News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

I was afraid there would be someone who didn't realize this was a joke. There are only 10 cars pictured in the art.
Around here if could very well have been a serious statement. Sorry for missing the chuckle. :) Probably should have quoted the "art" to connect the joke. I didn't go backwards to see where that idea came from.

NobodyElse

I was afraid there would be someone who didn't realize this was a joke. There are only 10 cars pictured in the art.

And before we get away from capacity jokes, let's not forget this official Disney concept art:
Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_30591.jpg

It looks like there might only be room for two mice in each cabin!!!!!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Do you know how much of the trip to the front of Epcot will be underwater? I heard it was going through cresent lake to the the world showcase lagoon.
That's an upcharge -- they call it "Trolling For 'Gators," and it's 59.95 per person (theme park admission required).

Lift Blog

@Lift Blog , any thoughts on how this happened?
This is an older gondola built in the 1960s using bicable technology (one cable hauls while the other one provides stationary support.) It looks to me like there is a second evacuation ropeway that shares the same towers for the over water span. Ironically, that system, which is supposed to help in an emergency, appears to have become entangled with a passing cabin on the main system. It's worth noting the last fatal gondola accident in the U.S. in 1976 at Vail also occurred on a bicable gondola. Disney's system will have just one cable for each section.

Creathir

This is an older gondola built in the 1960s using bicable technology (one cable hauls while the other one provides stationary support.) It looks to me like there is a second evacuation ropeway that shares the same towers for the over water span. Ironically, that system, which is supposed to help in an emergency, appears to have become entangled with a passing cabin on the main system. It's worth noting the last fatal gondola accident in the U.S. in 1976 at Vail also occurred on a bicable gondola. Disney's system will have just one cable for each section.
This incident did make me wonder, can wind push a gondola into a support column, or is the weight of the car just too high for that to happen? Obviously these are usually installed in very windy locations (mountains, hello?!?) but what does prevent a car from swaying into the support? Is it designed that they would hardly ever have that opportunity/be impossible?

KBLovedDisney

I think the "Please stand clear of the doors" warning will definitely have to be a little more stern with Gondola riders. I have ridden the Monorail several times where kids (with parents not paying the flip attention) decide to lean against the door. Of course this freaked me and my husband out one time so much so that we had to step in and sub-parent telling the child not to do that...while their parents continued playing on their phones not paying a bit of attention...:banghead::mad:

Lift Blog

This incident did make me wonder, can wind push a gondola into a support column, or is the weight of the car just too high for that to happen? Obviously these are usually installed in very windy locations (mountains, hello?!?) but what does prevent a car from swaying into the support? Is it designed that they would hardly ever have that opportunity/be impossible?

The simple answer is yes, cabins could theoretically swing into supports but there are guards around the sheave assemblies so that they would bounce off. By code, a cabin cannot hit anything while swinging up to 15 degrees, which is a lot. It is the operator’s responsibility to monitor weather conditions and slow or stop operation if necessary. Doppelmayr supplies anemometers on key towers and wind warnings and wind alarms can be set to make a noise, auto-slow or auto-stop the system.

Last edited:

trainplane3

I think the "Please stand clear of the doors" warning will definitely have to be a little more stern with Gondola riders. I have ridden the Monorail several times where kids (with parents not paying the flip attention) decide to lean against the door. Of course this freaked me and my husband out one time so much so that we had to step in and sub-parent telling the child not to do that...while their parents continued playing on their phones not paying a bit of attention...:banghead::mad:
This reminds me of a time when a kid was climbing on the rails by a bus's backdoor. I saw exactly what was going to happen. Pulled up to Fort Wilderness, door opened, and bam, the kids head got stuck in the bars. The kid SOMEHOW climbed around the rails on the bus to get to the point where the bus's door pinned him when they opened. The mom went insane, yelling at the driver saying she'll sue. She made eye contact with some of us to which I blatantly pointed at the sign that basically says "Keep out of this area/pinch zone" by the rear door (pretty much all buses have those signs).

She got off at the Wilderness lodge and ran right to the front desk. As we passed by (heading to the Roaring Fork), someone behind us yelled at her "You can't fix stupid". Her face...it was a beautiful sight. I feel bad for the kid that their parents lacked any awareness.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
This reminds me of a time when a kid was climbing on the rails by a bus's backdoor. I saw exactly what was going to happen. Pulled up to Fort Wilderness, door opened, and bam, the kids head got stuck in the bars. The kid SOMEHOW climbed around the rails on the bus to get to the point where the bus's door pinned him when they opened. The mom went insane, yelling at the driver saying she'll sue. She made eye contact with some of us to which I blatantly pointed at the sign that basically says "Keep out of this area/pinch zone" by the rear door (pretty much all buses have those signs).

She got off at the Wilderness lodge and ran right to the front desk. As we passed by (heading to the Roaring Fork), someone behind us yelled at her "You can't fix stupid". Her face...it was a beautiful sight. I feel bad for the kid that their parents lacked any awareness.
Disney...Darwin... both six letters, containing "D," "I" and "N"...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom