News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Okay... shame they don't do it like DL so you could eliminate part of the gate crush.

Listen, buddy, you have to read the thread. The whole thread. You keep bringing up things that have been brought up before. You're not adding anything new to the discussion. And don't tell my that you're reading the thread... really reading it. You inquired about the gate crush. But did you not see this posted 50 minutes ago?...

You have to go through security to get on the gondola, so, those getting off at the IG station only have to go through tapstiles, which, at the rate they disembark (at max.. 8 people every 12 seconds) can be easily handled. This means the gondola people will not be mixing in with walkers until the walkerd pass security.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
If your looking for obtuse, look in the mirror. I have never said the system wouldn't work only pointed out that there are some areas where it is going to be far from the best experience you can have. So let me put in terms even you should be able to understand. You can ride in a taxi from the airport to MK in the middle of a hot summer day with no AC and only windows rolled down, or you can ride in a taxi with an AC... which one do you really think is the better experience. Both are going to get your there but one is going to be much nicer. Is that clear enough for you to understand.

I have never found the buses to be "the best experience you can have" either.

Monorail_Orange

If your looking for obtuse, look in the mirror. I have never said the system wouldn't work only pointed out that there are some areas where it is going to be far from the best experience you can have. So let me put in terms even you should be able to understand. You can ride in a taxi from the airport to MK in the middle of a hot summer day with no AC and only windows rolled down, or you can ride in a taxi with an AC... which one do you really think is the better experience. Both are going to get your there but one is going to be much nicer. Is that clear enough for you to understand.
Wow...so your response is, "I know you are but what am I." Great comeback, Cal. And then, you try to pivot your position from: no one's going to ride it because it will be like a greenhouse - hence it won't work; to: I never said it wouldn't work just that it needs a/c to be a pleasant experience. As other posters have also noticed, you are continually stuck on the same mantras why this is a bad idea, even though your concerns have been addressed in this thread ad nauseum. Obviously, you have issues with examining your own opinions against others to consider an alternative view. It must be hard to always be right about everything, no?

Goofyernmost

You mean like on every bus at night?
I've argued against that as well. As a veteran of municipal bus driving, we would never think about operating a bus with the interior lights off. I almost panicked one night when riding back to the parking lot from Hoop Dee Doo a family was separated by one row and their little boy (probably around 4 years old) was sitting next to me in the last row in the back of the bus. As soon as we started rolling he immediately fell asleep and was leaning against my arm. I was so worried that when the lights went back on that the parents were going to freak out and be upset. They weren't, but, at the time it just seemed so out of place to have those lights off and it was pitch dark in there. I still think they are wrong to do that. I do understand that it makes the visibility for the driver much clearer with no glare, but, in this day and age, it is just not wise. Most new buses are equipped with cameras now, but, they are useless in the dark.

RSoxNo1

This. Last time I drove through the MK parking lot, my first question was why they don't have Disney Springs-style garages. It'd help keep a bunch of cars cool, take up less space (so more hotels), etc.
Garages are obviously more expensive than parking lots, but the point is well taken. I have to believe an evolution of the TTC is in the works.

Daveeeeed

Garages are obviously more expensive than parking lots, but the point is well taken. I have to believe an evolution of the TTC is in the works.
I hope very badly that an entire TTC makeover is in the works. It looks terrible now, so I cannot imagine how bad it will work for the 50th. I honestly would prefer that to a new ride.

Kamikaze

My question is:
How many cars on the line between station?
How fast does these travel?
Do we really save time on these with all of the stop and go compare to a 10 minute bus ride?

A lot. Enough that one is leaving the station every 15-20 seconds or so. If we knew the exact distance of the lines you could do some napkin math and figure it out. It doesn't really matter though.
Fast enough. Probably around 10mph for this system. The lines are pretty short. You're looking at a 2-3 minute trip per line. (Maybe 4)
There isn't any stopping. Yes, it will be faster in almost all cases than the bus.

Bocabear

I hope very badly that an entire TTC makeover is in the works. It looks terrible now, so I cannot imagine how bad it will work for the 50th. I honestly would prefer that to a new ride.
The TTC has worked perfectly fine for 46 years...yes it could use a refresh, but to want a makeover of a parking lot and transportation hub over any and all new attractions is just silly. YES by all means freshen it up, but it kind of is what it is...

Kamikaze

not sure if this has been asked, will you have to fold up the stroller to go on? or can you wheel them on like on the monorail?

Of course it has. There probably is not a question that hasn't.

The answer is 'it depends'. How many are in your party, how big your stroller is, etc. You will not be forced to fold it up like on a bus.

Here's an OK shot of the inside of an 8 person gondola. It isn't the exact system WDW is getting.
67f74b521b.jpg

As you can see, four seats on each side with a good amount of floor space in the middle. You would be able to roll the stroller right into the middle of the car. Now, if you have an exceptionally large stroller or a lot of big people in your party, you might not be able to fit everyone's legs and the stroller comfortably with the stroller unfolded. But thats down to your specific situation.

thepirateking

I've read hints that the stations could be nicely themed. What about all the pylons/towers?

It will be nifty to ride and better than waiting for a bus, but it seems like a giant eyesore. All those wires and the towers - blech. Remember how poorly the Skyway clashed with Tomorrowland?

I think it's sort of sad that after 50 years there isn't a more effective, attractive and affordable transportation alternative. We've gone from monorails and PeopleMovers to this. I think it's a giant step backwards.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I've read hints that the stations could be nicely themed. What about all the pylons/towers?

It will be nifty to ride and better than waiting for a bus, but it seems like a giant eyesore. All those wires and the towers - blech. Remember how poorly the Skyway clashed with Tomorrowland?

I think it's sort of sad that after 50 years there isn't a more effective, attractive and affordable transportation alternative. We've gone from monorails and PeopleMovers to this. I think it's a giant step backwards.

This is actually a very affordable and effective means of transport.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom