News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

matt9112

They will be “private” in that some gondolas will be set aside just for Riviera but only on that CBR to IG route. They have to do this to ensure that gondolas arrive at Riviera with space. However, that doesn’t mean you won’t share a car with others from the resort. But the working poor staying at Pop Century won’t be sweating on you until you switch to a gondola to DHS.

Install a/c in the rich-people cars and I’ll consider $188/pt.

apparently i need a new job.

Goofyernmost

The last 10 seconds or so of the video...where the ropes look very slack, the entire rope (with cars) seems to be bouncing.
Well, that one did as it left the tower, but, that was more dropped down with the rope, then bounced to me. It did look like a lot of slack in the rope, but that might have been more camera angle then anything.

Goofyernmost

Gondolas and a Sky-ride are very low capacity, very susceptible to weather (wind and lightning) are incredibly unreliable, and do not have adequate climate control for a Florida. (No AC).
Says almost no one else. Make a quick jump into the 21st century. It's so far from low capacity it isn't even up for discussion, it is enclosed and only susceptible to severe weather just like every other form of Disney transportation (high winds only and almost zero lightening concern), they are INCREDIBLY reliable compared to all the other forms of transportation and your only in them for less then 5 minutes, even if it gets warm it won't be as warm as the outside. Or let everyone else enjoy this, new to Disney, transportation and you have no reason to ever get on one unless you want too.

trainplane3

Says almost no one else. Make a quick jump into the 21st century. It's so far from low capacity it isn't even up for discussion, it is enclosed and only susceptible to severe weather just like every other form of Disney transportation (high winds only and almost zero lightening concern), they are INCREDIBLY reliable compared to all the other forms of transportation and your only in them for less then 5 minutes, even if it gets warm it won't be as warm as the outside. Or let everyone else enjoy this, new to Disney, transportation and you have no reason to ever get on one unless you want too.
...you replied to a comment from 2017 (the very first page) that has already been covered an insane amount of times. Why bring this up again?

allgiggles

Well, that one did as it left the tower, but, that was more dropped down with the rope, then bounced to me. It did look like a lot of slack in the rope, but that might have been more camera angle then anything.

Eh...I'm not sure...could be any number of things that make it look like it's bouncing. Watching that yellow one in particular and comparing the bottom of that car to the tree line in the distance, it looks like it's bouncing quite a bit to me. But there could be so many other factors involved that I'm not going to worry about it until I'm much closer to a visit. I won't be there until next June (actually -- might be stopping in for a day or two in January but not sure we'll be at any of the Skyliner resorts on that quick visit) so I have plenty of other irrational things to worry about until then. :D I will say that I'm confident that I can work around my claustrophobia and acrophobia to be able to ride this, but the bouncing -- if noticeable -- might do me in. But I'll wait and see the first hand reports before I really worry (or find out there's nothing to be worried about).

Incomudro

Eh...I'm not sure...could be any number of things that make it look like it's bouncing. Watching that yellow one in particular and comparing the bottom of that car to the tree line in the distance, it looks like it's bouncing quite a bit to me. But there could be so many other factors involved that I'm not going to worry about it until I'm much closer to a visit. I won't be there until next June (actually -- might be stopping in for a day or two in January but not sure we'll be at any of the Skyliner resorts on that quick visit) so I have plenty of other irrational things to worry about until then. :D I will say that I'm confident that I can work around my claustrophobia and acrophobia to be able to ride this, but the bouncing -- if noticeable -- might do me in. But I'll wait and see the first hand reports before I really worry (or find out there's nothing to be worried about).

It certainly looks like a lot of up and down motion, more than a foot of vertical in just a couple of feet of forward travel.
I would imagine that would feel disconcerting to an average passenger.
Then again, this is the testing phase, and I'd imagine that's what tests are for.
There may even be an amount of stretch that these cables undergo when they are new that the needs to be settled out before the system is opened to riders.

Goofyernmost

...you replied to a comment from 2017 (the very first page) that has already been covered an insane amount of times. Why bring this up again?
I don't know... rest assured that I didn't go all the way back. I apologize I didn't intentionally quote a message from two years ago. I have no idea where I saw it or why I was in that location. I know that I thought it was a current post, I don't look at dates and I don't start at the beginning of an old thread. However, nothing that I said was inaccurate, so we can just move along and I am sure we will all live happily ever after.

allgiggles

It certainly looks like a lot of up and down motion, more than a foot of vertical in just a couple of feet of forward travel.
I would imagine that would feel disconcerting to an average passenger.
Then again, this is the testing phase, and I'd imagine that's what tests are for.
There may even be an amount of stretch that these cables undergo when they are new that the needs to be settled out before the system is opened to riders.

Yes, I'm assuming that there is some stretch involved as weight is added to the system and that at some point it will reach it's "full stretch" and that, along with having people in the cars, will eliminate the "bounce"....at least that's what I'm telling myself. :D

halltd

Yes, I'm assuming that there is some stretch involved as weight is added to the system and that at some point it will reach it's "full stretch" and that, along with having people in the cars, will eliminate the "bounce"....at least that's what I'm telling myself. :D
I’m pretty sure the bull wheels move forward and backward based on weight on the line to keep a specific tension. But, I’m sure @Lift Blog could tell us for sure.

Incomudro

Yes, I was thinking along the lines of how new springs on a car settle after a period of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom