News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

ProfSavage

BEHOLD:
bill-hader-stefon-return-snl.jpg
If you're just some dumb tourist looking to pay extra for substandard park ops, I have just the thing for you. Located in the central swamps of Florida, Disney's hottest new attraction is "Air dingy." Transportation designer Rob Chapstick is back with an all-new options that answers the question, “Huh?!?” Don’t look for a bus driver, there isn’t one. Instead, you’ll be expected to come up with all zany rumors on your own. This place has everything:
-lightning strikes
-alligators
-hurricane winds
-suffocation
-Human ACs

Stefon, what's a "human A-C"?

Oh, you know. It's that thing where the put little people in a fridge and when you get on the gondola they take one out and put them on your lap. And just like an air conditioning unit, they make a humming sound when they blow.

Rich Brownn

I didn't know they run the monorails in thunderstorms now. When I worked there back in the 70s they closed during thunderstorms (We'd park 2 trains in the TTC nose-to-nose, which was always fun to try and do). We even had lightning strike the strobe on top of a train and blow it off while it was parked once. They'd usually power down the whole track too.

Goofyernmost

I didn't know they run the monorails in thunderstorms now. When I worked there back in the 70s they closed during thunderstorms (We'd park 2 trains in the TTC nose-to-nose, which was always fun to try and do). We even had lightning strike the strobe on top of a train and blow it off while it was parked once. They'd usually power down the whole track too.
I was there in a massive storm, albeit short lived, thunder, lightening and the sideways rain. We rode the monorail during it. That was a while ago, I'm thinking 2008.

danv3

Surprisingly, it can get pretty hot and humid out here. It's been a while but I thought the inclines didn't have any ventilation in them. But it's been a long time since I've ridden in one.

Some open vents to the outside near the top of each car. It was fairly unpleasant in the low 80s. Couldn't imagine riding during the actual summer.

JoeCamel

Some open vents to the outside near the top of each car. It was fairly unpleasant in the low 80s. Couldn't imagine riding during the actual summer.
You should have had the attendant put the block of ice in the compartment. Cold air falls down hill so sit towards the river.

GCTales

This goes to the question of what people meant when they said "nubs". I agree that the rings and connection bolts between the tower segments aren't vortex disruptors. I also don't think the nubs are vortex disrupters.

I do think the little rectangular nubs in the middle of the tower segments could be used to attach things to the tower. So for instance if they wanted to put in helical strakes or something - but I also totally agree that it doesn't make sense to do this so close to the bottom of the tower. But I don't think they are going to put in helical strakes on the tower.

BTW, it might just be me, but I feel like we need to clarify the difference between what we're calling the "ring" and what we're calling the "nub", and once we clarify that it will be easier for people to talk about what they think each thing is.
View attachment 286384

I was mostly responding to how stiffeners work.

Unfortunately, I was looking a this on my phone and not getting a really good view or scale.

Going back and looking again, I was probably wrong in my assumptions and I doubt what are identified in the pic @2percenter posted as nubs are stiffeners. While there don't need to be stringers or run the length of the tower, I think these are too short to really stiffen the structure to change the resonance frequency.

@MisterPenguin is probably right - most of these are going to be attachment points. Possibly some for a ladder, some for cable / wire holder, and some of the ones that circle the tower may be for some sort of shroud structure to surround the tower to keep idiots from trying to climb them- like you see on ladders

ladder-guard-01_1.jpg

Edit: fix spellings errors and typos

Last edited:

deeevo

Great shot showing just how far this project still has to go. Easy 6 months of work left there before the rope can be strung. Rainy season is here so might be a bit longer
Thank you. I noticed they do work in the rain as long as there is no lightning.

3Dan

This goes to the question of what people meant when they said "nubs". I agree that the rings and connection bolts between the tower segments aren't vortex disruptors. I also don't think the nubs are vortex disrupters.

I do think the little rectangular nubs in the middle of the tower segments could be used to attach things to the tower. So for instance if they wanted to put in helical strakes or something - but I also totally agree that it doesn't make sense to do this so close to the bottom of the tower. But I don't think they are going to put in helical strakes on the tower.

BTW, it might just be me, but I feel like we need to clarify the difference between what we're calling the "ring" and what we're calling the "nub", and once we clarify that it will be easier for people to talk about what they think each thing is.
View attachment 286384
Nubs look similar to something I modeled on a similar steel pipe that was a connection point for cathodic protection.

Attachments

• 4C7B7042-CD58-4B23-A453-F19E2DE33150.jpeg
    4C7B7042-CD58-4B23-A453-F19E2DE33150.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

3Dan

Cool. I do CP work for a living. Nice to see someone else on the boards familiar with it. Looks like a cable exothermically welded to pipe.
Cool. I do CP work for a living. Nice to see someone else on the boards familiar with it. Looks like a cable exothermically welded to pipe.
I can’t pretend to know much about CP, I do cad for a pump company & a recent project specified “nubs” just like the ones (actually only 2) on the gondola support towers. This was on a 3’ diameter pump can sunk into the ground. I could be way off!

deeevo

One thing I noticed at Pop was the tree line on the road going into Pop will need some major trimming due to how low the gondolas will be on approach to the station.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom