News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Creathir

Enclosed? Yes. Roof? No. Think of a walled yard.
I suppose that should stop most debris, but hurricanes usually are taller than a wall designed for aesthetics.

Just seems odd they wouldn’t want an enclosed building to put these in during the more extreme weather events.

Aren’t these just fiberglass and glass/plexiglass?

On a separate note, I’m really excited about these coming to this area. Having spent the previous week at Boardwalk, the lack of really waiting for a vehicle will be a huge enhancement to the IG.

surfsupdon

Hoping the Gondolas will work past park hours (I’d imagine at least HS would see extended hours for SW). Gondolas make easy access to the bars and Dance Hall of the Boardwalk from 4 additional Resorts. Atlantic Dance could be a lot more fun now!

Biff215

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but i'm predicting the Cresent Lake Resort area is going to be insanely busy for a very long time after Star Wars land opens, It's just the way it is, It's the closest resort area to DHS and within walking or a short boat ride from the park.
Not bursting my bubble, I agree that SW was going to change the Epcot resort area regardless of the gondolas. It just means my days of scoring a BCV reservation at 7 months is probably over come 2019, and I might not mind so much given how much that area will change.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is wild in my opinion.

Hurricanes DO come thru the area, and most damage at the surface is done by crap in the air...

I’m shocked they don’t plan on having enclosed storage for the vehicles themselves...

If WDW can keep all their garbage cans from flying away in a hurricane, they can handle keeping five hundred pound cabins clamped to a wire surrounded by a fence from blowing away.

Now, what's your next disaster you want to talk about? What's being done to stop World War II fighters from strafing the cabins?

doctornick

And the UK and Canada don't open. Les Halles in France does, for breakfast. Guests then walk through the UK and Canada to FW.

Once the rat ride and whatever is going in UK open, the entirety of those two pavilions will likely be open at park start as well. Would make sense to just open Canada too maybe, but since it doesn't have a breakfast place, maybe not.

I wouldn't expect the Morocco to China pavilions to open, but perhaps they'll have that portion of the guest path open as opposed to blocked off.

Creathir

If WDW can keep all their garbage cans from flying away in a hurricane, they can handle keeping five hundred pound cabins clamped to a wire surrounded by a fence from blowing away.

Now, what's your next disaster you want to talk about? What's being done to stop World War II fighters from strafing the cabins?

Just because I am expressing an opinion you disagree with doesn’t mean you have to be patronizing towards me.

I treat everyone on here with respect, and while I disagree with some I certainly don’t engage by belittling others for their opinions. It’s uncalled for.

cosmicgirl

The grid patterns seen are overhead fixed rails for the gondolas to be moved along for parking. I assume - @Lift Blog may know more - there will be guide rails along the floor too to create "lanes" for parking and to limit sideways sway in poor weather.
Thanks for clarifying that.

I have to say I, too, am surprised that they're not putting a roof overhead. Given the cost of the project the addition of that roof seems marginal. And this has nothing to do with overdramatising potential hurricane doom scenarios. A roof makes sense, if only to keep the cabins that are not in use dry. But I'm sure they have their reasons.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks for clarifying that.

I have to say I, too, am surprised that they're not putting a roof overhead. Given the cost of the project the addition of that roof seems marginal. And this has nothing to do with overdramatising potential hurricane doom scenarios. A roof makes sense, if only to keep the cabins that are not in use dry. But I'm sure they have their reasons.
This project has got costs saved where possible. Believe it or not. I guess in their eyes the cabins are weatherproof so they can be left outside.

Goofyernmost

This project has got costs saved where possible. Believe it or not. I guess in their eyes the cabins are weatherproof so they can be left outside.
It would seem like it would only affect a few and it won't be the same ones day after day anyway, so since 90+% will be outside all the time anyway, it is probably a reasonable assumption to make. So really they are correct. Is there a solid reason other then aesthetics that there needs to be a roof?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I treat everyone on here with respect,

Do you now?

Shhh... you’re not allowed to have an opinion contrary to absolute supremacy of gondola travel around these parts... how dare you express yourself...
;)

You're not going to get anywhere with this line of discussion.

Speaking as someone who shares your concern, particularly in emergency situations where full stoppage occurs, I'd advise you to not waste your time discussing this.

These posts are from your frustration that your disaster-mongering went nowhere. You brought up how children won't be able to use the gondolas. Nor the elderly. Nor people with strollers. Nor those with wheelchairs and EVCs. You argued about lightning and power outages and lines snapping and being too high up to be rescued.

You just brought up hurricanes after already bringing up high winds earlier in the thread.

And then there's this recent post trying to start the A/C argument all over again after being warned that discussion of this is off the table for this thread...

Given the price tag of $200+ million, it honestly astounds me AC isn’t included...

Thanks for your "respect."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom