News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Creathir

Except the gondola doesn't care and runs as efficiently with 8 people as it does with 800. To the guest waiting, the efficiency of busses is not a concern, the waiting is. With the new system, you get increased on and off peak efficiency, less guest waiting and lower costs.
While certainly more efficient, it's not as efficient with 8 as it is with 800.

There is strain on the system and additional power is used to move the 800 than to move the 8.

Gondolas are not a new source of free energy, though that would be nice...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
From bioreconstruct on Twitter, a fence is going in where the DHS gondola station will go.

upload_2017-8-26_19-23-26.png

Kamikaze

@marni any budget numbers that you can share for the gondola project?

Thx

For an infrastructure project, very low. Probably less than $20m. Urban gondola systems cost $3m - $12m per mile, but that includes the inflated cost of building them around existing cities, which Disney for the most part doesn't have to deal with. This entire system is under 3 miles, so $20m puts us basically right in the middle.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni any budget numbers that you can share for the gondola project?

Thx
Nothing I should share. You probably wouldn't believe me anyway.

For an infrastructure project, very low. Probably less than $20m. Urban gondola systems cost $3m - $12m per mile, but that includes the inflated cost of building them around existing cities, which Disney for the most part doesn't have to deal with. This entire system is under 3 miles, so $20m puts us basically right in the middle.
You're way way off I'm afraid.

Creathir

Higher. That's as specific as I'll be for now.
Exactly.

This misnomer that this is some cheap mass transit solution is rediculous.

My guess is probably around $400 million or so...

I'm going to guess it rises even higher when they have to start messing with the engineered bases for the support pillions crossing the lesser developed areas.

Not that monorails or anything else would have been any less (if not more expensive) but this is NOT a miracle transportation system, it will cost money, lots of it, to build.

G00fyDad

Exactly.

This misnomer that this is some cheap mass transit solution is rediculous.

My guess is probably around $400 million or so...

I'm going to guess it rises even higher when they have to start messing with the engineered bases for the support pillions crossing the lesser developed areas.

Not that monorails or anything else would have been any less (if not more expensive) but this is NOT a miracle transportation system, it will cost money, lots of it, to build.

Higher.

G00fyDad

You're joking right?

A monorail system for that short of distance couldn't have been too much more...

I read somewhere that it would cost around $100m per mile for a gondola system to be built and this one will have a footprint of roughly 3 miles. That is $300m for a "point A to point B" system this long. Now add in all of the extra theme additions and the extra stations, etc. Probably not much more than $400m but it will probably be more. Of course this is just me giving my opinion and a "ballpark" figure. Maybe $600m.

Creathir

I read somewhere that it would cost around $100m per mile for a gondola system to be built and this one will have a footprint of roughly 3 miles. That is $300m for a "point A to point B" system this long. Now add in all of the extra theme additions and the extra stations, etc. Probably not much more than $400m but it will probably be more. Of course this is just me giving my opinion and a "ballpark" figure. Maybe $600m.
That is insane.

The Las Vegas Monorail came in right at $150M per mile...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom