News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GCTales

One more thing - Passport to the Parks now has video/audio of on-board announcements being made as the cabins begin to traverse Hourglass Lake! It's so exciting to see everything coming together!!! Audio can be heard at about 1:56

He also does a good job showing how the outer loop for ECVs will work with gondolas coming off the main line and then reentering the line when loaded (4:30 through 5:24).

pdude81

If you have a fear of riding the monorail and stay at the Contemporary, Grand Flo or Poly there is no other option for you to get to Epcot. Take two monorails or sort your own transport out are the only options. Yes the Skyliner cabins feel higher off the ground compared to the monorail but there is a precedent for not offering more than one type of transit.
Monorail trains have been a very visible and marketed aspect of WDW since it's inception. The casual person just wanting to visit a theme park and wanting their kids to stay at AoA wouldn't expect that they have to take a mostly unknown (in this country) form of transport where (unlike the monorails) it's very easy to look out over the scenery and see how high up you are. People don't worry about getting killed in a car crash even though driving is more statistically dangerous because of the familiarity and need in their lives. And other than someone having a deathly fear of trains themselves, this is more about the unknown freaking out people until they get to see that it's efficient and safe.

Plus, technically, there are other ways to get to Epcot from Contemporary if you wanted to. The simplest would be to take the boat from Contemporary to WL and the bus from there. Definitely more of a pain but each of those resorts have boat options.

There is definitely precedent for not having alternate transportation when it's clear just about nobody would use it... but let's give them a few months to prove the system will run without issues before making people uncomfortable on their expensive vacation.

GCTales

As seen on the video, there appears to be three phases or stages for the outer loop.

Stage 1: "Unloading / Pre-loading"- gondola exits main line and enters waiting area just after switch point. Gondola waits here until moved to loading stage. It appears that a gondola will enter this area when another is ready to be dispatched, to ensure spacing is available for the one entering the line. This is also likely where unloading will occur. (Thank you @joelkfla)

Stage 2: "Loading" - gondola moves from pre-load to loading and waits here for passengers to load. Once loaded and ready (and dispatch is empty), gondola is moved to dispatch. As soon as gondola departs this stage, the gondola in pre-load move here and takes position, leaving pre-load empty for next gondola to come in.

Stage 3: "Dispatch"- once loaded and ready, gondola moves from loading to dispatch, where it waits for the empty slot created by the gondola entering the pre-load stage.

Seems pretty straight forward and easy.

Edit: added unloading in stage area 1

Last edited:

joelkfla

As seen on the video, there appears to be three phases or stages for the outer loop.

Stage 1: "Pre-loading"- gondola exits main line and enters waiting area just after switch point. Gondola waits here until moved to loading stage. It appears that a gondola will enter this area when another is ready to be dispatched, to ensure spacing is available for the one entering the line.

Stage 2: "Loading" - gondola moves from pre-load to loading and waits here for passengers to load. Once loaded and ready (and dispatch is empty), gondola is moved to dispatch. As soon as gondola departs this stage, the gondola in pre-load move here and takes position, leaving pre-load empty for next gondola to come in.

Stage 3: "Dispatch"- once loaded and ready, gondola moves from loading to dispatch, where it waits for the empty slot created by the gondola entering the pre-load stage.

Seems pretty straight forward and easy.
As I've stated in previous posts, the first position is likely unload. Cabins are in that position for as long as a cabin is in the load position. There's no need to keep Guests trapped in their cabin until a loaded cabin is ready for dispatch.

Heppenheimer

Monorail trains have been a very visible and marketed aspect of WDW since it's inception. The casual person just wanting to visit a theme park and wanting their kids to stay at AoA wouldn't expect that they have to take a mostly unknown (in this country) form of transport where (unlike the monorails) it's very easy to look out over the scenery and see how high up you are. People don't worry about getting killed in a car crash even though driving is more statistically dangerous because of the familiarity and need in their lives. And other than someone having a deathly fear of trains themselves, this is more about the unknown freaking out people until they get to see that it's efficient and safe.

Plus, technically, there are other ways to get to Epcot from Contemporary if you wanted to. The simplest would be to take the boat from Contemporary to WL and the bus from there. Definitely more of a pain but each of those resorts have boat options.

There is definitely precedent for not having alternate transportation when it's clear just about nobody would use it... but let's give them a few months to prove the system will run without issues before making people uncomfortable on their expensive vacation.
This system is nothing new, it has been used in ski resorts both in and outside of the US for over a 100 years with an extremely low accident rate. Similar systems have been staple rides in amusement parks for a long time. Heck, even the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland formerly had Skyway attractions.

Seriously, how much should Disney cater to people's irrational anxiety?

pdude81

This system is nothing new, it has been used in ski resorts both in and outside of the US for over a 100 years with an extremely low accident rate. Similar systems have been staple rides in amusement parks for a long time. Heck, even the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland formerly had Skyway attractions.

My point is that when you go to Disney world, train transportation is expected by just about everyone. Gondolas are certainly a known quantity when it comes to ski resorts, but for regular transportation in this country it's not known and certainly not expected for casual fans of Disney. What I said was that they should keep some level of busing early on until they prove their installation and the climate works well for most people. Those who have a real fear of heights know that skiing likely requires a lift up a mountain where they have to find a way down so that's a bit different.

Why should Disney cater to the irrational anxiety of guests? Perhaps they want them to come back in the future and spend more money there. Also I think for consistency of signage and operations it helps to maintain an infrequent bus route from each stop

They already will be closing it and ramping up buses every time lightning is in the area, so a regular bus stop and signage is needed. The monorails only shut down in a massive lightning storm, which I actually got to experience very recently on a trip. When there is no other regular option all hell breaks loose and even the security personnel seem confused as to what people should do. They told us we should grab a non-existent bus to MK from PVB and walk back to the contemporary during a violent storm. So keeping a bus running every hour or so while ramping up service during closures still reduces the number of buses but cuts down on the number of sketchy situations they put passengers in during bad weather. Also it allows those whose rooms are much closer to the bus stop the chance to see in the app whether that's the better play, and the few who are truly fearful a way back that doesn't cost extra money.

Incomudro

Skiers are as a whole - more adventurous, and more athletic than the average WDW guest.
The gondola ride up is less risky than skiing down the mountain after they exit.

Outside the US is outside the US.
Your average waddling WDW guest who has never left the continental US - let alone skied - is not familiar with this mode of travel.

Skyway attractions - while a form of transportation - or also rides.
People elect to ride them or not.

I'm looking forward to riding the gondola's myself - I'm simply pointing out the differences.

PurpleJesus

If 10 skiers, and all of their equipment.....walking in miserable ski boots....can load on a gondola in less than 10 seconds, then I have faith that humans will be able to overcome the quandry of loading themselves on a gondola in normal clothes and shoes and nice temps at Disney World. If walking into a gondola cabin and sitting on a bench is too difficult for someone there are more issues at play. If a fear of heights is the issue then anything other than a bus or a car isn't going to help transport that person.

I can't wait for this thing to finally open so people that haven't ever ridden on a gondola before can get their chance to try it and realize how much it isn't a big deal. They're quiet and peaceful. That's the experience. It's easy getting on and off. There's just nothing else to it.

Monorail_Orange

If 10 skiers, and all of their equipment.....walking in miserable ski boots....can load on a gondola in less than 10 seconds, then I have faith that humans will be able to overcome the quandry of loading themselves on a gondola in normal clothes and shoes and nice temps at Disney World. If walking into a gondola cabin and sitting on a bench is too difficult for someone there are more issues at play. If a fear of heights is the issue then anything other than a bus or a car isn't going to help transport that person.

I can't wait for this thing to finally open so people that haven't ever ridden on a gondola before can get their chance to try it and realize how much it isn't a big deal. They're quiet and peaceful. That's the experience. It's easy getting on and off. There's just nothing else to it.
You left out the part where the riders all melt like the Nazis that just opened the Ark of the Covenant and the alligators suck up the resulting puddles with straws. :rolleyes:

Heppenheimer

Skiers are as a whole - more adventurous, and more athletic than the average WDW guest.
The gondola ride up is less risky than skiing down the mountain after they exit.

Outside the US is outside the US.
Your average waddling WDW guest who has never left the continental US - let alone skied - is not familiar with this mode of travel.

Skyway attractions - while a form of transportation - or also rides.
People elect to ride them or not.

I'm looking forward to riding the gondola's myself - I'm simply pointing out the differences.
If a Disney guest can successfully negotiate the entrance and exit of the Doombuggies, the Peter Pan ride vehicles, the People Mover, Spaceship Earth and Kali River Rapids while the ride is moving, all of which involve squeezing through an opening and into spaces much more narrow than a gondola, then stepping into and out of a gondola will pose no problems whatsoever. Those rides even load at a significantly faster speed than ski gondolas as they shift through the loading station.

And as I noted, gondolas are common at US mountain resorts, although more common in Europe, perhaps. Many of them also run in the summer so that non-skiers can enjoy a mountain excursion.

I have to say, I really don't understand all this apprehension for a transportation system that is so simple and so widely used.

Last edited:

mmssbrg2

ppet

Remember when the Skyliner was a ride within the park? Granted not everyone rode it, but I loved being on the ride and looking out over the park. I rode the equivalent in many other parks over the years. I have paid to ride the lifts at Gatlinburg and now I get to ride for free from Disney. I don't get all the complaining. If you don't like it stay in a different resort or use other transportation.

tomast

Remember when the Skyliner was a ride within the park? Granted not everyone rode it, but I loved being on the ride and looking out over the park. I rode the equivalent in many other parks over the years. I have paid to ride the lifts at Gatlinburg and now I get to ride for free from Disney. I don't get all the complaining. If you don't like it stay in a different resort or use other transportation.
And lets agree they seem to feel more insecure. As they where open and smaller

1df132_2ea7d246248e427a821043494a599875.jpg

1997-skyway_01a.png

Incomudro

If a Disney guest can successfully negotiate the entrance and exit of the Doombuggies, the Peter Pan ride vehicles, the People Mover, Spaceship Earth and Kali River Rapids while the ride is moving, all of which involve squeezing through an opening and into spaces much more narrow than a gondola, then stepping into and out of a gondola will pose no problems whatsoever. Those rides even load at a significantly faster speed than ski gondolas as they shift through the loading station.

And as I noted, gondolas are common at US mountain resorts, although more common in Europe, perhaps. Many of them also run in the summer so that non-skiers can enjoy a mountain excursion.

I have to say, I really don't understand all this apprehension for a transportation system that is so simple and so widely used.

Have you been behind some of these Disney guests? 🐘
They can barely negotiate anything.

In any event, I love the idea of the skyliner - and I know that it'll work very well for the vast majority of guests.

Last edited:

joelkfla

If a Disney guest can successfully negotiate the entrance and exit of the Doombuggies, the Peter Pan ride vehicles, the People Mover, Spaceship Earth and Kali River Rapids while the ride is moving, all of which involve squeezing through an opening and into spaces much more narrow than a gondola
Moving platforms, synchronized to the movement of the ride vehicle. The moving vehicle is stationary from the perspective of the Guest boarding.

(Not arguing against Skyliner, just pointing out the flaw in the analogy.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom