News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Bartattack

It's probably already answered somewhere in this thread... but I couldn't find it.
As the gondola's arriving at Riviera resort (coming from Carribean Beach) are probably a lot of times already filled with guests going to Epcot, how are they going to handle the Riviera guests (on busy moments)? Are they going to send off empty gondola's from CBR?

flynnibus

Premium Member
If they're not boarding, there's really no reason to keep them running. Might as well stop the cable and save a bit of electric.

Process... if you keep things running, you don’t have to go through your checklists, safety steps, etc. i would imagine Disney has lots of process defined for what must happen before they can officially stop a line for more than a temporary hold... to declare a line clear... to startup.. etc.

Much easier and streamlined to just keep it running and control boarding or force people out when you see them.

Disone

Lines tonight at IG station for CM previews(not normal crowds) after Illuminations. Not going to comment but you judge for yourself.View attachment 413773
No need to judge. I got in that line after illuminations. It was just shy of 10 minutes long. I believe everyone was on the same page here that there would be a line at Park exit. This is within expectations. I'm not sure what we are judging here. Have you seen the monorail station line and the bus lines?

ABQ

It's probably already answered somewhere in this thread... but I couldn't find it.
As the gondola's arriving at Riviera resort (coming from Carribean Beach) are probably a lot of times already filled with guests going to Epcot, how are they going to handle the Riviera guests (on busy moments)? Are they going to send off empty gondola's from CBR?
Going to have to wait till Riviera opens, but I would hope they could get a grasp on the volume needed and, as you said, possibly send empty gondolas to deal with it.

Ripken10

Going to have to wait till Riviera opens, but I would hope they could get a grasp on the volume needed and, as you said, possibly send empty gondolas to deal with it.
I still say this won't be much of a problem at all. During the day it won't be a problem at all. The only questionable times would be at open and close. At close, there would likely be very little demand for the gondola leaving from the Riviera. So that leaves at Open. And I still don't see an issue here. First, there will be all the empty gondolas between the stations heading in each direction for those that arrive at open. The rush at open will not be as large as at close, and the system is so efficient I really don't think (seeing it work in other areas of the world) there would not be open gondolas available without sending them off empty on purpose. For instance, for the CBR to Riviera line, how many are arriving per minute at open to head in that direction...how many are arriving at the Riviera station per minute at open heading in the same direction? You would be surprised that neither of these numbers are really that large, and the system couldn't handle it without sending empty cars.

Now they will have a couple months of real world testing to see how it works before they have to make any real decisions. So that will surely help Disney who isn't used to this system (yet)

nickys

Premium Member
A lot of info folks already know, but there are some great pictures (as usual). I especially like the shot of the pool at CBR. Nice plug for WDWMagic too!

One glaring error, or misconception in Josh’s article:

“Caribbean Beach Resort guests can apparently board using the Riviera station beginning September 29th, which may mean that all guests will need to disembark at that time and then board a third gondola to Epcot”

Not sure why he would think that.

The Riviera station is going to open on the 29th, so we don’t have to wait until December to find out. I think they will send empty cabins. Otherwise anyone with a stroller, wheelchair or ECV is going to struggle to load into an already partially filled cabin.

Much easier to send every fourth cabin empty - maybe using those lights to show the CMs at CBR which ones are to be left empty.

joelkfla

The Riviera station is going to open on the 29th, so we don’t have to wait until December to find out.
Unless they open up the walkway between Martinique & Aruba, there will be a very small number of Guests boarding at Riviera this fall. Until the resort opens, Disney may elect not to send empty cabins unless Riviera station calls and says there are Guests waiting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, the handouts reveal a few things...

1. YES. ANYONE CAN RIDE IT FOR FREE. IN FACT, IT'S ENCOURAGED. Of course, it may not be free to park at DHS, but if you want to joy ride without going into a park, WDW is directing you to go the the DHS parking lot for your joy ride. And, you can use that joy ride to access Crescent Lake resorts, like the BoardWalk.

Those who've been saying to the contrary... your apologies are accepted.

2. People staying at CBR can use the Riviera station, in fact, they can start using it on Sept 29, way before the Riviera opens.

joelkfla

So, the handouts reveal a few things...

1. YES. ANYONE CAN RIDE IT FOR FREE. IN FACT, IT'S ENCOURAGED. Of course, it may not be free to park at DHS, but if you want to joy ride without going into a park, WDW is directing you to go the the DHS parking lot for your joy ride. And, you can use that joy ride to access Crescent Lake resorts, like the BoardWalk.

Those who've been saying to the contrary... your apologies are accepted.

2. People staying at CBR can use the Riviera station, in fact, they can start using it on Sept 29, way before the Riviera opens.

View attachment 413983
Didn't notice the part about Day Guests riding -- good catch!

rowrbazzle

One glaring error, or misconception in Josh’s article:

“Caribbean Beach Resort guests can apparently board using the Riviera station beginning September 29th, which may mean that all guests will need to disembark at that time and then board a third gondola to Epcot”

Not sure why he would think that.

Yeah, I noticed that. His deal isn't really about inside info, but park touring and day-to-day perspective. Mostly I just liked the pictures in the post.

Rambozo

Also some Disney music would have probably been better than the occasional narrations. You could turn it into a guessing game for youngsters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom