News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

cosmicgirl

I expected them to move faster. Oh well they'll still be faster than the buses...

;)
What you see in the video is not the final speed. The cabin slows down as it goes over the final tower and stalls before entering the station even though it's still attached to the rope, so the only explanation is that they were toggling the rope velocity. Even the initial movement seems much slower than that of any other lifts of this caliber.

toolsnspools

No. That's totally full speed. They might go faster at a ski area, but due to the high humidity, and alligators, they need to run it slower in Florida. They may be able to speed it up a little on really hot days, so they don't overcook the guests, but on normal days, it will be slow and steady.

;)

sndral

Yesterday I rode the two new direct drive lifts at Copper, the American Eagle and American Flyer. The American Eagle is the one where the gondola fell off late last year.

American Flyer just opened this month because of 'software issues' but I think it might actually have some flaws in the design itself. This lift seems to have way too much weight on the line. Apparently an issue with direct drive is that it causes 'more movement' when the lift is stopped. When the lift was stopped, near the bottom terminal chairs were rolling backwards and forwards a good 10-20 feet. At higher portions of the lift between longer tower spans, when the lift stopped the line would sag and chair would drop 10-20 feet, rebound upwards a good 10 feet and then again fall 20-30 feet, and continue to do this a few times. This happened to me twice on the chair though I was never in the middle of the towers where it was the worst. It was definitely the topic of discussion everytime I rode the chair. Someone said there was places where you could see that chairs had hit the ground, but I don't think that was true, though there was one area where the area under the chair was roped off even though we were quite a ways off the ground.

The American Eagle lift didn't seem to have this problem.
Sounds like riding TOT...

JoeCamel

No. That's totally full speed. They might go faster at a ski area, but due to the high humidity, and alligators, they need to run it slower in Florida. They may be able to speed it up a little on really hot days, so they don't overcook the guests, but on normal days, it will be slow and steady.

;)
Stately procession. Could be run like this
pulse.jpg

Don't forget the dip in the lake at the end to stop the cooking.

NormC

What you see in the video is not the final speed. The cabin slows down as it goes over the final tower and stalls before entering the station even though it's still attached to the rope, so the only explanation is that they were toggling the rope velocity. Even the initial movement seems much slower than that of any other lifts of this caliber.
No, the cabins do not slow down after the final tower. The haul rope is a continuous loop at a fixed speed. They do not slow down until they are detached from the haul rope and carried by tires through the station.

LukeS7

No, the cabins do not slow down after the final tower. The haul rope is a continuous loop at a fixed speed. They do not slow down until they are detached from the haul rope and carried by tires through the station.
I think they were referring specifically to the video of the test cabin and pointing out that slowdown as evidence that what is shown is not the final speed rather than them thinking that's how the system operates

cosmicgirl

I think they were referring specifically to the video of the test cabin and pointing out that slowdown as evidence that what is shown is not the final speed rather than them thinking that's how the system operates
Thank you @LukeS7. As was perfectly clear from my post I was indeed referring to the video posted on Twitter and trying to explain to @toolsnspools that the video was not representative of the final product.

I've been following this thread for 18 months and have ridden lifts on three continents. I know how they work by now, thank you.

SLUSHIE

Sounds like riding TOT...

It kinda was. I heard that a few people were actually afraid to ride it. This lift is actually essential for accessing some family/intermediate terrain, so its critical that they got it running but they need to figure something out.

DisneyCane

Yesterday I rode the two new direct drive lifts at Copper, the American Eagle and American Flyer. The American Eagle is the one where the gondola fell off late last year.

American Flyer just opened this month because of 'software issues' but I think it might actually have some flaws in the design itself. This lift seems to have way too much weight on the line. Apparently an issue with direct drive is that it causes 'more movement' when the lift is stopped. When the lift was stopped, near the bottom terminal chairs were rolling backwards and forwards a good 10-20 feet. At higher portions of the lift between longer tower spans, when the lift stopped the line would sag and chair would drop 10-20 feet, rebound upwards a good 10 feet and then again fall 20-30 feet, and continue to do this a few times. This happened to me twice on the chair though I was never in the middle of the towers where it was the worst. It was definitely the topic of discussion everytime I rode the chair. Someone said there was places where you could see that chairs had hit the ground, but I don't think that was true, though there was one area where the area under the chair was roped off even though we were quite a ways off the ground.

The American Eagle lift didn't seem to have this problem.
Were you taking hallucinogens at the time? It isn't possible for there to be that much slack in the cable that chairs could bounce like that. Maybe it seemed to you like it was 10-20 feet but no way it really was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom