News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Really weird question, but are they going to move the Eiffel Tower? It's current location is meant to imply a distance between it and the current set of buildings, but that's not going to work it people can walk around to the back directly behind it.
It’s been identified (a while back) as a problem. Last I heard there wasn’t a solution.

G00fyDad

So what you are saying, that when riding the gondolas, there is a very good chance that you will be killed by getting hit by a passing bus!!!

Add that to the list of possible ways to die on these un-air conditioned flying boxes of death!!! ;)

It's all about timing.

Bus...gondola...bus...gondola...bus...gondola...bus...gondola...bus...gondola...bus...

britain

It’s been identified (a while back) as a problem. Last I heard there wasn’t a solution.

I'm guessing they are just going to deal with it like the San Marco bell tower at the Italy pavillion: Looks like the right size from far away; Obviously a miniature version when you can stand right next to it.

ABQ

I'm guessing they are just going to deal with it like the San Marco bell tower at the Italy pavillion: Looks like the right size from far away; Obviously a miniature version when you can stand right next to it.
If you get close enough to the buildings in France, you can't see the tower at all, hopefully they can just find some way to obscure it from sight, I'm speaking from the sight of those headed to Ratatouille ride once it's built. Views from the gondola's, those would be hard to hide.

Goofyernmost

Indeed. Behind France it will be high enough just to clear vehicles and obstacles.
And doing that will hide the bottom of the Eiffel Tower thus using it's size to force prospective folks into thinking that it is farther away then it really is and therefore just be someplace in Paris. Just like it does from the other side.

lazyboy97o

If you get close enough to the buildings in France, you can't see the tower at all, hopefully they can just find some way to obscure it from sight, I'm speaking from the sight of those headed to Ratatouille ride once it's built. Views from the gondola's, those would be hard to hide.
The tower is very near the parapet so it won’t disappear when in the new courtyard. You’d have to build something significantly taller than the existing walls.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And doing that will hide the bottom of the Eiffel Tower thus using it's size to force prospective folks into thinking that it is farther away then it really is and therefore just be someplace in Paris. Just like it does from the other side.
Negative; gondolas will still be around 25 ft in the air next to a building around 40ft high. As I said above it’s still considered an issue.

Goofyernmost

Negative; gondolas will still be around 25 ft in the air next to a building around 40ft high. As I said above it’s still considered an issue.
I'm sorry Martin, but how does a building (I'm assuming you are talking about the one that has the Eiffel Tower on it) is 40 feet tall and the Gondolas are 25 feet in the air. That building is still 15 feet above and the solution, if it doesn't already exist is to put a short wall around the top of the building that will hide the bottom of the tower and it will have forced perspective just like it does now from the other direction.

Unless you are talking about a different tower, I am talking about the Eiffel Tower. Not sure which tower you are talking about otherwise. If we are talking about the same one, then it seems to me to be not much of a problem. It may require just a little more suspension of disbelief then usual, but, that's up to us to provide.

lazyboy97o

I'm sorry Martin, but how does a building (I'm assuming you are talking about the one that has the Eiffel Tower on it) is 40 feet tall and the Gondolas are 25 feet in the air. That building is still 15 feet above and the solution, if it doesn't already exist is to put a short wall around the top of the building that will hide the bottom of the tower and it will have forced perspective just like it does now from the other direction.

Unless you are talking about a different tower, I am talking about the Eiffel Tower. Not sure which tower you are talking about otherwise. If we are talking about the same one, then it seems to me to be not much of a problem. It may require just a little more suspension of disbelief then usual, but, that's up to us to provide.
There is already a parapet. Things don’t “have forced perspective,” it is a composition technique that is much more than just something being small.

Goofyernmost

There is already a parapet. Things don’t “have forced perspective,” it is a composition technique that is much more than just something being small.
OK, fine... bet it works though, we shall see. And if it doesn't... we all will live to see another day. That's the magic of theme park design. It almost always is not life threatening unless someone forgot to put a pin in to hold it together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom