News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

lazyboy97o

I'm trying to envision one of these cars switching paths... can't grasp it very well...
The gondolas don’t switch paths. Guests transfer at Caribbean Beach. The only switching would be sending gondolas over to the accessible loading areas at the terminal stations or over to the storage areas at Caribbean Beach.

Last edited:

nace888

It's actually the opposite of "grasp".
When the gondola enters a station, the clamp releases its grasp on the haul rope and then uses separate wheels to maneuver.
As others have said, the only switching is between main load and the alternate load for those needing more time.
That's what i'm referring to... would that be controlled by the console?

EvilChameleon

I've always wondered... when there is construction at WDW next to water, you always see those floating tubes appear on the water. What are they, and what purpose do they serve?

JoeCamel

That's what i'm referring to... would that be controlled by the console?
They could, if necessary, move it to the slow load from the console but normal operation is to open the clamp as the gondola enters the station and the gondola is propelled by a tire drive which can move a cabin to the back trak or leave it on the faster track and have normal load. For the most part general population will not notice this, for the guests requiring assistance boarding then the cabins that are shuttled to the slow load can be accomodated. Neat system

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
What are some of the reasons you may want a door to open or not to open at a terminus of one of the lines?

Is this a common installed option?

This will be used to keep agitated, panicking, and cooked guests in their aerial cells. You don’t want crazies running around the stations after a ride causing havoc.

As the Pink Floyd song goes: “Got to keep the loonies in the glass.”

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
:cautious: uh, you're a bit off the path, there, mate...

Indeed. ;)

2qnawi0.jpg

voodoo321

Will the restrooms have AC? :)
The gondolas will have restrooms in them? That's good. That is one thing that I always thought was noticeably missing from the monorails. And does anybody know what the chances are of permanent blindness from the sunlight reflecting from the mirrored windows? There will be multiple complaints if that becomes an issue. Something that they should've considered.

Sull1102

I assume it is controlled by the CM at the station. We don't know yet if they will automatically route every tenth car onto the slow lane (or some other ratio) or if it will happen on a case by case basis. You could have a couple sitting on the alternate line and just pull one out of line when a full one is ready to go.

There is no "slow lane" persay. That off track or the farthest track in is for maintenance cars and if you need to pull a car for an emergency or something like that. Something like a window is somehow shattered, you could pull that cabin off and keep operations going smoothly. When a wheelchair or something arrives to board they'll just slow the line down, same operation that happens every single day at ski areas in winter and summer. The cabins come in on the main line at speed, detach from the line and are then driven by the tires around while people board and then they retach as they leave the station.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
There is no "slow lane" persay. That off track or the farthest track in is for maintenance cars and if you need to pull a car for an emergency or something like that. Something like a window is somehow shattered, you could pull that cabin off and keep operations going smoothly. When a wheelchair or something arrives to board they'll just slow the line down, same operation that happens every single day at ski areas in winter and summer. The cabins come in on the main line at speed, detach from the line and are then driven by the tires around while people board and then they retach as they leave the station.

The extra section of the loading area, what he is calling the "slow lane", is unique to Disney's gondola and so far can be seen at both ends of every leg of the system. This is not for maintenance but it likely to help assist with handicap loading.

1531084813888.png

lazyboy97o

Cars that need to be pulled from the line can be sent to the storage area when they return to Caribbean Beach. The terminal stations have dedicated accessed loading.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Sorry, but: per se

🌈🌟 :D

I have a question that might seem silly, but I'll ask anyways because I know absolutely nothing about this. When I looked at video that showed the gondolas, it made me want to ask this.

1. Say if you are going from Art of Animation resort to Hollywood Studios. Do you ride your gondola from Animation to Caribbean Beach and then get off and get on ANOTHER gondola that goes from Caribbean Beach to Hollywood Studios? Or do you just stay in the same gondola and it just swings through the station and keeps going?
2. Same if you are staying at Caribbean Beach and going to Epcot. Do you have to make a transfer at the Boardwalk?

lazyboy97o

I have a question that might seem silly, but I'll ask anyways because I know absolutely nothing about this. When I looked at video that showed the gondolas, it made me want to ask this.

1. Say if you are going from Art of Animation resort to Hollywood Studios. Do you ride your gondola from Animation to Caribbean Beach and then get off and get on ANOTHER gondola that goes from Caribbean Beach to Hollywood Studios? Or do you just stay in the same gondola and it just swings through the station and keeps going?
2. Same if you are staying at Caribbean Beach and going to Epcot. Do you have to make a transfer at the Boardwalk?
Caribbean Beach is the only transfer station, you must transfer yourself at the station by changing lines. Boardwalk is a turning station with no loading or unloading.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom