News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

matt9112

Why are people with medical conditions and known fears getting on this?

Its disney world....the vast spectrum of guests visiting is likely very diverse. That includes health conditions and the like. You can say "well don't get on if you have xyz or this or that" but this is the real world. You need to plan around what people will do and not what you want them to do.

Goofyernmost

Maybe they will now! Actually, because Bretton Woods is owned by the Mount Washington Hotel and it attracts a lot of non-skiing tourists, there may be some ECV-bound guests who might want to try a scenic excursion.

View attachment 423899

Just hoping nobody has a panic attack during a routine stoppage.
How dare they! Don't they know that they should stay home, perferably in the basement so that able bodied humans will not be bothered by them? I wouldn't worry about panic because there is a good chance that they will be Air Conditioned. Par Broiling will not be a problem.

Lift Blog

Why doesn't mashing the EMEGENCY call button elect a response?
My guess is in order for the call box to work, the cabin has to be powered on. This is indicated by the green light by the door. When I was there opening weekend, some cabins were not working and had red lights. Some cast members would notice the red lights and direct people to other cabins but other times I rode in powered off ones. This would explain why the person who wrote that post also did not hear the automated announcements.

Goofyernmost

My guess is in order for the call box to work, the cabin has to be powered on. This is indicated by the green light by the door. When I was there opening weekend, some cabins were not working and had red lights. Some cast members would notice the red lights and direct people to other cabins but other times I rode in powered off ones. This would explain why the person who wrote that post also did not hear the automated announcements.
That sound to me like the most serious problem that has been brought up! That needs to be fixed and not tomorrow.... TODAY! So far this is the only real legitimate reason to complain to date. The rest of the complaints and fears have been from the meek and the misinformed.

Last edited:

Phil12

Why doesn't mashing the EMEGENCY call button elect a response?
You will only get a response if the proper emergency crew members are working. They only have a small group of people that are trained and able to calm the worried guests and give them the needed instructions for opening the emergency kits:

Creathir

Report of a 45 minutes stoppage on 11/9....

While this person obviously is prone to exaggerating while describing their experience, there is a valid point brought up.

Disney needs to figure out the PA system in these things and quite quickly.

People panic when they are in the dark of what is going on, particularly if they are in effect stranded. It’s why a CM talks when an estop occurs (also to prevent people from climbing out of the ride vehicles) or why the Monorail Captain lets the passengers know what is going on.

It just improves the situation and guests’ ability to feel like something is being done about it.

There is simply no excuse for an emergency call box to not work. Granted every single cabin likely pressed it, but someone should be able to quickly reply and let folks know things will be underway shortly.

A simple PA message would resolve this issue completely.

Belle89

While this person obviously is prone to exaggerating while describing their experience, there is a valid point brought up.

People panic when they are in the dark of what is going on, particularly if they are in effect stranded. It’s why a CM talks when an estop occurs (also to prevent people from climbing out of the ride vehicles) or why the Monorail Captain lets the passengers know what is going on.

It just improves the situation and guests’ ability to feel like something is being done about it.

There is simply no excuse for an emergency call box to not work. Granted every single cabin likely pressed it, but someone should be able to quickly reply and let folks know things will be underway shortly.

I have a coworker who was also on the skyliner during this outage. he said the wind was really bad so they were swinging a lot, but he timed it at about 25 minutes of no movement before slowly moving to the station. during that time someone hit the emergency call button in a different gondola and he immediately heard them come over the PA system and ask what the emergency was. it definitely didn't sound like a fun ride, but not to the same extent in the original post!

Disney Analyst

They should just put up a sign threatening a fine for misuse of the comm button, much like we have on our skytrain system. Emergencies only. Would be so annoying trying to evacuate or get the system running and people are calling in for idiotic reasons.

joelkfla

There appear to be loudspeakers on the towers. If the ability to send messages to the in-cabin speakers is constrained by the state of the batteries, they should use the loudspeakers as well during extended stoppages.

matt9112

Is the battery size disney opted for with this system too small?

Victor Kelly

With the issues they are having, I may stick to a car as usual on the next trip. Disney needs to get this stuff under control now, not tomorrow or three weeks from now. Can we get a manager with a pair to get this ironed out please.

beertiki

I read the "stuck for :45" post. A person who has height issues and prone to panic riding the gondola is asking for trouble. I would also go as far as they are putting other lives in danger as they are more likely to require the use of emergency services in a non emergency situation. Hitting the emergency button after a 5 minute stop is unacceptable. This is like going into the ocean when you can barely swim in a pool, and you know it. Then you put others at risk when you need to be saved. People who put themselves into this type of situation should not have pages of comments with sympathy and apologizes. You know you have issues, there were buses, Minnie vans, taxis, and cars to use instead of the skyline. I have been in more than a few very scary situations on and under the water, some were caused by people who do not follow the rules, read the signs, know they panic easily and still got in the water anyway. Then back on the boat, I have to explain, without using the word "stupid", just how stupid what they did was.

Getting on the gondola, when you know you have an issue, is stupid. It is not a mistake or a risk, the issue is known. If you have a mild seafood allergy, but still order the fish and get sick, you were stupid.

drizgirl

I read the "stuck for :45" post. A person who has height issues and prone to panic riding the gondola is asking for trouble. I would also go as far as they are putting other lives in danger as they are more likely to require the use of emergency services in a non emergency situation. Hitting the emergency button after a 5 minute stop is unacceptable. This is like going into the ocean when you can barely swim in a pool, and you know it. Then you put others at risk when you need to be saved. People who put themselves into this type of situation should not have pages of comments with sympathy and apologizes. You know you have issues, there were buses, Minnie vans, taxis, and cars to use instead of the skyline. I have been in more than a few very scary situations on and under the water, some were caused by people who do not follow the rules, read the signs, know they panic easily and still got in the water anyway. Then back on the boat, I have to explain, without using the word "stupid", just how stupid what they did was.

Getting on the gondola, when you know you have an issue, is stupid. It is not a mistake or a risk, the issue is known. If you have a mild seafood allergy, but still order the fish and get sick, you were stupid.
Call them stupid all you want. But they're out there and it was on Disney to design a system that wouldn't stop in its tracks when one of them played the emergency card. Relying on people to be sensible and self police is always a questionable move when you're dealing with the public at large.

ImperfectPixie

The behavior you mentioned can cost you your life in certain situations, too. Someone disregarded the "no inflatables" rule at a local pond in our town, drank a few beers, fell asleep on an inflatable raft, drifted out over his head, and rolled off. He was unable to swim and unfortunately lost his life.

drizgirl

The behavior you mentioned can cost you your life in certain situations, too. Someone disregarded the "no inflatables" rule at a local pond in our town, drank a few beers, fell asleep on an inflatable raft, drifted out over his head, and rolled off. He was unable to swim and unfortunately lost his life.
At least in that situation his stupid choice only affected himself.

begood524

With the issues they are having, I may stick to a car as usual on the next trip. Disney needs to get this stuff under control now, not tomorrow or three weeks from now. Can we get a manager with a pair to get this ironed out please.
I totally agree. I paid the extra money to stay at Pop Century over the All-Stars just to be able to use this, and based on all of these random line closures and long stoppages, along with the reduced operating hours (it's useless for EMH), it may not be worth paying the extra money for in the future.

Incomudro

Call them stupid all you want. But they're out there and it was on Disney to design a system that wouldn't stop in its tracks when one of them played the emergency card. Relying on people to be sensible and self police is always a questionable move when you're dealing with the public at large.

Exactly.
They are out there, and they are going to be riding the Skyliner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom