News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

flynnibus

Premium Member
Clearly this comment adds nothing to the discussion.

And the 10,002rd time someone brings up concerns about being trapped outside without AC does?

The problem here is not the Gondola.. but the fact someone will be outside w/o AC. That's a problem everywhere someone doesn't have power. It's time to get over it and realize people do this HOURS on end every freaking day.

The Gondola is shaded (UV and reflective glass) and it also ventilated. So it's going to be like being stuck outside in the shade without a breeze or AC. Certainly not a standard to be worried about worth bringing up 10,000 times.

If you don't want to risk being stuck outside without climate controls - DON'T LEAVE THE HOUSE. It's the only way to satisfy this irrational fear that you might be unable to find AC in a breakdown situation.

I mean... imagine all these people that get stuck on rollercoasters during breakdowns... No AC... No Shade... how could they let this happen??? Clearly something must be done! /s

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It also hasn't been really hot yet with really high humidity.
98 degrees with 98 percent humidity and eight in a gondola is likely to change that.
As well as if travel stops for 15 seconds, or two minutes under those conditions.

In such a situation, the guests would not have survived the outdoor walk, in the sun, to the station and then preceding to stand in a line with no breeze.

The dead won't be in the gondolas, but in every walkway, path, bus station, monorail station, quick serve cart, and outdoor queue throughout all of WDW.

This is precisely why there are over four thousand fatal casualties from the midday parade when it is 98 degrees out.

Incomudro

And the 10,002rd time someone brings up concerns about being trapped outside without AC does?

The problem here is not the Gondola.. but the fact someone will be outside w/o AC. That's a problem everywhere someone doesn't have power. It's time to get over it and realize people do this HOURS on end every freaking day.

The Gondola is shaded (UV and reflective glass) and it also ventilated. So it's going to be like being stuck outside in the shade without a breeze or AC. Certainly not a standard to be worried about worth bringing up 10,000 times.

If you don't want to risk being stuck outside without climate controls - DON'T LEAVE THE HOUSE. It's the only way to satisfy this irrational fear that you might be unable to find AC in a breakdown situation.

I mean... imagine all these people that get stuck on rollercoasters during breakdowns... No AC... No Shade... how could they let this happen??? Clearly something must be done! /s

I'm not the one who brought up the topic.
I also did not mention A/C - you did.
I am responding to the topic of comfort just like everyone else here thank you.
But you - and a couple of others here - decide who can speak about comfort, and what can be said.
Apparently it's ok to say that temps didn't go up when the cabins stopped briefly in relatively nice weather - but not ok to suggest that things will be different in other weather conditions.
I have also repeatedly said that I love the idea of the Skyliner system and look forward to riding it myself.
That does not mean that I do not have some concerns regarding some other aspects of them.

HiJe

In such a situation, the guests would not have survived the outdoor walk, in the sun, to the station and then preceding to stand in a line with no breeze.

The dead won't be in the gondolas, but in every walkway, path, bus station, monorail station, quick serve cart, and outdoor queue throughout all of WDW.

This is precisely why there are over four thousand fatal casualties from the midday parade when it is 98 degrees out.

New Skyliner theory, instead of everyone dying from various causes INSIDE of the Gondolas, everyone OUTSIDE of the Gondolas will die and a ride in the hotbox is the only thing that can save them. It's a Twilight Zone Gondola. Skyliner IP addition confirmed!!!

Figment82

We politely asked for an unwrapped gondola at each station, and they just had us wait to the side until one came around. I’m hoping if enough people request them, they’ll remove some of the decals. They’re a cute idea, but ruin the view. When it was first announced, they made it seem like the wrapped ones would be special and limited in number, but it looks like the synergy fairy went crazy!

A few times the narration did not work in our gondola - we didn’t even notice its absence the first time until it was back the following trip. I prefer the quiet personally, but I was with my family and we wanted to discuss the view and experience, not talk over facts we already knew. I agree that some light music, like on the resort TV station, would be much nicer. The emergency announcements (your gondola has stopped/resumed motion) did work even when the narration did not.

I absolutely loved the experience! Like most of you, I’ve been looking forward to this project since it was announced and I was not disappointed. Brought back great memories of the Skyway. 🙂

flynnibus

Premium Member
But you - and a couple of others here - decide who can speak about comfort, and what can be said.

I brought up AC because it's at the root of your 'concern'. Just like I broke it down to basically being outside without climate controls. Because that's what it is. And why @MisterPenguin sarcastically drew the comparison to those dying on the sidewalks. Because that's what this is all about... being outside without climate controls.

If you don't think people can manage that level of 'comfort' then Florida is not right for them 3 seasons a year.

The 'comfort' will change when the cabins stop moving, but its still not worse than if they were outside the cabin.. in fact the cabin gives them shade. So again... if someone seeks that comfort.. their recourse is.. don't leave the climate controlled areas.

Or put another way... suck it up buttercup. Florida is hot - the Gondolas don't change that.

Incomudro

I brought up AC because it's at the root of your 'concern'. Just like I broke it down to basically being outside without climate controls. Because that's what it is. And why @MisterPenguin sarcastically drew the comparison to those dying on the sidewalks. Because that's what this is all about... being outside without climate controls.

If you don't think people can manage that level of 'comfort' then Florida is not right for them 3 seasons a year.

The 'comfort' will change when the cabins stop moving, but its still not worse than if they were outside the cabin.. in fact the cabin gives them shade. So again... if someone seeks that comfort.. their recourse is.. don't leave the climate controlled areas.

Or put another way... suck it up buttercup. Florida is hot - the Gondolas don't change that.

You two are willing to say that a sampling of a small group of people riding this form of transportation on relatively pleasant days - reporting that the temperature was pleasant enough inside is a large enough sampling to say that the case is closed.
Any discussion to suggest otherwise must be shut down.
I'm sorry but a closed and stopped gondola car filled to capacity on a very hot and humid is worse than simply being outside for those passengers.
People on the ground can move to another location.
Telling those people who may be elderly, or have other health conditions to "suck it up buttercup" is dismissive.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You two are willing to say that a sampling of a small group of people riding this form of transportation on relatively pleasant days - reporting that the temperature was pleasant enough inside is a large enough sampling to say that the case is closed.

No, I'm saying the system that was designed to work a certain way (even tho many here refused to accept it) and has numerous technical points to point at why it should work, now has sample data showing it working (and even more so than said skeptics thought it would). Yet.. some continue to beat this horse...

I've known what the experience would be for a long time... anyone RIDING THEIR BIKE would know what the experience would be.. yet some continue to doubt it. Here you have people having their mind blown because... OMG.. SCIENCE!! IT WORKS..

Srly? That's the cross you want to die on after over a 1000 pages in this thread? Ok.. we'll bury you with the horse if you insist.

I'm sorry but a closed and stopped gondola car filled to capacity on a very hot and humid is worse than simply being outside for those passengers.

You ignore they are shaded. You ignore they are up away from the heat soaking pavement. You ignore they are raised up where the air moves more freely.

Will it suck compared to moving? Yes. But what on earth are you suggesting the reality should be? The system is stopped. You are trapped outside in Florida. If you can't survive being outside in Florida... the gondolas aren't going to save or doom you.

Disone

Telling those people who may be elderly, or have other health conditions to "suck it up buttercup" is dismissive.
It is dismissive isn't it? Might be because you were being dismissed. You've really drum this drum hard and I think you need to stop now. Strong enough I think it may be time for a mod to ask you to stop. We get it you think it's going to be hot and uncomfortable. We totally get it. Please stop.

Surfin' Tuna

I have to say the narration was the worst part of it. I noticed in some of the cabins it is not as loud as others. It detracts from the relaxing flight over the world, so I look forward to when it breaks. The wraps are the second worst thing. You don't realize how bad they are until you are in a cabin without a wrap, and then it's truly wonderful.

nickys

Premium Member
Apparently it's ok to say that temps didn't go up when the cabins stopped briefly in relatively nice weather - but not ok to suggest that things will be different in other weather conditions.
I have also repeatedly said that I love the idea of the Skyliner system and look forward to riding it myself.
That does not mean that I do not have some concerns regarding some other aspects of them.

With regard to the bolded part, there was so much talk about the lack of A/C at one point that @The Mom requested that the subject be dropped. Several times. And for good reason.

HiJe

I have to say the narration was the worst part of it. I noticed in some of the cabins it is not as loud as others. It detracts from the relaxing flight over the world, so I look forward to when it breaks. The wraps are the second worst thing. You don't realize how bad they are until you are in a cabin without a wrap, and then it's truly wonderful.

Is it possible that the wraps could eventually become weathered and fade over time allowing for a better view? Or are they pretty hefty and will stay how they are for ever?

joelkfla

So why not get off the bus early and get onto the Skyliner quicker?
I think most Guests will just do whatever Disney says. If there's a stop named Skyliner, that's where they'll get off for the Skyliner. The typical Guest won't know that they might save a few minutes getting off at Aruba for Epcot, but lose time if they're going to DHS. Disney usually tries to keep things simple to avoid confusing Guests (although some rogue bus drivers might make the suggestion.)

Just as most non-locals (not using a GPS) coming down I-4 to the MK will follow the signs and get off at 192, even though a little research will clearly show that Epcot Blvd. is a better route.

Surfin' Tuna

Is it possible that the wraps could eventually become weathered and fade over time allowing for a better view? Or are they pretty hefty and will stay how they are for ever?
This is a great question, since these type of wraps have probably never seen the type of life expectancy WDE will try to get out of them. My guess is, though, they will only get worse and not better with time. If there weren't unwrapped cabins in the mix people wouldn't know what they were missing. Plus, there are some IPs still not represented. As soon as Chapek figures that out, I'm sure the rest will be wrapped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom