be safe during a lightning storm the manufacturer does not suggest they are used during lightning storms. It is highly unlikely Disney takes that risk. They will also shut down for high winds. Again, the limitation of the system itself may be higher than guest comfort level so Disney will likely shut them down well prior to winds exceeding the thresholds for the system.
OK, it will be interesting to see what actually happens in real life. Storms in Florida are usually very intense, but, quick. Perhaps when one of those cells runs through nothing is going to move anyway. It's hard to drive a bus safely through a torrential rain.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
OK, it will be interesting to see what actually happens in real life. Storms in Florida are usually very intense, but, quick. Perhaps when one of those cells runs through nothing is going to move anyway. It's hard to drive a bus safely through a torrential rain.
I know at least some of the boats also shut down for lightning. Maybe not the big ferry at MK but the smaller boats like the ones that take you to Disney Springs.

I imagine the system will be taken down when a storm approaches and open up quickly once it blows through. There are a lot of thunderstorms in FL especially in the summer, but it doesn’t stop them from having pools at every resort and multiple waterparks. It’s also good that the afternoon thunderstorms aren’t rolling in at park open or close. I assume they will just send buses out whenever a shutdown happens.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe it's just a coincidental correlation?
Nah, can’t have thunder without lightning. I’m no meteorologist but I’m pretty sure they are connected ;). It is possible to see lightning but not hear the thunder (heat lightning) but I think that’s generally because you are too far away to hear it. I think I read somewhere that in a flat area you can see lightning up to 100 miles away (especially at night). Thunder doesn’t travel that far. To bring it all around to the gondolas I don’t think they will suspend service for heat lightning. They will probably wait until the storm is within a certain range of miles with active strikes and then shut it down.

Lensman

It’s also good that the afternoon thunderstorms aren’t rolling in at park open or close. I assume they will just send buses out whenever a shutdown happens.
That's a good point thinking about when thunderstorms are most common. It got me wondering in what circumstances people would be most commonly heading to or from a park during a thunderstorm. I'm guessing that there wouldn't be a *lot* of people headed to the park during a thunderstorm and that a few buses could take care of that demand. I wonder if the biggest demand is when a thunderstorm spins up while people are at the park and people decide to bail out. If they anticipate the gondola being shut down for a significant amount of time buses are a fine alternative in this situation. I wonder about what they'd do about the International Gateway, though, since there isn't a convenient bus stop near there. I guess they could schedule service from one of the nearby resorts.

Do that many people bail out and go back to the hotel during a thunderstorm? Or maybe they'd announce that the gondola will be shutting down temporarily in 30 minutes and that would trigger the quitters to head back to the room *before* the gondola closed.

We usually just try to wait it out in a shop or restaurant or use the opportunity of reduced crowds to get more standby rides done.

Goofyernmost

That's a good point thinking about when thunderstorms are most common. It got me wondering in what circumstances people would be most commonly heading to or from a park during a thunderstorm. I'm guessing that there wouldn't be a *lot* of people headed to the park during a thunderstorm and that a few buses could take care of that demand. I wonder if the biggest demand is when a thunderstorm spins up while people are at the park and people decide to bail out. If they anticipate the gondola being shut down for a significant amount of time buses are a fine alternative in this situation. I wonder about what they'd do about the International Gateway, though, since there isn't a convenient bus stop near there. I guess they could schedule service from one of the nearby resorts.

Do that many people bail out and go back to the hotel during a thunderstorm? Or maybe they'd announce that the gondola will be shutting down temporarily in 30 minutes and that would trigger the quitters to head back to the room *before* the gondola closed.

We usually just try to wait it out in a shop or restaurant or use the opportunity of reduced crowds to get more standby rides done.
My limited experience is that crowds tend to hide in buildings until the storm passes. Having been a bus driver (not Disney) I know that driving in heavy rain is very dangerous, probably more dangerous then lightning in the likelihood of it affecting people. If there are buses out there during one of those heavy tropical downpours, my guess is that they don't move very far or very fast until the storms are over. That goes for all types of transportation, Bus, boat, train, tram or Gondola. Once the heavy part of the storm is over, many people move toward a place to get dry clothing because a Florida cloudburst is not something that one can run away from. If you take two steps in the open during one of those you are going to be as wet as you can possibly ever be.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Nah, can’t have thunder without lightning. I’m no meteorologist but I’m pretty sure they are connected ;). It is possible to see lightning but not hear the thunder (heat lightning) but I think that’s generally because you are too far away to hear it. I think I read somewhere that in a flat area you can see lightning up to 100 miles away (especially at night). Thunder doesn’t travel that far. To bring it all around to the gondolas I don’t think they will suspend service for heat lightning. They will probably wait until the storm is within a certain range of miles with active strikes and then shut it down.
Thunder is created due to the electrical charge being released. Thunder is the result of lightning. You see the flash and hear the sound later due to the fact that light travels faster then sound. The less time between the flash and the sound indicates that the actual storm is closer to you. You might not hear the thunder at all if the lightning is far enough away that the sound dissipates into the atmosphere, but, it's is like the old song... Love and Marriage... You can't have one without the other. If you hear thunder you can rest assured that lightning was present. So called heat lightning is just regular lightning that didn't head toward the earth, but instead went horizontal without making contact with the ground. However, it is exactly the same thing and is usually created when a cold front meets a warm front and they "mingle".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom