News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Heppenheimer

Handicapped spur. At all stations except Riviera, gondolas can be pulled from the main line for easier boarding of ECVs and wheelchairs, then re-inserted into the main line to continue on. At Riviera, they just slow the line to half-speed.
Cool, thanks (and to ABQ).

I haven't followed this whole discussion, so here's a follow-up question. Are the problems with the stoppages on the lines with the HC spurs or the one without?

joelkfla

Handicapped accessible spur, where the gondola comes of fthe main line and can be stopped entirely for load/unload before being brought back onto the main line, not impacting main line performance.
Handicapped spur. At all stations except Riviera, gondolas can be pulled from the main line for easier boarding of ECVs and wheelchairs, then re-inserted into the main line to continue on. At Riviera, they just slow the line to half-speed.
Technically, they are not spurs, they are loops or secondary loading areas. By definition, a spur is a stub, aka dead end. https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/about-us/company-overview/railroad-dictionary/?i=S

Also, Disney never uses the term "handicapped". On the Skyliner system, the term "WAV" for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle is used. Physically challenged Guests are generally referred to as Guests needing special assistance, or just special Guests for short.

joelkfla

Cool, thanks (and to ABQ).

I haven't followed this whole discussion, so here's a follow-up question. Are the problems with the stoppages on the lines with the HC spurs or the one without?
That is the question to which nobody outside of Disney knows the answer -- but lots of people are making assumptions.

ETA: I slightly misread your question. Most of the problems have been on the Epcot line, which has 2 stations with WAV loops and one station without. But Disney isn't saying whether the problems are originating at the stations with or the the station without the loop, or not station-related at all.

The other 2 lines which have WAV loops at all stations have had downtime, but I don't recall reading of anyone hanging for 20 minutes.

The Epcot line is also much longer than the others and the only line which makes turns: one at the Riviera station, and another where there is no boarding. Those could also be contributing factors.

Last edited:

Ravenclaw78

Technically, they are not spurs, they are loops or secondary loading areas. By definition, a spur is a stub, aka dead end. https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/about-us/company-overview/railroad-dictionary/?i=S

Also, Disney never uses the term "handicapped". On the Skyliner system, the term "WAV" for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle is used. Physically challenged Guests are generally referred to as Guests needing special assistance, or just special Guests for short.
Maybe a bit pedantic, but you are correct. It's a loop, not actually a spur.

Goofyernmost

Delays are one thing.
There's a difference between a bus running late and not showing up at a bus stop on time, than multiple gondola cabins stopping and leaving their passengers dangling in the air face to face with strangers for prolonged periods of time.
The bus doesn't stop on the road on route to its destination laden with passengers, and sit there for minutes at a time.
As I state repeatedly, it's different with and in a gondola.
The closest equivalent as far as Disney transportation goes would be if the Friendship boats stopped mid travel and sat out in the water for 10, 15, 20 minutes at a time.
I want to like the Skyliner.
I want to ride it.
But it is clearly not operating as it was intended to.
If you are stuck on the side of a road in the middle of nowhere on a bus that caught fire, pre-cell phone, I'll take the Gondola's. Besides to my knowledge that only happened once (so far) and it has turned into a mountain. I will agree that it is having a bit of a rough start, but, we only hear about the few minutes that there has been a delay and not the hours and hours of steady operation with stops only to load someone that may have been in need of extra assistance. I'd ride them in a heartbeat. This is such a first world problem, really! If this is the worst experience someone has, they have lived a fortunate life.

Goofyernmost

What? Of course there are varying levels of reliability. You can say one form of transportation is less reliable than another without having to provide an alternative that is completely free of delays. One might stop more often than another. One might be easier to evacuate than another. One might be more of a hassle to endure while being stuck. All sorts of shades of gray to use in comparing systems without having to provide an alternative that is free of delays.

Saying 2 systems both have delays does not mean the two are equal.
That wasn't how you first approached it, but even taking that into account. If you are grown up and not being dragged places by your parents the good news is you don't have to ever step foot on it. And the times recently where there was a delay there really was no big deal attached with it. All of those resorts, except the new one survived for years with bus service. It really is that simple. If you fear that you will get caught on it and have to be evacuated just don't get on one. And if you say that they charged more because of the Gondola's, seriously, do you think they were not going to raise the prices with or without the Gondola's. When is everyone going to recognize the Monorails as being difficult to evacuate and don't just because it is an Icon from the early days. I would ride a Gondola long before I would get on a Monorail in its current aging condition. But even then I would ride both without fear. It will work it's kinks out and be the best thing they ever did in the form of transportation, less polluting, more fun and will be more reliable then any of the others with time.

drizgirl

If you are stuck on the side of a road in the middle of nowhere on a bus that caught fire, pre-cell phone, I'll take the Gondola's. Besides to my knowledge that only happened once (so far) and it has turned into a mountain. I will agree that it is having a bit of a rough start, but, we only hear about the few minutes that there has been a delay and not the hours and hours of steady operation with stops only to load someone that may have been in need of extra assistance. I'd ride them in a heartbeat. This is such a first world problem, really! If this is the worst experience someone has, they have lived a fortunate life.

Except it's not pre-cell phone days.

That wasn't how you first approached it, but even taking that into account. If you are grown up and not being dragged places by your parents the good news is you don't have to ever step foot on it. And the times recently where there was a delay there really was no big deal attached with it. All of those resorts, except the new one survived for years with bus service. It really is that simple. If you fear that you will get caught on it and have to be evacuated just don't get on one. And if you say that they charged more because of the Gondola's, seriously, do you think they were not going to raise the prices with or without the Gondola's. When is everyone going to recognize the Monorails as being difficult to evacuate and don't just because it is an Icon from the early days. I would ride a Gondola long before I would get on a Monorail in its current aging condition. But even then I would ride both without fear. It will work it's kinks out and be the best thing they ever did in the form of transportation, less polluting, more fun and will be more reliable then any of the others with time.

Yes, they were going to raise the hotel prices. But they are raising them at the gondola resorts a lot more. Once again, it's not either/or. There are degrees of change.

Goofyernmost

Does this happen regularly?
Because it's happening regularly with the Skyliner.
I believe it only happened once where people were stranded for a long period of time and that proved to be the result of panic and not that it had to be that way.
Are you saying the exaggeration is that these stoppage even occur? Or how frequent? Or how long they last?

Or are you saying the reactions to the stoppages are exaggerations and people should just go with the flow and suck it up?
A huge combination of the two. People are basically wimps that have never had to deal with hardships or inconveniences. This many pages on a transportation system is an exaggerated reaction to a small problem. People act like Disney has sent them a personal bill to pay for this and we want our money back, dammit. Everyone just needs to be an adult with perspective on what is a real problem and what isn't.

Goofyernmost

Except it's not pre-cell phone days.

Yes, they were going to raise the hotel prices. But they are raising them at the gondola resorts a lot more. Once again, it's not either/or. There are degrees of change.
That isn't the point, it is about human reaction to minor adverse situations and the ability to understand that crap happens and we must all learn to deal with those always possible difficulties without a constant whining sound in the background. Deliberately imposed hardships, OK, but for stuff like this the overreaction and unreasonable expectations of "Pixie Dust" to fix everything is palpable.

surfsupdon

Do any of the parks have unsheltered bus stops still? Maybe the water parks?
When Friendship service is halted because of weather, Disney set up temporary bus stops at both Hollywood Studios and Epcot for Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk/Swan/Dolphin. There were simple rope switchbacks with one umbrella at the head of the line. So, yes, we would get poured on while waiting for a bus.

Does anyone know with the Studios’ bus depot upgrade, are there extra stalls for busses??

Incomudro

That isn't the point, it is about human reaction to minor adverse situations and the ability to understand that crap happens and we must all learn to deal with those always possible difficulties without a constant whining sound in the background. Deliberately imposed hardships, OK, but for stuff like this the overreaction and unreasonable expectations of "Pixie Dust" to fix everything is palpable.

It's about a transportation system that is routinely stopping on route for minutes at a time, and even going down completely for periods of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom