News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Mainahman

I'm cool with the concept as we stay at pop mostly and would try it at least once, but what stops this becoming the same as it was in the parks and get slightly phased out over years and years

jt04

I'm cool with the concept as we stay at pop mostly and would try it at least once, but what stops this becoming the same as it was in the parks and get slightly phased out over years and years

You would see monorail phased out first. In other words, not anytime soon.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
There was talk for a few years of having a gondola across the Potomac River connecting DC and Arlington, VA. they even did a feasibility study. It's stalled though.

Philadelphia got this far with one over the Delaware River.

1516039235644.png

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

This will be your only transportation option from Pop/AoA to the Studios and Epcot once complete.

Mainahman

This will be your only transportation option from Pop/AoA to the Studios and Epcot once complete.
Really? I guessed I missed that. So they would phase out busses to Studios, and epcot at that point? I'm assuming they would leave AK, and MK bus service, as there doesn't seem to be another good way to get to AK, and short of going all the way to epcot, and then to MK via monorail...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My family and I are going to be staying at the Pop Century, January 2019. Does anyone think it'll be open by then?
I doubt it. I think summer/fall 2019 has been suggested. @marni1971 , any update on likely timeframe for it being operational?
Earliest I’d think it could be carrying anyone is late spring next year. Realistically summer.

truecoat

I'm sure Disney will maintain these pretty well. Usually ski resorts do most of their maintenance during the summer. Since these will be in operation year round, it will have to go down for 'rehab' at some point just like any other attraction.

Modern lifts are very safe and have plenty of sensors and fail safes, very similar to what a roller coaster has. The system knows the exact position of all cabins, the spacing between the cabins etc. and will stop if anything out of the norm occurs. At which point to operators have to contact maintenance to inspect and clear any faults before it can resume operation.

Doppelmayr-Connect-Innovative-Control-System.jpg

(Our gondola wasn't nearly this fancy, pretty jealous of that dude. Would have been happy with a chair.)

At times though maintenance can be reactionary, because sometimes things just break. The gondola I operated once had a bunch of cabins out of commission for a while for various reasons (windows missing, broken door cables, etc.) and they were out of parts to fix them, so the capacity went down for a bit. We didn't have that much space to store cabins when in operation, so we had a stream of like 5 busted cabins with cones inside we would have to wait for before we could continue loading guests.

Since this is going to be in constant operation it would make sense for Disney to have some spare cabins and a larger maintenance bay for swapping out broken cabins.

For a second, I thought this was a painting.

raymusiccity

Really? I guessed I missed that. So they would phase out busses to Studios, and epcot at that point? I'm assuming they would leave AK, and MK bus service, as there doesn't seem to be another good way to get to AK, and short of going all the way to epcot, and then to MK via monorail...

Cutting bus service isn't far fetched at all. Much like not having any bus service from EPCOT to Boardwalk, or no bus service to Bay Lake Tower.

allgiggles

Current security plan is for all stations & lines to be in the security zone. What that means for AoA and PoP, I am not positive. Most likely, the plan is to make one security station in the center, but could easily be two on the bridge entrances.

I sure hope they just have the security check at the entrance to the gondola station. I would find it a bit annoying to have to go through security every time I want to go from AoA to Pop (or vice versa) on that bridge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom