News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

trainplane3

smile

So I hope this isn't a Dopplemeyer system.

the people bailing, the panic, the pile up... and backwards?!... priceless

hopefully no one was seriously hurt, of course -
calls their maintenence in question (hello georgia!), but malfunctions can happen anywhere - imagine anything like that at wdw with folks not bailing in soft snow, but alligator infested waters and concrete?

this vid should allay concerns, hopefully it goes viral

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Sight lines from the Mk skyway were one of the reasons for its removal.

Right now the concern about IG and Rat sight lines are from those who work in the area. I can’t speak for the resorts. But I think Aruba will be a very different place to stay.
You have to admit, it also destroyed the illusion of scale in California (Matterhorn) and made Fantasyland look like some tacky regional amusement park...

JoeCamel

They could have just spray-painted everything behind France... walls, vehicles, roadways, etc... go-away green!
They have a better solution now. The offending object is covered with LEDs on the side you see then a camera is placed looking away from the object on the other side. Turn on the camera and display it's image on the LEDs, voila - invisible offending object. Comes with a very high price tag so it should appeal to WDI.

Lift Blog

the people bailing, the panic, the pile up... and backwards?!... priceless

hopefully no one was seriously hurt, of course -
calls their maintenence in question (hello georgia!), but malfunctions can happen anywhere - imagine anything like that at wdw with folks not bailing in soft snow, but alligator infested waters and concrete?

this vid should allay concerns, hopefully it goes viral

Today is obviously a lousy day for the ski and ropeway industries. Very lucky that apparently no one was killed. Too early to say whether it was poor maintenance, mechanical failure or some combination of both (I know nothing about the safety regime in the country of Georgia.) Doppelmayr is the global market leader so more likely than not to be involved in any lift accident. This isn't supposed to happen, especially on a relatively new lift built by the most respected lift company. But brand new bridges aren't supposed to fall down either.

cosmicgirl

Today is obviously a lousy day for the ski and ropeway industries. Very lucky that apparently no one was killed. Too early to say whether it was poor maintenance, mechanical failure or some combination of both (I know nothing about the safety regime in the country of Georgia.) Doppelmayr is the global market leader so more likely than not to be involved in any lift accident. This isn't supposed to happen, especially on a relatively new lift built by the most respected lift company. But brand new bridges aren't supposed to fall down either.
In your opinion, could this be human error? I.e. someone (accidentally) pushing a wrong button?

smile

the q that kept running thru my mind watching was, 'where's the equivalent of an e-stop?'...
i would assume such systems come with something similar, correct?

Creathir

From the best I can tell, it looks like the brake systems failed right? Essentially it wasn't "running in reverse" but rather this was just stored kinetic energy as the chairs and haul rope made its way back down the hill, correct?

With the just about entirely level system at WDW, this type of out of control rollback is just about impossible, correct?

Lift Blog

From the best I can tell, it looks like the brake systems failed right? Essentially it wasn't "running in reverse" but rather this was just stored kinetic energy as the chairs and haul rope made its way back down the hill, correct?

With the just about entirely level system at WDW, this type of out of control rollback is just about impossible, correct?

The accident lift is a fixed-grip model that probably does not even have a reverse option (Disney's detachable lifts will.) My guess is multiple major components in the drive system failed for whatever reason and then finally the emergency bullwheel brake did not apply or could not hold the load. This is the worst rollback I can remember in decades and shouldn't have happened on any lift, let alone a new one. You are correct that it would be hard for a flat lift to get speed like that at WDW. Not that we should ever find out though.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Yeah, if you think about it, with a ski lift, one side is full, the other is empty since everyone going up gets off at the top. If there were no brakes, the weight of all the people on the going-up side would cause it to 'fall' in reverse.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
The accident lift is a fixed-grip model that probably does not even have a reverse option (Disney's detachable lifts will.) My guess is multiple major components in the drive system failed for whatever reason and then finally the emergency bullwheel brake did not apply or could not hold the load. This is the worst rollback I can remember in decades and shouldn't have happened on any lift, let alone a new one. You are correct that it would be hard for a flat lift to get speed like that at WDW. Not that we should ever find out though.
As low as the Disney system will be, is there a provision to slack the drive wheels and just lower the cabins to the ground?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As low as the Disney system will be, is there a provision to slack the drive wheels and just lower the cabins to the ground?

There is one option...

1521247605328.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom