News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

I wonder what this is.

It's actually missing in the shot at the end of the video...

mm121

He sure says the word fun a lot.

If Disney cared about fun transportation they wouldn't have been using mostly busses for the last few decades.

toolsnspools

Did anyone else find it ironic that they mentioned the great view, right before showing a bunch of cabins still covered with the white protective coverings?

joelkfla

This is curious: the windows on the front of the cabin tilt inward, and the windows on the back tilt out! That would seem to invite rain intrusion. (Unwrapped cabins testing on the Studios line have 2 windows in front,, 3 in back.)
My interpretaion was wrong. It looks like the windows are closed, and what's inside the windows is an air flow deflector.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
emergency equipment is a sound guess... but what they include is up for speculation.

Padded seats would have been nice... the idea of being able to quickly pop them in or out as an assembly could have had some legs. Hopefully the slats will be contoured enough to be comfortable (this is from the guy who can't sit on bleachers flat anymore due to my back issues)

DisneyCane

You limit access to the platform... and you have CMs there directing people when they step onto the platform and where they are actually loading.

My guess is they will have a second corral they put people into when they reach the front for those who need the second track... and then feed the second loading point from that corral.

They could have separate lines all together too.. but we don't know yet which tact they have taken.
Whatever they do, we are talking about loading Gondolas not sending a crew to Mars! I've never seen such simple operations be so overly complicated.

I can't wait for this to open so people can experience how mundane the operation is. It's basically the peoplemover suspended from a cable from an operations standpoint.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Whatever they do, we are talking about loading Gondolas not sending a crew to Mars! I've never seen such simple operations be so overly complicated.

I can't wait for this to open so people can experience how mundane the operation is. It's basically the peoplemover suspended from a cable from an operations standpoint.

Peoplemovers don't have gaps guests can intrude into or platforms they can walk off of. People movers use moving platforms. Omnimovers still typically use 2-3 CMs on the load platform. 1 at the controls, one walking the 'last chance'/check position.. and usually one at the entry point or guiding guests into the vehicles. Smaller platforms like SSE might only use 1 on the platform itself.

Something like peter pan is probably a closer analog.. as it has the gapped vehicles and recessed vehicle travel path.

But as soon as you introduce DECISIONS into the process - you can't rely on guests to do it themselves reliably and in the timely manner. For that reason alone, there will be people deciding when people enter the platform.. where they go.. and dealing with the second load zone.

Then add in the staff that will have to be there to help those who need assistance on the secondary load platform.

Look at monorails... which even have automated gates and pens. There still are multiple CMs that work the platform for a system that doesn't have any real variation for guests to screw it up except for to be slow/late.

ABQ

This is curious: the windows on the front of the cabin tilt inward, and the windows on the back tilt out! That would seem to invite rain intrusion. (Unwrapped cabins testing on the Studios line have 2 windows in front,, 3 in back.)

View attachment 365693
I hope that mesh screening is made of vibranium, as I can imagine it being torn to shreds before too long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom