News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sight lines were ruined years ago when they built the Swolphin and Soarin. Soon we'll have the pleasure seeing the Riviera resort towering over World Showcase too!

Sightlines were destroyed by seeing the Future World buildings and convention tent and an uninspiring Showcase Plaza long ago.

And before anyone says they were meant to be seen:

1. So is the Swolphin.

2. And the Swolphin is a heck of a lot better looking than the tin can of Test Track or a giant tent.

Anyhoo, I'm sorry that some people have the opinion that Gondola lifts floating behind France and UK seen from some angles destroys the sightline. I am of the opinion it enhances it.

kevlightyear

It's probably not covered for functional, maintenance and repair reasons.

Yeah. I’ve not seen a system like this that has the junction their covered up.

All well and good, and likely the reason. It's just so.....ugly. A nice building with that thing in front of it. Easily fixed with a sufficiently high enough roof. Make it retractable if need be.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't right smack in front of the nice building.

flyerjab

TrojanUSC

That would be fun on a 90 degree day with no air, mad little kids, no bathroom. And a brake down. Dont sign me up. The bus sounds good..

Meanwhile, the bus could break down stranding you on the side of the road or the monorail could lose power stranding you 30 feet up or the boat could break down stranding you on the water.

Also, once this in operation, there will be no bus service except in certain situations.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't know if the text in the article was Disney provided or not, but Art Nouveau was not early 18th century but late 19th/early 20th century.

Directly from the article:

"The design of the Disney Skyliner station at International Gateway at Epcot will be inspired by the park’s nearby European Pavilions, and will be covered with metal and glass canopies, hand-painted murals and ornamental steel structures that harken back to the early 18th century Art Nouveau style."

Timothy_Q

I don't know if the text in the article was Disney provided or not, but Art Nouveau was not early 18th century but late 19th/early 20th century.

"The design of the Disney Skyliner station at International Gateway at Epcot will be inspired by the park’s nearby European Pavilions, and will be covered with metal and glass canopies, hand-painted murals and ornamental steel structures that harken back to the early 18th century Art Nouveau style."
It did come out in the same day as the HK Disneyland castle concept art.

So it's safe to assume they have no understanding of architectural styles

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Louis XIV is rolling in his grave...

Monorail_Red_77

Those loading station concepts don't quite show reality -- they left out the long, snaking queue and the security checkpoints one will have to endure when approaching the hotel station.
I wonder if they will have security check points at the load stations. Since the gondolas will be dropping guests off outside the security zones of each park. That I think would help the lines to flow faster. Unlike the monorails that are inside the security zone of MK (hopefully EPCOT soon) which need the security checkpoints at the monorail resorts and TTC.

deeevo

Very tastefully done. The buildings work really well in each of their settings. IMO
I feel the same. For some reason I had a vision of a generic looking station with no originality for but I am pleasantly surprised. Of course things can and will change. And not for the better.

nickys

Premium Member
I wonder if they will have security check points at the load stations. Since the gondolas will be dropping guests off outside the security zones of each park. That I think would help the lines to flow faster. Unlike the monorails that are inside the security zone of MK (hopefully EPCOT soon) which need the security checkpoints at the monorail resorts and TTC.

As far as we understand, the layout of the park entrances are being altered so that the stations are inside the security zones of the parks. There will be security to board at the resorts, just like the monorail and the whole gondola system will be within the secure zone.

lazyboy97o

The ridiculously oversized mansard roof at the International Gateway is just bad. It looks like a poorly designed strip mall.

I feel the same. For some reason I had a vision of a generic looking station with no originality for but I am pleasantly surprised. Of course things can and will change. And not for the better.
There is no reason to expect any significant changes.

Fox&Hound

My apologies if this has already been answered: but approximately how high off the ground will these be traveling? Monorail height? Or much lower? I love the idea of these but I not sure if my fear of heights will stop me from enjoying them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom