News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

You can not take a boat or walk to Epcot from the Magic Kingdom monorail resorts. Monorail is the only option I'm afraid.
You are correct... I misread your post. I just take my car, but, then again, I am not one that likes to be shackled by the Disney Company. Actually I always take the Monorail to and from MK or Epcot because I like it. But, I don't have too and that is between parks to me, not resorts.

Biff215

If they insist that people use the magic bus and go on and on about how the immersion experience is something close to Nirvana, then Disney sure as hell better consider on property transportation to be a priority. That is a step beyond personal issue. You create a captive audience you have the responsibility to consider their individual needs. Nothing there is more serious then that.
But you're missing the point. Disney is building the gondolas to lessen their dependence on buses, they're not simply an attraction or extra option. The problem with trying to offer even limited bus service is how could they possibly extend the current every 20 minute interval? Don't want to ride our gondolas? Help yourself to a bus that departs once an hour. Won't that only anger guests further? And continuing to run the buses as usual would be counterproductive.

I understand where you're coming from, and there's no question they'll get some complaints. But there is a precedent for this set by other resorts and transportation options. When the main option isn't available, buses will be brought in as temporary replacements.

Goofyernmost

I don't think it will be half the people at those resorts as someone else suggested, but I think if you offer buses people who don't really need them will end up taking them. I actually don't see full operation of buses being an option at all. Part of what is paying for this system is the savings from removing busses. If they have to run anywhere near the full complement of buses along with the gondola, then the gondola is a failure.
I guess so, I don't always take the Monorail from TTC, I usually take the ferry (ah, yes... an option.)

Maeryk

From certain resort buildings it will be a shorter walk to the buses then to the gondola which is one thing that could make people take the bus over the gondola.

Yep. Also, I think the bus lines there were already at capacity. Building new resorts/expanding the ones they have their would have overcapped the bus system (logistically, you can only have so many buses on a loop before it starts to block itself out and become less efficient).

I know the bus-centric transportation system for the bus-only resorts at Disney has been an issue they have been looking at for a while. I spoke to a guy with a clipboard a few years ago, who had, according to him, been brought over from some other countries park to look over the bus system and try to sort it out. At that particular point they were doing analysis on the PO buses, as they were getting massive crowds at the stops, and buses were arriving at the PO:R main stop already full, due to the smaller stops around the loop. And they were having a hard time adequately anticipating guest demand.. IE: three MK buses would go by mostly empty, and everyone was waiting for a DHS or AK bus.

One of the things he said they were pondering was more "depots" like in front of MK, spread out around the property, to make it more of a hub and spoke transportation system, but I have no idea if that ever got any further discussion. (There would be a central "south" depot, for example, where buses from all the resorts and parks met, and exchanged people, rather than using the parks for that purpose, as they do now)

Goofyernmost

But you're missing the point. Disney is building the gondolas to lessen their dependence on buses, they're not simply an attraction or extra option. The problem with trying to offer even limited bus service is how could they possibly extend the current every 20 minute interval? Don't want to ride our gondolas? Help yourself to a bus that departs once an hour. Won't that only anger guests further? And continuing to run the buses as usual would be counterproductive.

I understand where you're coming from, and there's no question they'll get some complaints. But there is a precedent for this set by other resorts and transportation options. When the main option isn't available, buses will be brought in as temporary replacements.
I'm not missing any point. If they do that I know why... but, life isn't perfect and I firmly believe that this will not completely solve the problem and since it is all two years away, any number of things can change. I think it will be rethought at some point and limited but real options will exist (not forced extra charge options). We will see if my opinion is correct or not. You are echoing what has allegedly been reported as happening, I am of the opinion that that is not what will actually happen. Take that for what it is worth. Since it hasn't happened yet, neither of us know what the end result will be. So we shall see!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you stay at Wilderness Fort, there is no bus to the MK. You must use a boat and even if you have a fear of the water, they won't send a bus for you. Walking is one to two miles.

If you stay at a monorail resort, there is no bus to Epcot. You must use the monorail and even if you have a fear of heights, they won't send a bus for you. Walking is not an option.

If you stay at a Crescent Lake resort (Y&B, BW, Swolphin), there is no bus to Epcot or DHS, you must use the Ferry, and even if you have a fear of the water, they won't send a bus for you. Or, walk (which can be close to a mile).

Disone

If you stay at Wilderness Fort, there is no bus to the MK. You must use a boat and even if you have a fear of the water, they won't send a bus for you. Walking is one to two miles.

If you stay at a monorail resort, there is no bus to Epcot. You must use the monorail and even if you have a fear of heights, they won't send a bus for you. Walking is not an option.

If you stay at a Crescent Lake resort (Y&B, BW, Swolphin), there is no bus to Epcot or DHS, you must use the Ferry, and even if you have a fear of the water, they won't send a bus for you. Or, walk (which can be close to a mile).
Thank you for this. THIS.

Kman101

And yes some resorts force you to use certain modes of transport. But the resorts getting gondolas offer busses. They didn't take away busses to add boats at those other resorts it's how it's been.

Kman101

Don't expect busses to duplicate Gondola routes.

I don't. I was simply musing on whether they'd change course should demand be high, but we're a bit far out and it's just a what if scenario, again I guess I shouldn't have even brought it up. I know they plan to discontinue bus service. Not even saying I take issue with it just that I think many will but I guess it doesn't matter lol

Cosmic Commando

Don't forget that when WDW opened there were no Ferry's. The expected the Monorails to take everyone. That didn't work, for perhaps different reasons, but, it didn't work well enough to not require an alternative.
There were steamships that were slower and smaller than the ferries we have today. They were replaced within a few years, but the monorail was never the only option. Setting your brand new park on the other side of a lake without a boat ride across is like having a gun on a theater stage that never gets fired.

http://www.imaginerding.com/2016/04/04/walt-disney-world-cruise-ships/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom