News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Creathir

Which begs the question, why didn’t they just build a single hop from DHS to Epcot and another from Riviera to Trinidad? All the same destinations served with no angle stations.
My guess is 3 factors were involved in that decision:

1. A DHS to Epcot line doesn’t serve a hotel/resort, so it cannot effectively be covered by the budget as a capital improvement of that resort.

2. A DHS to Epcot line encourages the use of this line between the two parks. It likely would lead to parking increases and consequently IG capacity issues at DHS for folks wanting the fastest route to WS.

3. Storage systems would be needed at either IG or DHS for hurricane prep.

4. This being the most likely reason, now 2 parks have 4 resorts of traffic heading across the DHS-CBR line at peak times (open and close) in the same direction. LOTS of backups would happen at the DHS station as folks head home.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which begs the question, why didn’t they just build a single hop from DHS to Epcot and another from Riviera to Trinidad? All the same destinations served with no angle stations.
That or just have the main Caribbean Beach station and Riviera at one combined station where Riviera station is today. They could have built the DHS line from there instead and just made the length from AoA to Riviera a single stretch.

Disone

That or just have the main Caribbean Beach station and Riviera at one combined station where Riviera station is today. They could have built the DHS line from there instead and just made the length from AoA to Riviera a single stretch.
This. Riviera station should have been the main station. Hollywood Studios could have been angled differently to go to the Riviera. Art of Animation would have stretched to go to Riviera. And then the Riviera would have had Direct access to Epcot as it does now.

This would have avoided having some stations with Ada load zones and other stations without.

Last edited:

joelkfla

That would be a long walk from half of CBR. As it is now, the station is an easy walk from most of the resort.

And the large station and storage yard would take away revenue-producing space from CBR or Riviera. The current location is on previously undeveloped land.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That would be a long walk from half of CBR. As it is now, the station is an easy walk from most of the resort.

And the large station and storage yard would take away revenue-producing space from CBR or Riviera. The current location is on previously undeveloped land.
Yeah, a slightly longer walk vs 30 min+ Shutdowns on the line. I see where that trade-off makes sense :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Riviera wasn’t even built yet when the system was designed so there’s no issue with taking anything away. Could have just tweaked the plans.

joelkfla

Yeah, a slightly longer walk vs 30 min+ Shutdowns on the line. I see where that trade-off makes sense :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Riviera wasn’t even built yet when the system was designed so there’s no issue with taking anything away. Could have just tweaked the plans.
I've seen a few reports of 20 minute delays, but not more than one 30 minute delay (excluding the crash). And I haven't seen any evidence that the long delays are specifically related to Riviera. And even if they are, clearly neither Disney nor Doppelmayr anticipated them, or they would have done something differently. So castigating them for not changing the layout to avoid them makes no sense.

Putting the main station at Riviera would have required more land. Thus it would have reduced the size of Riviera's footprint, or required demolition of more buildings at CBR. You can tweak, but less is still less. The existing station is on "free" land.

tonymu

Premium Member
They should have just spent the money and made the Riviera station larger with the double loading zones. The extra loops could have been perpendicular to the main line with load and unload for the main line on either side of it.
...................................EPCOT
.................................... | ^
.....Regular unload | | Regular load
..................... ________| |_______
.....................(________| |_______) Handicap Loading Loops
.................................... | |
..........Regular load | | Regular unload
.................................... v |
......................Caribbean Station

Kamikaze

Which is why I asked what the skyliner hours were and if there was a place to find those hours posted....

Unfortunately they have been varying almost by the day due to the way DHS hours have been changing. Both because of RotR and the holiday rush. I would imagine they will go back to posted hours shortly after the 1st.

Incomudro

Some of this is that when it stops for extended periods, it gets reported A LOT. I'm sure if we actually kept a tracker (like the Everest effects thread) it wouldn't seem anywhere near as prevalent as it looks. I don't have the time to look back, but before @gerarar was stuck, how long ago was the last long stoppage that was reported?

Transportation stopping is different than rides stopping.
Want to hear how stupid people are? I was on one of my shooting forum sites. Lots of pictures, you know us guys, we have expensive toys. Well one guy asks how many cartridges does that 30 round magazine hold. I answered 15 3/4.🤪🤪🤪

That is how dumb some people are.😡😡😡

What color was George Washington's white horse?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom