News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

mm121

Apologies if I've missed it, but have we seen these before? I'm not sure what the grid-like areas west of the building are, but it sure helps to match the building's footprint with the helicopter view of the site. We had previously assumed that the area to the west was for cabin storage and maintenance, but it does not appear to have a roof.

View attachment 267855View attachment 267856View attachment 267858

These are screenshots from a construction update video posted by Theme Park Ohana:

CB definitely has more construction going on than i realized.
Havent ever seen them do an entire temporary restaurant in a tent before, definitely not the most magical experience.

love how the sign calls the skyliner "innovative" when these systems have literally been around for decades and decades!!
now if it was a maglev, or a point to point electric pod transportation system then i'd say it was innovative.

the skyliner was the 'safe" "cheap" choice relative to doing anything new that would have risked the possibility of cost over runs

I suppose that should stop most debris, but hurricanes usually are taller than a wall designed for aesthetics.

Just seems odd they wouldn’t want an enclosed building to put these in during the more extreme weather events.

Aren’t these just fiberglass and glass/plexiglass?

On a separate note, I’m really excited about these coming to this area. Having spent the previous week at Boardwalk, the lack of really waiting for a vehicle will be a huge enhancement to the IG.

yea i'm a bit surprised they arent covering the storage yard, but i guess the thought is its just that a yard, and most of the cabins will be used most of the time anyways, and most days this system will run at least like 16-18 hours so not really much time for them to just be rotting away somewhere.

You’d have to pay someone to mow it.
a little extra is nothing compared to what they do already and it wouldnt have to be done very often, think "highway" grass it only grows so tall
It would seem like it would only affect a few and it won't be the same ones day after day anyway, so since 90+% will be outside all the time anyway, it is probably a reasonable assumption to make. So really they are correct. Is there a solid reason other then aesthetics that there needs to be a roof?
not sure of a solid reason, guess it was just a general assumption that this would have been indoor storage

Goofyernmost

not sure of a solid reason, guess it was just a general assumption that this would have been indoor storage
Yea, I'm sure it really isn't much more then that. It really isn't a concern for tourists how they store them and all the ones that remain hanging on the wire are actually exposed to more weather then those in the storage yard. One of the few non-issue, issues!

Lift Blog

Sounds like this with a wall around it.
img_7182.jpg

...it's a yungle

Please allow the set up...
When I first rode the monorail, durring a two week visit in spring of ‘72 (I know, blessed!), I was mesmerized by this “unique” form of transportation. Quiet, electric, smooth and futuristic. My siblings and I looked forward to every opportunity to ride the monorail, particularly the pilot cabin view, kneeling on the v bench, faces pressed to the windscreen looking at the World go by and excited for what lie ahead. To us, it was an attraction at WDW. Simply, it was fun. And, children happy, make parents happy. I know well, today’s youth is not my youth, but I believe The Skyliner will be an attraction to many, both young and old. The buses have a role, advantages such as flexibility and great drivers for sure. However, boat, monorail, and gondola rides are far more unique and fun to many people worldwide, than a bus ride will ever be (I hear those with the boat/monorail and no a/c = not fun posts loading in their fingertips😉).
I understand and agree with the “staggering cost” POV, but those decisions are above my pay grade, so I just accept it’s unfortunately now SOP for projects.
Therefore, assuming guests will survive the tragedies some predict😳...
A unique form of Disney transportation, an addition, cleaner than buses, a first for many guests, who some will find fun and even consider it a B attraction, makes The Skyliner project a home run, imho. If Skyliner CM’s provide rumors to guests...grand slam! 😎

(Proposal: those fearful of riding The Skyliner shall hearby be refered to as- Shyliners, and placed in a polka dot box on wheels)

Nubs70

Photo update as of Thursday, March 1, 2018. View of the four installed gondola towers from Caribbean Beach Resort's road bridge at Sea Breeze Drive. The fourth tower, circled in red, is partially hidden by trees. The two cranes on the left are near the Pop Century gondola station at Hour Glass lake. The Caribbean Beach Resort station is just to the right of this photo. As shown in this photo, the gondolas will be just above the tree tops along this section.

View attachment 267523

This view is the pathway the gondola will take from Caribbean Beach Resort towards Hollywood Studios. The photo was taken from Victory Way looking west. Besides removing all trees and undergrowth, a gravel path appears under the gondola pathway, with new sod placed on either side.

View attachment 267533
Why are they wasting money on building pathways?

Creathir

Do you now?

These posts are from your frustration that your disaster-mongering went nowhere. You brought up how children won't be able to use the gondolas. Nor the elderly. Nor people with strollers. Nor those with wheelchairs and EVCs. You argued about lightning and power outages and lines snapping and being too high up to be rescued.

You just brought up hurricanes after already bringing up high winds earlier in the thread.

And then there's this recent post trying to start the A/C argument all over again after being warned that discussion of this is off the table for this thread...

Thanks for your "respect."

And where in ANY of those quotes did I attack anyone??? I was just attempting to save the poster I was replying to the aggravation of being burned at the stake for daring ask a question about one of those topics.

And I certainly was not trying to start the argument up again, someone else had brought it up, I was offering my opinion on it in relation to the more recently discovered price tag of the project.

Look, just block me if I irritate you that much.

mmascari

Sounds like this with a wall around it.
img_7182.jpg
I can't believe they are leaving them out in the snow! ;)

I realize that's a joke, but it actually does surprise me. Not because they are exposed to the snow, but because someone needs to clear snow out of the area. Either after a storm while there are no cars in the area, so they'll be able to move in. Or, after a storm with cars in the area and it's piled up between them, making the clearing job that much harder. Which isn't an issue in Florida, obviously.

I'm sure Disney has a smaller repair bay that does have a roof. Nobody likes to work in the rain on repairs. The other end of the line in the photo has an enclosed repair bay (I googled it, and ended up at LiftBlog seeing a photo).

I suppose for hurricanes, the concern is wind causing cars to swing. Walls and rails are probably enough to deal with this. A roof would really be about rain (not a concern), and debris in the air from above. Clearly, the feeling must be that walls will keep most wind blown sideways debris away. Still surprised.

andysol

Haven’t read anything in this thread yet- but I have some concerns.

-Strollers and scooters loading. It’s going to have stops all the time, right?

-It’s going to be so hot. Why is there no air conditioning?

-The wind in Florida. It’s certainly going to affect reliability, right?

Im sure none of these topics have been brought up, and if they have, I can’t really be bothered to read any of this- so can someone answer these for me so I don’t have to look?
Only because I’m really busy.

Kamikaze

Will they be able to put all of the cabins in this storage area? or do they keep some of them on the lines all of the time?

They should all be able to be stored off the system. Some places leave some in the stations as storage as well as off the line.

I would figure the only time these are being stored is major weather events. Excluding spares and units under maintenance. Overnight they are going to leave them on the lines. Wouldn't make sense to cycle everything off every night and back on every morning.

truecoat

Haven’t read anything in this thread yet- but I have some concerns.

To save the wave of attacks here you go.

-Strollers and scooters loading. It’s going to have stops all the time, right?

It moves slow enough for people in wheelchairs and scooters to load. Videos have been posted of people doing so, much to the chagrin of naysayers.

-It’s going to be so hot. Why is there no air conditioning?

With the cabins vented and sitting higher in the air, it should have adequate air flow for the short rides to the parks.

Air conditioning would reduce the overall capacity along with the technical challenges of keeping a battery pack charged.

-The wind in Florida. It’s certainly going to affect reliability, right?

The wind is much worse in mountainous terrain where these have been tried and tested for many many years. Florida winds are no problem.

Im sure none of these topics have been brought up, and if they have, I can’t really be bothered to read any of this- so can someone answer these for me so I don’t have to look?
Only because I’m really busy.

Now you don't have to read the other pages. If you think what I said isn't sufficient, you need to read the other pages as arguing with the above points will only lead to heated arguments about you not reading the other pages.

Last edited:

TiggerDad

To save the wave of attacks here you go.

It moves slow enough for people in wheelchairs and scooters to load. Videos have been posted of people doing so much to the chagrin of naysayers.

With the cabins vented and sitting higher in the air, it should have adequate air flow for the short rides to the parks.

Air conditioning would reduce the overall capacity among the technical challenges of keeping a battery pack charged.

The wind is much worse in mountainous terrain where these have been tried and tested for many many years. Florida winds are no problem.

Now you don't have to read the other pages. If you think what I said isn't sufficient, you need to read the other pages as arguing with the above points will only lead to heated arguments about you not reading the other pages.
@andysol has been around here for a while.

truecoat

a little extra is nothing compared to what they do already and it wouldnt have to be done very often, think "highway" grass it only grows so tall

But you aren't talking about a highway, you are talking about an area that is swampy by nature. If for some reason the Skyliner stops operation, you probably don't want to wait for someone to mow down a path for the rescue vehicles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom