News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

jrhwdw

Someone not on here just posted that
Evidently dissidents on the internet are speculating that opening date is August 28 for the resort line, not the EPCOT Center line.

Day before SWGE opens, so what could possibly go wrong...

It's also the same source that said the Seas and Land were closing and CBJ and Tiki were being replaced amongst the other grains of salt, this salt mine has produced recently.
I get the problems with Corless, but do you think it wont be ready by SWGE? I read the article and was happy to see Aug 28th!!!! If he's right this time, at least TDO isn't sitting on their hands until Rivera opens(which isn't until right before Christmas week mind you)

The big question, no matter who breaks the news, will Epcot wait for Rivera or not?????

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Someone not on here just posted that

I get the problems with Corless, but do you think it wont be ready by SWGE? I read the article and was happy to see Aug 28th!!!! If he's right this time, at least TDO isn't sitting on their hands until Rivera opens(which isn't unti right before Christmas week mind you)

The big question, no matter who breaks the news, will Epcot wait for Rivera or not?????

I'm quite surprised they would open the system the day before anticipated (lol) massive (lol) crowds for SWGE. Talk about trial by fire in a very public way. I'm not saying that there will be problems, but why risk it? Of course they've tested and may do a soft opening, but it certainly isn't the more conservative approach Disney has taken with similar things.

Based on the latest construction photos @Rteetz posted, Epcot IG won't be done by then. IG needs to be done to handle the additional crowds generated by the Skyliner. As it is right now, IG with the temporary entrance is problematic. Also it could be a safety issue operating the line through the unfinished Riviera Station?

mgf

Skyliner opening August 28th, sans Epcot line, per Clickbait

I have a really hard time believing they'd risk failure that close to the opening of SW Land. That would mean having extra bus fleet and drivers at the ready with 24hrs notice. Could they do it? Sure. But a competent management team would not play it that close.

I bet it starts running regularly at least two week before or it is not open on the 28th.

Ripken10

I have a really hard time believing they'd risk failure that close to the opening of SW Land. That would mean having extra bus fleet and drivers at the ready with 24hrs notice. Could they do it? Sure. But a competent management team would not play it that close.

I bet it starts running regularly at least two week before or it is not open on the 28th.
On that same thought, wouldn't one think they would plan on having extra bus fleets ready for SW opening regardless of gondolas.

jrhwdw

I'm quite surprised they would open the system the day before anticipated (lol) massive (lol) crowds for SWGE. Talk about trial by fire in a very public way. I'm not saying that there will be problems, but why risk it? Of course they've tested and may do a soft opening, but it certainly isn't the more conservative approach Disney has taken with similar things.

Based on the latest construction photos @Rteetz posted, Epcot IG won't be done by then. IG needs to be done to handle the additional crowds generated by the Skyliner. As it is right now, IG with the temporary entrance is problematic. Also it could be a safety issue operating the line through the unfinished Riviera Station?
Don't tell me SWGE is gong to flop in DHS too?!?!?!?! Although IDK how much I believe the DL reports since every stream I go into, SWGE in never dead. I do agree that something smells with DL's management with the sudden trade of MSEP with Soundsational. But I thought, SWGE and DL Forever's return was GOOD for DL????

jrhwdw

On that same thought, wouldn't one think they would plan on having extra bus fleets ready for SW opening regardless of gondolas.
Does TDO have extra bus fleets Christmas week? I saw a Resort Monorail Bus on a NYE Stream, which I thought was weird since the Monorails were running.

cosmicgirl

Evidently dissidents on the internet are speculating that opening date is August 28 for the resort line, not the EPCOT Center line.

Day before SWGE opens, so what could possibly go wrong...

It's also the same source that said the Seas and Land were closing and CBJ and Tiki were being replaced amongst the other grains of salt, this salt mine has produced recently.

With the amount of testing they've done and the fact that this is hardly new technology I don't see why anything would go wrong on the first day(s) of operation. As long as their signage is in order (which I don't doubt) and they properly inform all guests staying at the relevant resorts of the change in transportation I don't see why anything would go wrong. Even if it's the day before GE's opening and the start of F&W. Not that I necessarily believe this will be the day.

jrhwdw

This might be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. Is there media in town that for SWGE?? WDW may want Skyliner open in time for Media??

pdude81

Does TDO have extra bus fleets Christmas week? I saw a Resort Monorail Bus on a NYE Stream, which I thought was weird since the Monorails were running.
Where did you see the bus? Monorail resorts all still have to take buses to parks that aren't on the monorail loop.

monothingie

Premium Member
With the amount of testing they've done and the fact that this is hardly new technology I don't see why anything would go wrong on the first day(s) of operation. As long as their signage is in order (which I don't doubt) and they properly inform all guests staying at the relevant resorts of the change in transportation I don't see why anything would go wrong. Even if it's the day before GE's opening and the start of F&W. Not that I necessarily believe this will be the day.

Unless they have hundreds of cast members riding simultaneously to simulate actual operation, all the pre-testing in the world can't account for guest behavior and actions. Additionally it seems almost foolhardy to open the system and change guest transportation methods for three large resorts the day before a very public and very crowded event at DHS.

Bender123

Where did you see the bus? Monorail resorts all still have to take buses to parks that aren't on the monorail loop.

I believe this is regarding high volume times of year...
Its rare, but I have seen them adding busses to parks during peak seasons, even on the monorail line resorts. Anything to lesson the choke point that is the monorail stations, it seems.

The second part of the question is that there must be some type of contract with Mears and other bus companies, as I have been on an overflow Mears bus from FQ to various parks during various holidays. It was just a standard coach bus with a sign in the front window.

monothingie

Premium Member
It's actually funny to see when they need excess capacity to monorail resorts of the monorails breaks down (less often now), they send buses that cary the "Resort Monorail" tag in the electronic display (on the bus).

cosmicgirl

Unless they have hundreds of cast members riding simultaneously to simulate actual operation, all the pre-testing in the world can't account for guest behavior and actions. Additionally it seems almost foolhardy to open the system and change guest transportation methods for three large resorts the day before a very public and very crowded event at DHS.
Except guest behavior and actions have been simulated on the hundreds of other lifts of this type (not D-lines per se) around the world. Minus the ECVs, yes, but we already know those are handled separately from the main flow. And as mentioned above I'm not saying I believe they'll wait to open until the day before. Like yourself I think they'll open sooner just in case. All I'm saying is that I'm not expecting there to be any insurmountable issues on opening day, even if that happens to be the day before GE opens.

Last edited:

truecoat

I do agree that something smells with DL's management with the sudden trade of MSEP with Soundsational. But I thought, SWGE and DL Forever's return was GOOD for DL????

Just so you know, the MSEP floats were on DL property before the SWGE reservation period ended. The parade wasn't some knee jerk reaction to low crowds at DL, it was planned in advance.

Jon81uk

It seems reasonably likely that there could be soft openings in the middle of August with a back-up bus service and then a grand opening on the 28th August and that's when continuous service starts to Hollywood Studios.
Then the same happens with the Epcot line a month or two later, soft opening and then a full grand opening.

jrhwdw

The Resort Monorail Bus was going into MK. The NYE Stream was walking to Contemp. IDK if its still online, There were Stream problems in Contemp. NYE.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Don't tell me SWGE is gong to flop in DHS too?!?!?!?! Although IDK how much I believe the DL reports since every stream I go into, SWGE in never dead. I do agree that something smells with DL's management with the sudden trade of MSEP with Soundsational. But I thought, SWGE and DL Forever's return was GOOD for DL????
Not every Star Wars fan is as persnickety as Southern California Star Wars fans...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If there ARE any issues, I'd expect them in line management, especially the ECV/wheelchair lanes in the stations.

monothingie

Premium Member
Just so you know, the MSEP floats were on DL property before the SWGE reservation period ended. The parade wasn't some knee jerk reaction to low crowds at DL, it was planned in advance.
Almost as if the parade was intended to absorb crowds and provide excess capacity...what a novel concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom