News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

nickys

Premium Member
I haven't seen any video that shows the entire extended loop packed with gondolas. But even if it's full, maybe that's what the red/green lights are for. Red means "Don't Load."

That’s what I assume.

They’re going to have to be some way to send empty cabins from CBR to Riviera, otherwise people waiting at Riviera will never get on at busy times. The same system can surely be used if there’s a “protein spill” on the floor of a cabin.

So a controller somewhere will need to indicate to the CMs loading passengers to leave certain ones free.

joelkfla

Which path? The one nearest the BC, as in far left. There are three paths going off the main one before the station as you approach the IG security.

Presumably one is entrance to the station, one is the exit from the station. The big one looks to be the access road servicing the U.K. pavilion and/or World Showplace (aka the big tent).

And then there’s one that goes off to the building, which could be for Guest Services.

Maybe?
Yeah, we've seen the sign on the archway that says the curvy middle path is the entrance for both regular and handicapped loading; it goes into the rear building where a queue presumably wraps around to the load platform on the right. The path on the right is clearly the exit, as it abuts the unload platform on the left of the station.

The one on the left does look like a service road, except that it comes off the walking path and there is nothing visible to make it inaccessible or hidden from Guests. The area behind the station is easily accessible for service from the IG service area, which is adjacent to the rear building on the right.

It could be a way for marathon runners to get to backstage, as they did in that area before the old route was blocked by the station. But it seems like overkill for something that might be used a half dozen times a year.

nickys

Premium Member
Yeah, we've seen the sign on the archway that says the curvy middle path is the entrance for both regular and handicapped loading; it goes into the rear building where a queue presumably wraps around to the load platform on the right. The path on the right is clearly the exit, as it abuts the unload platform on the left of the station.

The one on the left does look like a service road, except that it comes off the walking path and there is nothing visible to make it inaccessible or hidden from Guests. The area behind the station is easily accessible for service from the IG service area, which is adjacent to the rear building on the right.

It could be a way for marathon runners to get to backstage, as they did in that area before the old route was blocked by the station. But it seems like overkill for something that might be used a half dozen times a year.

Good point about an access road coming off a path! :inlove:

But it could easily be blocked using the moveable planters, like it is now, or something more permanent.

begood524

On Facebook, Rob from Passport to the Parks has said that he believes photography IS allowed during his Skyliner preview tomorrow (and says it will be confirmed then), so let's hope that we finally get our full POVs of the system!!

cindy_k

On Facebook, Rob from Passport to the Parks has said that he believes photography IS allowed during his Skyliner preview tomorrow (and says it will be confirmed then), so let's hope that we finally get our full POVs of the system!!
I am going on Wednesday and here is the official word on Photos for this last round of Cast member testing with guests.
Photos: The preview event will include a few special photo opportunities, so don’t forget to bring your mobile devices or camera. Visit the Park Rules online for information on prohibited photography-related items and other policies.

I can't wait.

Rob562

I have never seen CMs pickup up litter in buses and monorail cars at each stop.

I've often seen the CM at unload on the Peoplemover walking the platform with the grabber stick, picking up any trash that happens to be in the cars as they crawl by. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same with the Skyliner, and then taking a cabin out of service (in whatever logistical way they decide on) when there's actual spills that need to be dealt with.

-Rob

Lensman

It's unlikely, but maybe there's a secret plan to run buses back there when the system is down? Is the back road navigable by buses? It actually doesn't seem like it's easy to get anywhere but the main parking lot from there, but maybe there's a plan to bus people out to the front entrance bus loop when the Skyliner is down?

Magic Feather

It's unlikely, but maybe there's a secret plan to run buses back there when the system is down? Is the back road navigable by buses? It actually doesn't seem like it's easy to get anywhere but the main parking lot from there, but maybe there's a plan to bus people out to the front entrance bus loop when the Skyliner is down?
*Purely speculation on my part*, but you may be onto something. Back up bus service not being immediately at IG was a concern that I have heard once or twice, maybe this is the solution. While it would pass by quite a bit of backstage World Showcase, there could be a relatively direct bus route (red) from Gateway to Victory Lane (where access can be gained to CBBR, Pop, and AoA). Plus, maybe (seriously just guessing) that canal work @Rteetz made a thread about is to provide a new way for buses to get out of backstage quicker (yellow).
3D998C92-9E84-4B99-B047-51908BCD53F9.jpeg

Creathir

*Purely speculation on my part*, but you may be onto something. Back up bus service not being immediately at IG was a concern that I have heard once or twice, maybe this is the solution. While it would pass by quite a bit of backstage World Showcase, there could be a relatively direct bus route (red) from Gateway to Victory Lane (where access can be gained to CBBR, Pop, and AoA). Plus, maybe (seriously just guessing) that canal work @Rteetz made a thread about is to provide a new way for buses to get out of backstage quicker (yellow).View attachment 412985
I completely agree with this. Given they will be down for 1-2 hours a day during the rainy season, having a way to pick folks up easily will definitely come in handy.

Last edited:

gorillaball

I completely agree with this. Given they will be down for 1-2 hours a day during the rainy season, having a way to pick folks up easily will definitely come in handy.

1-2 hours per day, wager on that? I would bet in the first year you will not find more than 1 week where it averages being down even an hour.

Creathir

1-2 hours per day, wager on that? I would bet in the first year you will not find more than 1 week where it averages being down even an hour.
Given they will shut them down when lightning is within a certain range, and central FL IS the lightning capital of the world, I think it’ll be a little more frequent than you realize.

joelkfla

Yep, I actually floated that idea a couple of months ago. The cast shuttle that circles Epcot has a stop right next to the station. There was a fence and gate; it's hard to tell, but it looks like they may have been moved.

There's also a gate in the corner of the Epcot bus lot. That gate used to lead to a dead-end storage area. Aerials taken a couple of months ago show that Disney moved the storage containers, and built a small bridge to connect the gate with the backstage service road. (That's what prompted my original posts back then.) Theoretically, they could shuttle Guests from backstage near the station to the Epcot bus lot. It would be a fairly short trip, and although it's backstage, I don't recall anything particularly nasty-looking on that stretch.

Creathir

Yep, I actually floated that idea a couple of months ago. The cast shuttle that circles Epcot has a stop right next to the station. There was a fence and gate; it's hard to tell, but it looks like they may have been moved.

There's also a gate in the corner of the Epcot bus lot. That gate used to lead to a dead-end storage area. Aerials taken a couple of months ago show that Disney moved the storage containers, and built a small bridge to connect the gate with the backstage service road. (That's what prompted my original posts back then.) Theoretically, they could shuttle Guests from backstage near the station to the Epcot bus lot. It would be a fairly short trip, and although it's backstage, I don't recall anything particularly nasty-looking on that stretch.
Well, if a fish was not properly disposed off after it’s passing at the Seas, that could be particularly nasty...

Disone

Given they will shut them down when lightning is within a certain range, and central FL IS the lightning capital of the world, I think it’ll be a little more frequent than you realize.
Despite being repeated here several times, turns out FL is not the lighting capital of the world. It is of the USA through. I think they will run the back up busses to the front of the park due to the infatructure needed to accomdate busses. Yes that could prove to be problem matic if down times are frequent enough. I am sure they will monitor this and adjust as needed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
*Purely speculation on my part*, but you may be onto something. Back up bus service not being immediately at IG was a concern that I have heard once or twice, maybe this is the solution. While it would pass by quite a bit of backstage World Showcase, there could be a relatively direct bus route (red) from Gateway to Victory Lane (where access can be gained to CBBR, Pop, and AoA). Plus, maybe (seriously just guessing) that canal work @Rteetz made a thread about is to provide a new way for buses to get out of backstage quicker (yellow).View attachment 412985

That canal work is just for a storm water control dam.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom