News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

JoeCamel

I don't think anyone suggested that anyone would fry on the Skyliner. I think it was proposed that if the Skyliner stopped moving for an extended period during a sunny day, that the occupants would bake due to excessive solar radiation. To prevent this occurrence Disney has wisely provided emergency water hydration kits on each gondola.
You left out the lightning fricassee option, you can fry to a crisp

Phil12

You left out the lightning fricassee option, you can fry to a crisp
But if I remember correctly it was pointed out that the entire system is well grounded so that lightning will harmlessly travel through the cables and to the ground without any worry. I also recall someone said that a lightning strike might cause the motors to fail. Since lighting storms in that area clear out so quickly, the sun will be out again in short order exposing the gondola passengers to the dreaded extended solar radiation.⚡⚡

JoeCamel

But if I remember correctly it was pointed out that the entire system is well grounded so that lightning will harmlessly travel through the cables and to the ground without any worry. I also recall someone said that a lightning strike might cause the motors to fail. Since lighting storms in that area clear out so quickly, the sun will be out again in short order exposing the gondola passengers to the dreaded extended solar radiation.⚡⚡
But was it peer reviewed that the system is grounded?
I think not

plus direct strike to your cab........

OG Runner

I don't think anyone suggested that anyone would fry on the Skyliner. I think it was proposed that if the Skyliner stopped moving for an extended period during a sunny day, that the occupants would bake due to excessive solar radiation. To prevent this occurrence Disney has wisely provided emergency water hydration kits on each gondola.

Actually we were pretty bad when the Skyliner was under construction. Just about every possible catastrophe was put out there, including
falling into alligator invested waters and pretty much bursting into flames due to the lack of air conditioning. Yet I thought a mid-air kidnapping was a bit over the top. :D

Patcheslee

Actually we were pretty bad when the Skyliner was under construction. Just about every possible catastrophe was put out there, including
falling into alligator invested waters and pretty much bursting into flames due to the lack of air conditioning. Yet I thought a mid-air kidnapping was a bit over the top. :D
Personally with a fear of heights and drowning, even though it's illogical, getting on it is a bit nerve wracking. Guess it's a good thing we'll ride it to Epcot first and get me some snacks to wind down.

OG Runner

Personally with a fear of heights and drowning, even though it's illogical, getting on it is a bit nerve wracking. Guess it's a good thing we'll ride it to Epcot first and get me some snacks to wind down.

I am right there with you. We stayed at CBR our last visit, so the Skyliner is the only way to get to EPCOT & DHS. Realize it stops
usually a few times during the trip to EPCOT, but usually only for about a minute. It just seems longer when you are hanging over
the highway or the Boardwalk parking lot.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am right there with you. We stayed at CBR our last visit, so the Skyliner is the only way to get to EPCOT & DHS. Realize it stops
usually a few times during the trip to EPCOT, but usually only for about a minute. It just seems longer when you are hanging over
the highway or the Boardwalk parking lot.

It's funny how many people on this thread were adamant that they would not completely cut bus service on the Skyliner routes.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's funny how many people on this thread were adamant that they would not completely cut bus service on the Skyliner routes.
Indeed, this thread is a warning to the "surely they wouldn't..." argument so often used:

Surely, Disney wouldn't have a lift without air conditioning in the gondolas; people will die of heat exhaustion in the Summer!!
Surely, Disney wouldn't cut off bus service for the sake of those with a fear of heights!!

Let's all keep that in mind the next time we hear or are tempted to say, "surely they wouldn't..." (Cf. Splash threads)

DisAl

My only problem with the SkyLiner is that if it shuts down due to weather they tell you that you have to walk to the bus stops in the front. If you just walked from the front that really STINKS to be told you have to walk back. They badly need to have a bus pickup beside the International Gateway station that can take you back to the SkyLiner served resorts if the SkyLiner has to shut down.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My only problem with the SkyLiner is that if it shuts down due to weather they tell you that you have to walk to the bus stops in the front. If you just walked from the front that really STINKS to be told you have to walk back. They badly need to have a bus pickup beside the International Gateway station that can take you back to the SkyLiner served resorts if the SkyLiner has to shut down.
Two weeks ago, this happened to me. But, we were giving the choice of walking to the front, OR, walking to the bus stop at BoardWalk Inn.

Never walk to the front. It was hammered. Because of the rain, I jumped on a bus to DHS, and the line for my Pop bus had no line at all.

Next time, I'm walking to the Dolphin and grabbing a snack, then Uber/Lyft to my hotel.

pdude81

They didn't "completely" cut it, at least not initially. Pre-pandemic I saw a DHS bus show up at Riviera in the morning when the skyliner was running but if I was headed to Epcot or DHS at the time I wouldn't have known it was possible. The app/schedule tells you they don't exist so I'm wondering if there was just one bus that did a loop to skyliner resorts and a particular park or if it was something more dedicated. FWIW I've also seen MK buses show up at GF during good weather post pandemic. None of it makes any sense to me as the schedule/app would tell you not to even check for a bus.

OG Runner

Is there an area where they could even to that, on that end of the park?
Maybe walk to the Boardwalk parking lot. Do they have buses from there?

OG Runner

They didn't "completely" cut it, at least not initially. Pre-pandemic I saw a DHS bus show up at Riviera in the morning when the skyliner was running but if I was headed to Epcot or DHS at the time I wouldn't have known it was possible. The app/schedule tells you they don't exist so I'm wondering if there was just one bus that did a loop to skyliner resorts and a particular park or if it was something more dedicated. FWIW I've also seen MK buses show up at GF during good weather post pandemic. None of it makes any sense to me as the schedule/app would tell you not to even check for a bus.P

Post pandemic they have. You go to the bus stops now and the sign says, for service to EPCOT & DHS take the skyliner.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is there an area where they could even to that, on that end of the park?
Maybe walk to the Boardwalk parking lot. Do they have buses from there?
There’s a road that goes under the waterway right next to EPCOT that connects Boardwalk to Beach Club. They could probably carve out an area in the woods next to that road on the Beach Club side for a bus stop and then shuttle people back to the front of EPCOT to get on the various buses to the resorts. There is not enough space for multiple bus stops for each resort.

nickys

Premium Member
There’s a road that goes under the waterway right next to EPCOT that connects Boardwalk to Beach Club. They could probably carve out an area in the woods next to that road on the Beach Club side for a bus stop and then shuttle people back to the front of EPCOT to get on the various buses to the resorts. There is not enough space for multiple bus stops for each resort.
Isn’t that an emergency access road as well as backstage access? I think it’s used on occasion for access to the Millenium Tent. Not sure they would want hordes of Epcot guests queuing for buses every day - the lightning storms are pretty frequent during the summer months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom