News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

brettf22

Premium Member
While I'm not a fan of the gondola towers visually intruding in the parks, I did chuckle while watching a video on RetroWDW.com from 1974, showing the approach to the MK from a ferry, with the Skyway in full view next to the castle.
74.jpg

Lensman

Funny how quickly Disney can build when it wants to.
Vortex disrupters wouldn't be so symmetrical and in the same plane as the movement of the wind, I wouldn't think.
This goes to the question of what people meant when they said "nubs". I agree that the rings and connection bolts between the tower segments aren't vortex disruptors. I also don't think the nubs are vortex disrupters.

I do think the little rectangular nubs in the middle of the tower segments could be used to attach things to the tower. So for instance if they wanted to put in helical strakes or something - but I also totally agree that it doesn't make sense to do this so close to the bottom of the tower. But I don't think they are going to put in helical strakes on the tower.

BTW, it might just be me, but I feel like we need to clarify the difference between what we're calling the "ring" and what we're calling the "nub", and once we clarify that it will be easier for people to talk about what they think each thing is.
IMG_20180525_171455885_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

This goes to the question of what people meant when they said "nubs". I agree that the rings and connection bolts between the tower segments aren't vortex disruptors. I also don't think the numbs are vortex disrupters.

I do think the little rectangular nubs in the middle of the tower segments could be used to attach things to the tower. So for instance if they wanted to put in helical strakes or something - but I also totally agree that it doesn't make sense to do this so close to the bottom of the tower. But I don't think they are going to put in helical strakes on the tower.

BTW, it might just be me, but I feel like we need to clarify the difference between what we're calling the "ring" and what we're calling the "nub", and once we clarify that it will be easier for people to talk about what they think each thing is.
View attachment 286384
Braille? The ones on the top section say "This Way To"... The lower one says "instant death due to electrical storms or long painful baking in the mid-day sun". I'm not up on my Braille, so the bottom might just be warning about the possible landing sites in a hurricane.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Simplest expiration is that every structure has a wavelength frequency (say wnd speed at the top) at which it resonates (wiggles in a wave like motion). When the wind blows across the structure, the nubs have been placed to "stiffen" the structure and change that frequency or reduce the amount of wiggle.
That I know but unless they are attachment points of stringers on the inside of the tower they don't add anything structurally speaking. Nor aerodynamically, actually.
What nubs are we talking about? Not the collars where the tower segments are attached to one another? And not the the little nubs that are the attachment points for ladders, platforms, and other ancillary structures that are going to be attached to the towers later?

Could they have to do with something designed to avoid vortex shedding?

Vortex shedding is apparently what caused the collapse of one of the towers at Cedar Point's former VertiGo ride.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VertiGo_(ride)#Incident

Caveat: I'm not a mechanical or civil engineer.
Vortex disrupters wouldn't be so symmetrical and in the same plane as the movement of the wind, I wouldn't think.

I would also doubt (just a hunch on my part) that they're there to disrupt resonant vibration. The poles are rather stout and relatively short to get a good resonant vibration going.

My theories:

The poles over the CBR rooms had to be a few feet higher and these are extensions.​
Or, those collars disrupt ordinary sound vibrations (not full-poll resonant vibrations). This way, the people in those rooms don't feel a constant hum or vibration.​

Can’t believe you guys got this one so wrong:

29opevr.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
After reading this thread, I am really excited about these gondolas. They're going to have everything!
bill-hader-stefon-return-snl.jpg

-lightning strikes
-alligators
-hurricane winds
-suffocation
-dying riders
-Roman J. Israel, Esq.

And human A-C's.

Stefon, what's a "human A-C"?

Oh, you know. It's that thing where the put little people in a fridge and when you get on the gondola they take one out and put them on your lap. And just like an air conditioning unit, they make a humming sound when they blow.

ProfSavage

And human A-C's.

Stefon, what's a "human A-C"?

Oh, you know. It's that thing where the put little people in a fridge and when you get on the gondola they take one out and put them on your lap. And just like an air conditioning unit, they make a humming sound when they blow.

😂😂😂😂😂

I was thinking of what to do for that but... should I compile all of our parts and make one post? I think I should

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom