News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Incomudro

I know this is rare... but this just happened in my neck of the woods, a huge tourist gondola. Oh my god.

This is why I said that there are some people who feel more secure with a monorail beam beneath their train, vs being suspended from a cable.

Disney Analyst

Wow. Not good. The current speculation is : The cable snapped???

I’m sure the people who rode it last night are feeling lucky.

Yeah, something like that. They recently upped the cabin capacity by 50% which was supposed to be fine... so curious if the manufacturer is at fault?

trainplane3

My first thought was deliberate sabotage. This gondola project was environmentally controversial. A 55 mm steel rope doesn’t just break.
I feel bad for saying that was my initial thought too.

Aren't there sensors for detecting when a cable starts stretching? Less tension on the bullwheels? Like a precursor to it breaking?

Disone

I’m sure the people who rode it last night are feeling lucky.

Yeah, something like that. They recently upped the cabin capacity by 50% which was supposed to be fine... so curious if the manufacturer is at fault?
I wonder if this will create a delay in the opening of WDWs system while doppelmayr investigates the cause of this incident.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Your right which makes that other poster post even more bizarre.
Negatory, good buddy. Things like cables mysteriously parting are very bizarre in themselves. That's why it's key to point out when it happens.

And consider this: the cables in the Disney systems are much more accessible than the one in the Canadian system.

Polydweller

My first thought was deliberate sabotage. This gondola project was environmentally controversial. A 55 mm steel rope doesn’t just break.
Sounds like the RCMP are involved now, so possibly investigating a criminal aspect.
Yep, that’s what the RCMP is now saying, deliberate sabotage. It was at 4:30am, not operating and nobody on it. As said above, a cable like this doesn’t just break. It was a criminal act.

This has no impact on the opening of the the Disney gondola system.

Disney Analyst

Yep, that’s what the RCMP is now saying, deliberate sabotage. It was at 4:30am, not operating and nobody on it. As said above, a cable like this doesn’t just break. It was a criminal act.

This has no impact on the opening of the the Disney gondola system.

It’s just nuts to me... that mountain is steep. I think like 3 people have died this year scaling it. How did they get up there... up to the cable... and able to cut it? And why?! My goodness.

Polydweller

It’s just nuts to me... that mountain is steep. I think like 3 people have died this year scaling it. How did they get up there... up to the cable... and able to cut it? And why?! My goodness.
Not much info about where it was cut, just that the preliminary investigation showed it was cut. And yeah, a strange thing to do.

note2001

I'm afraid of a rubber band snapping in my hands when I pull it too taunt. Can you imagine what a cable must sound like when it's sliced? 😬

Right now the person who did this is feeling mighty proud of themselves. Won't be long before the police ID him or her (if they haven't already) as there's only so many activists out there who would be able to pull off this, and you KNOW they're going to brag online.

I'm not concerned about the safety of the Disney system. Totally different situation. Lots of cameras, security and people around.

Last edited:

Lift Blog

Tons of people climb that mountain every day (the gondola is not on the actual Stawamus Chief where people died but next to it.) The cutting could have been done anywhere along the lift line. There are even ladders on the towers for easy maintenance access.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Thermite?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom