News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Creathir

I don't believe any of the future proposal travels along existing roads.
Thank goodness!

Light rail is not bad as long as it's out of the streets.
I still don't think that is what you are referencing.
I guess I'm hoping for something more interesting... more technologically advanced than a light rail.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...

All right then. You've stumped the band and left me scratching my head. Therefore, I'm going for broke and submitting my guess:

AdEE60U.jpg

Let me know what I've won.

Last edited:

Flalex72

Interesting. I suppose I missed the part where you mention the monorail, which is more difficult to connect to. I would have thought that with the wide medians already existing on most roads, it would be easier to run LRT along an existing right of way than to create new ROW, which would raise the cost and make LRT less likely.

Thank goodness!

Light rail is not bad as long as it's out of the streets.
I still don't think that is what you are referencing.
I guess I'm hoping for something more interesting... more technologically advanced than a light rail.

In the context of this question, I agree that LRT is unlikely. That said, I think LRT in the streets at WDW would be almost the same as LRT on an exclusive ROW at WDW. There are very few intersections at WDW to slow trains down, and those that are could be interfaced with the train signals to give LRT trains green lights more often. The idea of a sleek train gliding past while you sit in traffic would be a powerful image, just as the monorail sails along next to World Drive.

jbolen2

Not sure if I missed it being discussed but why didn't they run the line where I added the red in and leave out the direct to the other hotels? All I could assume was that priority is to those hotels over a faster trip for park hoppers.

Attachments

• IMG_4682.jpg
    IMG_4682.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 250

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not sure if I missed it being discussed but why didn't they run the line where I added the red in and leave out the direct to the other hotels? All I could assume was that priority is to those hotels over a faster trip for park hoppers.

Because, as you suggest, this was about getting people from the resorts back and forth to the parks, not about getting people from Epcot to DHS. There are already boats and walking paths for that, and if the gondola is fast enough it might be just as quick to get from Epcot to DHS via the round about path as it would be to wait for a boat.

Creathir

Because, as you suggest, this was about getting people from the resorts back and forth to the parks, not about getting people from Epcot to DHS. There are already boats and walking paths for that.
To add to that, it has been alluded that something may be going into that large wooded area, possibly a new resort.

Kamikaze

Because, as you suggest, this was about getting people from the resorts back and forth to the parks, not about getting people from Epcot to DHS. There are already boats and walking paths for that, and if the gondola is fast enough it might be just as quick to get from Epcot to DHS via the round about path as it would be to wait for a boat.

Its already quicker to walk, so it stands to reason that its quicker to take the gondola. Those boats are slow once you consider the stops.

jbolen2

As long as they manage to not have to stop the line a ton for slow loaders it should be able to beat the friendship boats still, even if it's only by a lil bit atleast it's something different.

jt04

This is why someone needs to explain to the board the concept known as Hogwarts Express. Less time on transportation = more time in shops.

Kamikaze

As long as they manage to not have to stop the line a ton for slow loaders it should be able to beat the friendship boats still, even if it's only by a lil bit atleast it's something different.

Stopping the lines during operation is something that will only happen very infrequently. Maybe - maybe - once a day. If that. If they find once its running that people take too long to load, they could theoretically slow the line down a little to give more people time to load.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Stopping the lines during operation is something that will only happen very infrequently. Maybe - maybe - once a day. If that. If they find once its running that people take too long to load, they could theoretically slow the line down a little to give more people time to load.

People, this is not a reincarnation of the Skyway. There are no buckets and the gondolas detach from the drive line. Some systems have multiple loading lines but we dont have the design available so we can only speculate.

Kamikaze

People, this is not a reincarnation of the Skyway. There are no buckets and the gondolas detach from the drive line. Some systems have multiple loading lines but we dont have the design available so we can only speculate.

Right, but they still need to load fast enough so that the load station doesn't get filled with cars because that would cause a stop as well. Its not like you have to move quickly, but you do have to move.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom