News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Cmdr_Crimson

Epcot line closed around 2:25 this afternoon. CM said it had been stopped just a few minutes when I entered the queue a few minutes earlier. I took the walking trail from Epcot to DHS, and it was moving intermittently when I reached BVD.

At 4:00 it was moving intermittently. At 4:30 it had been running full speed for about 5 minutes, but was still closed to Guests. That was my last sighting of the day.
I was coming back from the Springs when I saw it not moving and saw the signs stating it was closed when I got to the Generation gap bridge at AoA/Pop.

HouCuseChickie

My parents were stuck on the Skyliner today. I got a text from my dad saying they were stuck for 15 minutes. Shortly after they started moving, they stopped again and were informed it would be another 25 minutes before they could move them. They did eventually get back to CBR and Disney gave them a couple of complimentary park tickets to be used for a future date. My dad texted me again later in the afternoon to say they still weren't running.

Incomudro

My parents were stuck on the Skyliner today. I got a text from my dad saying they were stuck for 15 minutes. Shortly after they started moving, they stopped again and were informed it would be another 25 minutes before they could move them. They did eventually get back to CBR and Disney gave them a couple of complimentary park tickets to be used for a future date. My dad texted me again later in the afternoon to say they still weren't running.

Sheesh!
I really want the Skyliner to work reliably - our trip begins April 9th.

Incomudro

Not far from the truth, skiers being smarter always even out the load because it makes sense. I don't know if the Disney crowd will figure that out? You can definitely get the gondola to lean fairly extremely to one side or another or front to back. If you are dealing with some 400 pounders in the gondola they do need to distribute the weight.

Skiing is largely about shifting weight after all. ;)

Parker in NYC

And this is why I haven't yet gone on the Skyliner. Between this and the RoTR operations, I enjoy reading all of the moving goal post defenses of such lousy systems.

*But the monorails break down! Doors fall off! But her emails!

BoarderPhreak

Worked great over the holidays, before Christmas. Didn't go down once that I saw, over two weeks.

i.php

StarWarsGirl

I can't get a clear picture, but the gondolas appear to just be spaced along the cables with some at stations. They appear to be swinging, but not significantly. Disney is right to close them, but they clearly planned for this.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I can't get a clear picture, but the gondolas appear to just be spaced along the cables with some at stations. They appear to be swinging, but not significantly. Disney is right to close them, but they clearly planned for this.
I’ll get a picture when I get back from the after hours, they are swinging but not crazy.

StarWarsGirl

I’ll get a picture when I get back from the after hours, they are swinging but not crazy.
Yeah, I can see them from my room, but there's too many trees. Quite a few are at the turn station.

Have fun at after hours. Not many people were at AK when I left, so it should be a good night.

lilypgirl

It varies depending on where you are in the system, but the maximum height is pegged at 60 feet.
They tend to bounce on the wire haul rope while in motion so the height off the ground varies from inches to 60 feet.
Thanks so much for the info. We booked two nights of our 8 day trip at POP simply to utilize these and now I may be rethinking it. I don't mind heights when I am on ride going fast but just dangling there might not be my thing.

joelkfla

Thanks so much for the info. We booked two nights of our 8 day trip at POP simply to utilize these and now I may be rethinking it. I don't mind heights when I am on ride going fast but just dangling there might not be my thing.
They rarely stop completely while online. Normally, they move at 11 mph. When someone is having difficulty getting on or off, they slow to half that speed, usually just for a few seconds. At all stations except Riviera, wheelchairs are loaded offline, so stopping the main line is not required. Full stops usually happen only when there is a problem, and those stops are becoming less and less frequent.

Obviously, @Phil12 was trying to be funny. There's a bit of bounce and sway, but usually you have to be looking for it to notice. Most people have found the ride very enjoyable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom