News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Monorail_Orange

The gondolas meet the performance criteria of the WEDway PeopleMover that were highlighted in The EPCOT Film.
Oddly enough, so would the WEDway as planned/designed for E.P.C.O.T. As seen not only on WDW's attraction version, but also the original, underground WEDway installed at Houston Intercontinental, which is still in operation daily, after more than 40 years. Mind you, I'm not arguing the WEDway would be cheaper, but it would be fascinating to see it deployed as intended as true transit system rather than a mere curio.

Monorail_Orange

I may be misremembering , but didn't the EPCOT film and city model have a gondola type transportation system in certain places in addition to the Wedway and Monorail?
Respectfully, you are misremembering. The monorail in the EPCOT film was the primary mass transit between the park/resort area, EPCOT, the industrial area, and the jetport. The WEDways were several branch lines within EPCOT and also in the industrial park. There was no gondola illustrated or discussed as a transportation method in Walt's "Florida Project" film.

Knothead

Respectfully, you are misremembering. The monorail in the EPCOT film was the primary mass transit between the park/resort area, EPCOT, the industrial area, and the jetport. The WEDways were several branch lines within EPCOT and also in the industrial park. There was no gondola illustrated or discussed as a transportation method in Walt's "Florida Project" film.
Ok I agree with you and will take your word for it. I just seem to remember (falsely, apparently) an intra-city gondola or skyride type of transport going from the low density residential part of the city beyond the green belt inwards toward the core. If I have time later I might do a search and see if I can find what I'm remembering. Thanks for your input.

truecoat

If you rode the one in New England, you were probably 340 feet higher than you'll ever get on the WDW gondola system.

There seem to be many that imagine the Skyliner to be like this.

Gondola tower 1.jpg

I believe this is more like what we will see in most areas.

Gondola tower 2.jpg

nickys

Premium Member
With almost 300 pages in the thread, it's hard work to come up with new things to complain about.

After around 150 pages I thought we had covered all possible areas of discussion .........And yet here we are!

Still, it provides entertainment for those duller evenings. Or just sheer frustration - take your pick ;)

Kamikaze

After around 150 pages I thought we had covered all possible areas of discussion .........And yet here we are!

Still, it provides entertainment for those duller evenings. Or just sheer frustration - take your pick ;)

With construction actively ongoing, theres no sign of this slowing down now.

Bender123

Well a 20 minute wait with a 8 capacity would be insane.

When there are eight people at the bus stop at 2:30 PM, it really doesn't matter what the capacity is. A 20 minute wait is inane.

People on here tend to focus on the maximum capacity as opposed to the 90% of the operating day, which is far lower ridership than the end of park day rush. The current problem is that you can sit alone for 30 minutes+ at the bus stop waiting for a 40 person capacity bus.

Figment2005

When there are eight people at the bus stop at 2:30 PM, it really doesn't matter what the capacity is. A 20 minute wait is inane.

People on here tend to focus on the maximum capacity as opposed to the 90% of the operating day, which is far lower ridership than the end of park day rush. The current problem is that you can sit alone for 30 minutes+ at the bus stop waiting for a 40 person capacity bus.
This is not a new concept though. During peak you supply transportation to keep up with the massive amount of people trying to get around, and during non peak you cut back a bit so resources aren't wasted. Its the same concept as adjusting your A/C or Heat during the summer and winter. Have your house at a comfortable level while you're home, but adjust the temperature so you aren't cooling or heating something nobody is using when you're not home.

Transportation is still available, but just be prepared if you're traveling at an odd time that wait time might be different. It's the chance that is taken to avoid the crowds.

Bender123

This is not a new concept though. During peak you supply transportation to keep up with the massive amount of people trying to get around, and during non peak you cut back a bit so resources aren't wasted. Its the same concept as adjusting your A/C or Heat during the summer and winter. Have your house at a comfortable level while you're home, but adjust the temperature so you aren't cooling or heating something nobody is using when you're not home.

Transportation is still available, but just be prepared if you're traveling at an odd time that wait time might be different. It's the chance that is taken to avoid the crowds.

Except the gondola doesn't care and runs as efficiently with 8 people as it does with 800. To the guest waiting, the efficiency of busses is not a concern, the waiting is. With the new system, you get increased on and off peak efficiency, less guest waiting and lower costs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom