News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

Regardless.
There is a psychological difference for most people where it is more uncomfortable to be in a more intimate enclosure with just say two people who they don't know - than it is to be in a larger enclosure with many people who they do not know.
That's the way it works for the vast majority of humans.
I never found anyone I didn't know while in WDW. If I had never seen them before all I had to do was start to talk about WDW and I instantly had a connection with someone that shared my same interest in the place. You don't have to find a topic to break the ice You just say hello, how long have you been here or have you come before and how do you like the resort and you have plenty of conversation until you get wherever you are headed. When there are any number of people in a small space and all are quiet, then it is pretty safe to say that all are not very social people.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
What we know, based on inform from @MisterPenguin

• This is verified by around 5 insiders, permits, the beginning of construction, and documents obtained by the Orlando Sentinel. [confirmed at D23 2017]

• It will connect POP/AoA and Caribbean with DHS/Epcot. And likely raise the prices there.

• Possible I.D. of the gondola make and model here.

• Can gondolas handle wheelchairs, strollers, and EVC? Yes, here.

• Will it be installed in other places? No plans right now, but, always a possibility if it works out well.

• All the gondola stations will be ground level with a steep incline coming in/out [here]

• gondolas stations will be themed to nearby architecture: International Gateway will be Parisian; DHS will be Art Deco; AoA/Pop will be a Wave (near Little Mermaid); CBR Stations will be regal and stoney (which is which isn't confirmed). [here]

• gondolas will be 8 person cabins from Doppelmayr, have a through-put of 5,000 people per hour, have wi-fi, and ample passive ventilation [here]

• It has been reported that the gondola's will NOT have air conditioning, but there is extensive discussion that this should not be an issue.
11/20/2018:​
Official word from Disney, no A/C:​
A Walt Disney World spokeswoman confirmed Tuesday that the gondolas would not have AC. The cabins were “specifically tailored to provide a comfortable ride for our guests in the Florida climate,” she said. The units will use cross-ventilation for sufficient air flow and reflective windows to prevent direct sunlight, she said.

This has been discussed in other threads but it is time for it to have it's own thread.

Recent permits related to Caribbean Beach Resort and DHS seem to indicate that a new transportation system between CBR, DHS, Epcot and possible AOA might be in the works.

The CBR permit showed these two new structures which by themselves don't look to interesting.

View attachment 189658

A DHS permit this week shows two more new structure around DHS, as well as a construction access road which is not shown here.

View attachment 189659

The shapes, location, and orientation of these structure form a interesting pattern that may not be coincidental. Thanks to @P_Radden for this map.

Based on this information a gondola/skyride system of some sort looks like a possibility.

1. First look at concept art: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-gondola-transportation-disney-skyliner.924477/post-7988587
  2. Additional IG, DHS concept art: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-gondola-transportation-disney-skyliner.924477/post-8274905
  3. Pop/AoA concept art: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-gondola-transportation-disney-skyliner.924477/post-8032964
Character overlays seen so far:
1 - Peter Pan
2 - Finding Nemo
3 - Minnie/Mickey/Pluto/Chip/Dale
4 - Toy Story
5 - Zootopia
6 - Monsters Inc
7 - Star Wars
8 - Stitch
9 - Daisy/Donald/Huey/Dewey/Louie/Scrooge McDuck
10 - Goofy/Pete/Horace/Clarabelle
11 - Winnie the Pooh
12 - Coco
13 - Guardians of the Galaxy
14 - Beauty and the Beast
15 - Wreck-it-Ralph
16 - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
17 - Pirates of the Caribbean
18 - Haunted Mansion
19 - Ratatouille
20 - Moana
21 - Frozen
22 - Princess and the Frog.

Car number list

200 - Red Pluto, Chip and Dale, Mickey and Minnie
201 - Red Chip and Dale, Pluto, Mickey and Minnie
203 - Red Pirates of the Caribbean
208 - Red Wreck it Ralph
209 - Purple Haunted Mansion
210 - Purple Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
211 - Purple Monsters Inc.
212 - Purple Stitch
216 - Green Zootopia
217 - Green Ducktales
218 - Green Pete, Goofy, Horace and Clarabelle
222 - Red Toy Story
223 - Red Peter Pan
229 - Blue Guardians of the Galaxy
231 - Blue Beauty and the Beast
235 - Orange Coco
238 - Orange Finding Nemo
239 - Orange Toy Story
240 - Orange Wreck it Ralph
241 - Orange Star Wars
243 - Orange
244 - Orange
250 - Orange
251 - Orange
253 - Orange
273 - Teal Frozen
274 - Teal Moana
278 - Teal
281 - Teal
282 - Teal
284 - Teal Princess and the Frog
286 - Teal
289 - Teal Ratatouille
290 - Teal Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
306 - Yellow Pete, Goofy, Horace, and Clarabelle
307 - Yellow Beauty and the Beast
312 - Yellow Winnie the Pooh
315 - Yellow
334 - Yellow
Excuse my French, but you’re full of doo doo. No way are they building a failed transportation mode that results in loss of life or limb for 22% of riders.

lazyboy97o

The cited release actually says five stations; I didn't see the number of lines mentioned. "By Winter 2020." That gives them 3 1/2 months. I guess the stations will be a lot less elaborate than Disney's.

They also purchased a copy of Mickey's Fun Wheel as at DCA, which itself was an update of the Wonder Wheel which has been in operation at Coney Island for 99 years
Winter 2020 more likely means the end of 2020. This is also a resort that announced a Cirque du Soleil theme park that was supposed to open last year.

Phil12

I never found anyone I didn't know while in WDW. If I had never seen them before all I had to do was start to talk about WDW and I instantly had a connection with someone that shared my same interest in the place. You don't have to find a topic to break the ice You just say hello, how long have you been here or have you come before and how do you like the resort and you have plenty of conversation until you get wherever you are headed. When there are any number of people in a small space and all are quiet, then it is pretty safe to say that all are not very social people.
Who wants to be social with a bunch of Disney dweebs?

Incomudro

This has nothing to do with my point.
Matter of fact it reinforces the point that a smaller vessel with just a couple of other people puts people in a more intimate setting where they may feel pressured to engage the other group.
In a large enclosure with lots of other people - bus, monorail - people don't feel the same pressures.

Goofyernmost

Matter of fact it reinforces the point that a smaller vessel with just a couple of other people puts people in a more intimate setting where they may feel pressured to engage the other group.
In a large enclosure with lots of other people - bus, monorail - people don't feel the same pressures.
I guess it just boils down to some people are intimidated by other people and some people aren't. I enjoy my conversations with strangers as much as I enjoy the parks themselves. Back in the days before FP, we had all kinds of opportunity to meet people in the switchback lines over and over again, much closer to others then any Gondola will enable. We talked, we laughed and after that particular ride we never usually saw each other again. There just people that are all there to go to a theme park. There is no easier group of people to have a no stress conversation with connected to one huge common experience. There is no bigger common experience then talking about WDW while in WDW. So,like I said if that type of situation is a problem for anyone, then there will be no real relief anywhere in the parks.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Heading to DHS this early evening from PoP, the two of us had a gondola to ourselves.

Leaving DHS there was the usual line that spilled out of the queue, but it moved quickly. More quickly than in early October. A CM with a mic and speaker was telling people that they would be 10 to a gondola. And they indeed fill the gondolas to 10 if they could. I guess that's why the line moved quickly.

They CMs were also making sure that people weren't getting on to go to Epcot, since that line was closed. Seeing two groups turned away, it is apparent that people who park at EPCOT or expect to use the monorail to TTC forget that when EPCOT closes, they can't get to the front gate from the gondola because EPCOT itself is closed and you can't cut through it. Oops. Buses for you!

Creathir

Heading to DHS this early evening from PoP, the two of us had a gondola to ourselves.

Leaving DHS there was the usual line that spilled out of the queue, but it moved quickly. More quickly than in early October. A CM with a mic and speaker was telling people that they would be 10 to a gondola. And they indeed fill the gondolas to 10 if they could. I guess that's why the line moved quickly.

They CMs were also making sure that people weren't getting on to go to Epcot, since that line was closed. Seeing two groups turned away, it is apparent that people who park at EPCOT or expect to use the monorail to TTC forget that when EPCOT closes, they can't get to the front gate from the gondola because EPCOT itself is closed and you can't cut through it. Oops. Buses for you!
On the ride back, were you in one with 10? If so, how crowded did it feel?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Well said. Unfortunately, people are way too emotional and self diagnosed these days. Heaven forbid they have to say hello to a stranger and possibly strike up a conversation in real life. *Gasp!

A few years ago my wife and I were having drinks at Crews Cup Lounge (Yacht Club) and it was packed. We were sitting at the table area that had two extra chairs. A couple walked in and couldnt find a seat so we offered the two chairs at our table for them. They accepted and insisted they buy us a drink. After several minutes of conversation we learned that the couple was Graham Russell from the band Air Supply and his wife! Air Supply was performing for Food and Wine. We wound up hanging out for nearly an hour and they invited us to join them backstage for their show the next evening. Long and short, you never what can come from starting a conversation or who you may meet. Whether its the gondolas or a crowded bar, as you said, its not hard to find a connection, especially in a place like WDW.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
On the ride back, were you in one with 10? If so, how crowded did it feel?
Totally comfortable, but then again, there were children each time who take up less room than adults.

I expected to be 10 to gondola because that's what the CMs were announcing, but on each leg from DHS the two of us entered after the group ahead of us and they were a bit surprised they didn't have the gondola to themselves. But that was just for seating arrangements. They, and we, didn't mind the sharing.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The only pressure would be the fear of being judged by someone. And even if you dont speak to them, they can still judge you or form an opinion. If a persons anxiety is that severe, then they shouldnt ride the gondolas. Disney built the gondoals to transport people, not cater to their disorders.

ThistleMae

Rode this for the first time Monday and it was amazing. Very smooth and quiet. On my two trips there was one long line and it moved quickly. The way it keeps your body from lurching forward when approaching a station was incredible. I can't speak to internal temperature because the weather was nice but there was no noticeable air flow on the way to DHS. All the other legs had a nice breeze. On one leg it stopped and I was stuck in Riviera for a few minutes. The gondolas on the line ahead of me were bouncing up and down and I was glad I wasn't up there. Would ride again.
When you get off at Caribbean, do you have to go down or up stairs to continue on to the parks?

Goofyernmost

Well said. Unfortunately, people are way too emotional and self diagnosed these days. Heaven forbid they have to say hello to a stranger and possibly strike up a conversation in real life. *Gasp!

A few years ago my wife and I were having drinks at Crews Cup Lounge (Yacht Club) and it was packed. We were sitting at the table area that had two extra chairs. A couple walked in and couldnt find a seat so we offered the two chairs at our table for them. They accepted and insisted they buy us a drink. After several minutes of conversation we learned that the couple was Graham Russell from the band Air Supply and his wife! Air Supply was performing for Food and Wine. We wound up hanging out for nearly an hour and they invited us to join them backstage for their show the next evening. Long and short, you never what can come from starting a conversation or who you may meet. Whether its the gondolas or a crowded bar, as you said, its not hard to find a connection, especially in a place like WDW.
Some of my greatest memories happened because I had the nerve to "Talk to Strangers". I had a strange, but sweet, thing happen on one of my Florida Trips. I had made a day trip to the Kennedy Space Center and while there I decided to go to see that movie, The Big Blue Marble" I think it was called. I got my seat and right after a family that was just coming from a Disney Cruise and stopped in there on their way to WDW came in and sat next to me. They had the cutest little girl, I think about 3 or 4 (I didn't ask). I said hello to all of them and I started to talk to the little girl. She told me all about her experiences on the cruise and was so excited about going to WDW to see one of the princesses, I don't remember which one. Anyway, I continued to ask her questions and told her that I was going to go to the Magic Kingdom the next day. Her parents said that they were starting at AK and working their way around the four parks. I told them that I was doing the same thing but starting at MK. The movie started and the sweetie put her head against my shoulder and fell sound asleep. It had been a long time since my girls had been little enough to do that and it made my day and really my trip. Her parents were concerned that I might be uncomfortable and just told them she was fine she must be tired from all the excitement. She slept through the movie and then it was time to leave so I told her to look around when you are in the parks and if you see me yell out my name and wave to me. She said OK! 😍

The next day, as planned I went to MK and was wandering around what was Fantasyland, at the time, and I spotted the family. She happened to look up and yelled out my name. I waved back and went over to greet them. I asked.. I thought you were going to AK today? The Mom replied that they were, but that little girl asked to go to MK so she could find me. Man, I felt like a celebrity. We exchanged a few words and I said goodbye to all of them and that was the last time I saw any of them. We never managed to connect again, but I was still amazed that we were able to meet even once. That was probably 15 years ago and that sweetie would probably be out of high school now and on her way to College. She sure had a memory and because of that she became a wonderful memory for me. And all that took was just saying hello to strangers. To paraphrase Ferris Bueller: Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to interact with your fellow man there is no limit to what you are missing out on!

ImperfectPixie

I guess it just boils down to some people are intimidated by other people and some people aren't. I enjoy my conversations with strangers as much as I enjoy the parks themselves. Back in the days before FP, we had all kinds of opportunity to meet people in the switchback lines over and over again, much closer to others then any Gondola will enable. We talked, we laughed and after that particular ride we never usually saw each other again. There just people that are all there to go to a theme park. There is no easier group of people to have a no stress conversation with connected to one huge common experience. There is no bigger common experience then talking about WDW while in WDW. So,like I said if that type of situation is a problem for anyone, then there will be no real relief anywhere in the parks.

I'm also one of those fruitcakes that love talking to people in lines at Disney...or pretty much anywhere for that matter. I also love trying to elicit smiles from people in public in general. Life can be hard, we can all have crappy days...might as well try to be nice to each other.

Creathir

Totally comfortable, but then again, there were children each time who take up less room than adults.

I expected to be 10 to gondola because that's what the CMs were announcing, but on each leg from DHS the two of us entered after the group ahead of us and they were a bit surprised they didn't have the gondola to themselves. But that was just for seating arrangements. They, and we, didn't mind the sharing.
Thanks for sharing!

I would imagine with kids it probably isn’t too bad.
I’d be curious what it was like for 10 adults.
I’m a big guy so they likely wouldn’t stick 9 other folks in with me anyway, but still curious.

Disone

Some of my greatest memories happened because I had the nerve to "Talk to Strangers". I had a strange, but sweet, thing happen on one of my Florida Trips. I had made a day trip to the Kennedy Space Center and while there I decided to go to see that movie, The Big Blue Marble" I think it was called. I got my seat and right after a family that was just coming from a Disney Cruise and stopped in there on their way to WDW came in and sat next to me. They had the cutest little girl, I think about 3 or 4 (I didn't ask). I said hello to all of them and I started to talk to the little girl. She told me all about her experiences on the cruise and was so excited about going to WDW to see one of the princesses, I don't remember which one. Anyway, I continued to ask her questions and told her that I was going to go to the Magic Kingdom the next day. Her parents said that they were starting at AK and working their way around the four parks. I told them that I was doing the same thing but starting at MK. The movie started and the sweetie put her head against my shoulder and fell sound asleep. It had been a long time since my girls had been little enough to do that and it made my day and really my trip. Her parents were concerned that I might be uncomfortable and just told them she was fine she must be tired from all the excitement. She slept through the movie and then it was time to leave so I told her to look around when you are in the parks and if you see me yell out my name and wave to me. She said OK! 😍

The next day, as planned I went to MK and was wandering around what was Fantasyland, at the time, and I spotted the family. She happened to look up and yelled out my name. I waved back and went over to greet them. I asked.. I thought you were going to AK today? The Mom replied that they were, but that little girl asked to go to MK so she could find me. Man, I felt like a celebrity. We exchanged a few words and I said goodbye to all of them and that was the last time I saw any of them. We never managed to connect again, but I was still amazed that we were able to meet even once. That was probably 15 years ago and that sweetie would probably be out of high school now and on her way to College. She sure had a memory and because of that she became a wonderful memory for me. And all that took was just saying hello to strangers. To paraphrase Ferris Bueller: Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to interact with your fellow man there is no limit to what you are missing out on!
Today we have a hard time connecting to those is a 10foot radius around us because our eyes are locked onto our cell phone screens. Beautiful story though. It's what I use to love so much about cruising..... They use to have no cell phone service. I miss those simpler days.

Despite all that, like you I typically will have a small conversation with those who ride in the same Gondola as myself.

Y'all been warned :)

Heppenheimer

I rode the new Doppelmayr-built gondola at Bretton Woods for the first time today. Ran very smoothly. There were a few random stops, the longest was about two minutes. There was no announcement (no PA system), but nobody panicked or complained, and the system soon started moving again. On a particularly cold day, the sealed vehicles did a good job of trapping the passengers' body heat, so the inside was very comfortable, if not exactly toasty. Strangers carried on pleasent conversations, without any acrimony. The system is also relatively quiet, even when running through the support towers.

All in all, a nice addition to this ski resort. Prior to this gondola opening, skiers needed to take two separate lifts to reach the mountain summit, so having a non-stop option is welcome.

Can't wait to ride the Disney Skyliner when I visit next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom