News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

dvitali

The cabin seats 8.

Cabins depart every 12 seconds.

Out of the station, cabins travel 4m/s (9 mph)

Throughput is rated 2,200 people/hour.

Distance POP to CBR: 900 meters = 225 s = 3.75 min

Distance DHS to CBR: 1,140 meters = 285 s = 4.75 min

Distance CBR to Riviera: 680 meters = 170 s = 2.83 min

Distance Riviera to IG: 1,778 meters = 444 s = 7.40 min
Thank for the information, Just trying to sell myself on why I would use the gondola over a bus, when I consider that AOA/ POP/ CBR is to be one shortest trip to DHS/ EPCOT on Disney property (even faster if they cut thru the woods to the new parking lots in the future).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank for the information, Just trying to sell myself on why I would use the gondola over a bus, when I consider that AOA/ POP/ CBR is to be one shortest trip to DHS/ EPCOT on Disney property (even faster if they cut thru the woods to the new parking lots in the future).

We have heard that bus won't be an option once the gondolas are running.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney is belts and suspenders on transpo whenever possible. I cannot believe there won't at least be limited bus service. At least for people afraid of heights.

Just repeating what sources have said. Part of the value of the gondolas to Disney is the savings on buses. Even limited bus transportation would still have to run quite a bit to be useful.

Daveeeeed

Disney is belts and suspenders on transpo whenever possible. I cannot believe there won't at least be limited bus service. At least for people afraid of heights.
There are at least 18 Disney owned hotels. Not to mention that number explodes when you include villas and associated hotels. Plus even for many people (like myself) with a fear of heights, modern gondolas like the Disney Skyliner are very smooth and feel far more secure than most would imagine. Not to mention it has been proven time and time again to be an effective and safe mode of transportation.

Maeryk

There are at least 18 Disney owned hotels. Not to mention that number explodes when you include villas and associated hotels. Plus even for many people (like myself) with a fear of heights, modern gondolas like the Disney Skyliner are very smooth and feel far more secure than most would imagine. Not to mention it has been proven time and time again to be an effective and safe mode of transportation.

Not arguing any of those points. But we can assume, like the monorail and boats, it's going to shut down in bad weather.

dvitali

Just repeating what sources have said. Part of the value of the gondolas to Disney is the savings on buses. Even limited bus transportation would still have to run quite a bit to be useful.
They would still need buses to MK at AOA/POP/CBR and other points in WDW.
People would have to use a park hopper to go thru Epcot to get thru to the monorail to go MK.

Bolt

They would still need buses to MK at AOA/POP/CBR and other points in WDW.
People would have to use a park hopper to go thru Epcot to get thru to the monorail to go MK.
Yep - and DAK will be the hardest. They will somehow make you go to Blizzard Beach first to catch a transfer bus to DAK.

becca_

Obviously buses would continue to run to magic kingdom and other destinations not serviced by the gondola. It's bus service to Epcot and DHS that would be eliminated.
You can use the MAGICal Minnie Vans to get to Epcot/DHS should you not want to ride in the gondolas!

homerdance

The problem with that is, along with the security check, they would have to check tickets at the CBR south hub for everyone going to the park. If there is a problem with the tickets there is no easy access to guest services to handle it. You would also have to deal with the case of people staying at those resorts and wanting to buy tickets at the gate, I am sure this is rare but don't doubt it happens. Finally doing this would also prevent people from taking the gondola to go to the boardwalk area, or even people from that area choosing to ride it to DHS.
If you are redeeming an AP certificate for the actual ticket, you can only do that at the park.

celluloid

People seem to be forgetting a key fact here: Disney is a company worth billions of dollars, they are paying people smarter than any of us here to design this. No engineer for a corporation that big is going to finish designing the system, have it start construction, and then go "oh sh*t, I forgot that Florida is hot" :rolleyes:

That would be like a major modern calm boat ride at Disney not being Wheelchair accessible

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom