News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

trainplane3

The controversy! Is the dress tower black and blue or white and gold gray or green? It's greenish?
Yes I'm referencing that dumb dress picture from a couple years ago.

Ratatouille_Full_32658.jpg

Obviously from: https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...ouille-construction-pictures-from-the-air.htm

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think (though I don’t personally suffer from this) the issue is the gondola system appears more unsteady than something like the monorail.

My wife will hop aboard a plane. No problem. Go in a tall building, no problem. Use a ladder, no problem. Hop on the monorail, no problem.

She won’t get on a Ferris wheel to save her life, though that would be a very odd set of circumstances. Similarly Tower of Terror is not something she will do willingly.

The gondola is the same thing.
For lack of a better way to describe it, it’s not a general fear of heights, more of a fear of perceived unsteady conveyance. She also gets nervous in elevators.

I think folks like her are going to have an issue with the Skyliner, but Disney will be Disney and find a way to get the guests to their destination. Might be free minivan rides. Might be a small shuttlebus. Might be a single regular bus being reinstated, but they won’t leave guests... pardon the pun, hanging high and dry.

I’m personally excited for this project, it’s grown on me since we found out about it, and look forward to riding it in the future.
Everyone has different things they like or don’t like. I’m sure there are folks who fear the monorail and won’t ride it and definitely some who won’t get on the boats too. I’m not sure how they would prioritize one fear over another.

We don’t know anything for sure and plans can certainly change but from the insiders posting here the plan seems to be to not offer buses to DHS or EPCOT for these resorts. I would be very surprised if they offered free minnie Uber rides. If they do that it won’t take long for the masses who love to game the Disney systems to start claiming fear of heights, boats or even buses in an attempt to get free, personal on demand transportation all over property. No way they will open that can of worms. I imagine that the vast majority of visitors will already know about the skyliner before arriving at these resorts and either opt to stay somewhere else if they have a problem with the gondolas or make alternate transportation plans like renting a car. The main accommodation offered to guests who were unaware of the existence of the gondolas before checkin will likely be suggesting a bus transfer at another park or resort location. That will probably satisfy most guests with real issues. For those who still aren’t satisfied they will probably offer a room transfer to a same tier hotel that is not on the gondola line.

Creathir

Everyone has different things they like or don’t like. I’m sure there are folks who fear the monorail and won’t ride it and definitely some who won’t get on the boats too. I’m not sure how they would prioritize one fear over another.

We don’t know anything for sure and plans can certainly change but from the insiders posting here the plan seems to be to not offer buses to DHS or EPCOT for these resorts. I would be very surprised if they offered free minnie Uber rides. If they do that it won’t take long for the masses who love to game the Disney systems to start claiming fear of heights, boats or even buses in an attempt to get free, personal on demand transportation all over property. No way they will open that can of worms. I imagine that the vast majority of visitors will already know about the skyliner before arriving at these resorts and either opt to stay somewhere else if they have a problem with the gondolas or make alternate transportation plans like renting a car. The main accommodation offered to guests who were unaware of the existence of the gondolas before checkin will likely be suggesting a bus transfer at another park or resort location. That will probably satisfy most guests with real issues. For those who still aren’t satisfied they will probably offer a room transfer to a same tier hotel that is not on the gondola line.

Sounds reasonable to me.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

trainplane3

The color of the towers won't matter when those gondola windows set the interior upholstery on fire...
View attachment 283908
I mean, the fire's fine and all as long as it's not around green tower. A green tower and red/orange flames would clash soooo badly. But flames around a gray tower are 100% fine with me...well as long as the A/C is working. Gotta fan those flames right!

What am I even saying anymore.

allgiggles

I think (though I don’t personally suffer from this) the issue is the gondola system appears more unsteady than something like the monorail.

My wife will hop aboard a plane. No problem. Go in a tall building, no problem. Use a ladder, no problem. Hop on the monorail, no problem.

She won’t get on a Ferris wheel to save her life, though that would be a very odd set of circumstances. Similarly Tower of Terror is not something she will do willingly.

The gondola is the same thing.
For lack of a better way to describe it, it’s not a general fear of heights, more of a fear of perceived unsteady conveyance. She also gets nervous in elevators.

I think folks like her are going to have an issue with the Skyliner, but Disney will be Disney and find a way to get the guests to their destination. Might be free minivan rides. Might be a small shuttlebus. Might be a single regular bus being reinstated, but they won’t leave guests... pardon the pun, hanging high and dry.

I’m personally excited for this project, it’s grown on me since we found out about it, and look forward to riding it in the future.

Are you my husband???? :D Seriously though, I feel the same way as your wife for the most part. I'm terrified of heights but I can tolerate it in certain circumstances. I can go to the top of a building to enjoy the view, but don't make me look down and I will *NEVER* walk out on one of those glass bridges/decks. NEVER. I'm fine on the monorails because they are on a "solid" foundation (though the confined space with no easy immediate escape can get to me). I haven't ridden a Skyride type ride at any park in probably 40 years because they can "swing" and feel unstable to me. Ferris Wheels are also on the "not happening" list...again because of the swinging motion. This past weekend our family was at a local park (the nature type, not amusement park) and we walked across a steel open-grate bridge. The bridge wasn't terribly high -- probably 15-20 feet above the water but I couldn't cross it because it felt "unsafe/unstable" to me (it wasn't -- it used to be a bridge for vehicles before they decided to close that road to make it a walking path and created a "grand" entrance at the other end of the park.). I tried to cross it -- kept looking straight ahead rather than down but could only get about 1/4 of the way across. I turned back and waited on a bench while the rest of the family crossed it and walked a little beyond it before returning to me.

The Skyliner is going to be a challenge for me. We've stayed at Pop Century or AoA for our last 6 visits and have another stay at AoA next month. I'm not sure what we'll do on the next trip (when Skyliner will be open). I guess we'll have to wait and see how many kids are traveling with us on that visit. If we have 3 or 4 kids (actually teens/adults) with us, we'll probably end up at AoA again. If we're down to 1 or 2 kids, we'll probably stay at a Deluxe resort. If we stay at AoA, I will try the Skyliner. We typically spend a few hours at Epcot on arrival day so that will be a good time for me to try it -- I won't have a whole day ruined with heart palpitations/anxiety attacks if it is too much for me. I *want* to ride it because I think I will enjoy the view (out, not down!) but it will be a battle to keep the irrational fears from creeping in to my head (it sounds so easy but it's not). If I find that I can't ride it, then I know my options and will adjust. While I would *love* for Disney to continue offering a bus from AoA/PC/CBR to Epcot & DHS, I don't expect them to.

Monorail_Red_77

I guess you are of the same cut as myself. You have not looked up at the right moment and seen the Contemporary in clear view. The only spot that has ever been mention is how the building across from City Hall and the Firehouse is taller then the rest to allegedly hide the Contemporary. That may be truly intentional or it may have just been a happy accident and they decided to spin it that way for Modern Marvels. However, the Contemporary is in clear sight from Tomorrowland and the train around the park.
In my opinion it's ok to see Contemporary from Tomorrowland and the train since it is themed more to Tomorrowland. However, I think that it is weird to be standing in Liberty Square, look towards the castle hub and have Contemporary slap you in the face.

Here's a pic I found real quick online to show it.
1526414166384.png

Creathir

In my opinion it's ok to see Contemporary from Tomorrowland and the train since it is themed more to Tomorrowland. However, I think that it is weird to be standing in Liberty Square, look towards the castle hub and have Contemporary slap you in the face.

View attachment 284001
Back when the hub had trees.... :banghead:

lazyboy97o

View attachment 284001
This is a view that was once blocked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom