News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There may be and it may do. I'm aware of another system type that *may* be built in the future to serve other areas of the property.

Maybe. Waaaayyyyy down the line.

With all the new Disney-bus-only lanes being put it... would this new system be self-driving vehicles taking advantage of the exclusive lanes?

flynnibus

Premium Member
For everyone worried about lightning, provided that the gondola is enclosed you will not be electrocuted because the gondola is a Faraday cage. The Lightning will simply go around the outside of the gondola and not through you. Check out the concept on Wikipedia, it's also the reason you don't get electrocuted in cars or planes.

Lightning could cause the electrical systems running the ride to overload, but I suspect Disney will build it in such a way so that the system is protected from this.

No it's not a faraday cage. It's simply that you are not the path to ground.

A faraday cage is a conductive enclosure.... and the principle is that electricity goes to the exterior of conductor, not inside (to keep it ultra simple)... creating a canceling effect of the resulting em fields. A gondola of fiberglass, plastic, and steel structure is not such an enclosure.

The safety of something like a gondola is based on the science that current flows to the path of least resistance and that you need voltage differentials. It's the same concept behind lightning rods. The lightning will hit the towers, or rods on them, and flow along the easiest path to ground. Your gondola up it the air is not a path to a lower potential... it's likely floating at the same potential as the cables. No differential, no current flow.

The danger to such systems is the lightning jumping to electrical systems instead of direct grounding. It's tough to isolate the drive and control systems fully. Not running in lightning is a safety to prevent stranding people... not so much fear of electrocution. (There is a risk of burns if a strike happened near a cabin)

flynnibus

Premium Member
72084548756ed36e8d72e482e46c91f0.jpg

I mean, seriously. I've never seen such denial since Star Wars Land was announced for DHS

Probably in part because the posters keep saying it as fact... without directly acknowledging they have sources telling them it is fact. So some are trying to decode if someone is lazily stating their opinion... or if they are relaying news.

MCast

The Boardwalk is my home resort and I have reservations of the potential for an influx of late-night crowds. Let's hope people keep it classy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
But couldn't the utility work be for any number of things at WDW? Is there a reason that you are positive that this is for the Gondola project?

We have seen single permit for utility work for a single project at two locations in CBR, AOA, DHS, Buena Vista Dr where the turn station is going to be and at Epcot IG. Can't really be anything else with those locations involved.

Clamman73

I wasn't even thinking about that bonus of Boardwalk after hours...so here's my future Fall 2019 trip...

After enjoying a day at EPCOT Center Part Deux of riding the new Galaxy of Energy and Ratatouille West, then watching IllumiNations: Reflections of Drones, walk over to AbracadaBAR for a quick drink and magic trick, then over to Ample Hills for some to-go ice cream...walk over to International Gateway Gondola station for a trip back to POP to rest at my $200/night standard room.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Probably in part because the posters keep saying it as fact... without directly acknowledging they have sources telling them it is fact. So some are trying to decode if someone is lazily stating their opinion... or if they are relaying news.

It's more a case of the questioners being lazy and not reading the whole thread. If they did, they'd see it mentioned several times that those stating it as fact are indeed insiders with inside information. There's been about 5 insiders all agreeing it is definitely Gondolas.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It's more a case of the questioners being lazy and not reading the whole thread. If they did, they'd see it mentioned several times that those stating it as fact are indeed insiders with inside information. There's been about 5 insiders all agreeing it is definitely Gondolas.

... and something we don't often get, actual public documents that support that.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The gondolas will also provide direct transportation to the Boardwalk itself (via a short walk from IG) for about 7,000 rooms full of guests. It should help business at the restaurants and might make the Boardwalk a little more relevant as an entertainment location.

I always get a bit itchy when people talk about BoardWalk as this great destination spot, especially for the nightlife.

BoardWalk Inn, as a deluxe resort, has the same suite of restaurants and shops that any other deluxe resort normally has. The difference is that their amenities are in an outside mall with a lakeside board walk. Sure, that gives their amenities a nice theme and setting, but, that really doesn't make that set of amenities that much better than any other deluxe's amenities.

And "The BoardWalk" is in no way comparable to actual seaside board walks that have games, rides, and attractions. It's a suggestive theme, not an actual description of the kind of place one usually associates with a board walk (especially if your from the Northeast seaside corridor where board walks, such as Coney Island or Atlantic City, are a big thing).

The big difference is the piano bar and dance hall. So basically, this mythic "night life" of BoardWalk is basically just the piano bar and dance hall. It's great that they're there. And fun for those who enjoy it. But, IMO, that hardly makes BoardWalk a 'destination spot' like Disney Springs is.

I'm done with this soap box, anyone want it?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wasn't even thinking about that bonus of Boardwalk after hours...so here's my future Fall 2019 trip...

After enjoying a day at EPCOT Center Part Deux of riding the new Galaxy of Energy and Ratatouille West, then watching IllumiNations: Reflections of Drones, walk over to AbracadaBAR for a quick drink and magic trick, then over to Ample Hills for some to-go ice cream...walk over to International Gateway Gondola station for a trip back to POP to rest at my $200/night standard room.
Apart from Guardians may not be quite ready by then...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It doesn't directly impact those resorts with a direct stop. It would be easy to walk over to the EPCOT station and take a ride back to DHS but it probably wouldn't be a whole lot faster than the boats. I think earlier the estimate was about 15 mins from EPCOT to DHS on the gondola. I think the friendship boats take about 25 mins to a half hour park to park since they stop and dock at each resort on their way. If you are staying at Swan/Dolphin it's much faster to get to/from DHS since it's the last stop going and the first stop coming home. For BW it should be slightly faster to walk to IG and ride the gondolas and avoid stopping at the other 2 resorts, especially if you have to wait for the boat to arrive.

The gondolas will also provide direct transportation to the Boardwalk itself (via a short walk from IG) for about 7,000 rooms full of guests. It should help business at the restaurants and might make the Boardwalk a little more relevant as an entertainment location.

It will also be good for the restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Oh I know the sum of the situation- just pointing out why in isolation some may have skepticism about comments. From the start several posters have spoken with authority without really acknowledging they have information outside of what has been shared here. More so than usual no less.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
It will also be good for the restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin.

I'm not sure. How many people at the POP/AoA/CBR/CBR-DVC are going to get off at the IG and then walk to or boat to (boating takes longer) the Swolphin for one of their restaurants? They're good restaurants. Not sure how much they would be considered 'destination restaurants.' I keep recommending to people looking for sit-down meals at DHS to pop out to the Swolphin or the other Crescent Lake resorts for a meal. But the Gondola's route really doesn't help.

Besides, I think the Swolphin restaurants are doing fine on their own because of all the Swolphin conventioneers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I always get a bit itchy when people talk about BoardWalk as this great destination spot, especially for the nightlife.

BoardWalk Inn, as a deluxe resort, has the same suite of restaurants and shops that any other deluxe resort normally has. The difference is that their amenities are in an outside mall with a lakeside board walk. Sure, that gives their amenities a nice theme and setting, but, that really doesn't make that set of amenities that much better than any other deluxe's amenities.

And "The BoardWalk" is in no way comparable to actual seaside board walks that have games, rides, and attractions. It's a suggestive theme, not an actual description of the kind of place one usually associates with a board walk (especially if your from the Northeast seaside corridor where board walks, such as Coney Island or Atlantic City, are a big thing).

The big difference is the piano bar and dance hall. So basically, this mythic "night life" of BoardWalk is basically just the piano bar and dance hall. It's great that they're there. And fun for those who enjoy it. But, IMO, that hardly makes BoardWalk a 'destination spot' like Disney Springs is.

I'm done with this soap box, anyone want it?
I get what you are saying, but the Boardwalk is under utilized right now. Nobody is saying it should compete with Disney Springs, but it has the potential to be more than it is. Yes, there's a hotel there, but it's also an entertainment area. It was never intended that the restaurants and other entertainment were exclusively for resort guests. Disney has advertised the Boardwalk as a separate entertainment area since it opened.

They have street performers, midway type games and other entertainment but not every night and some things close seasonally. Atlantic Dance Hall is often closed or used for private events. Jelly rolls still seems to do well. There is also the mini-golf course nearby. There is a lot of stuff to do, but it's not that easy to get to for most people staying on property. This will help with that. There's also some good restaurants at BC/YC and Swan/Dolphin that will benefit from the system.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
There may be and it may do. I'm aware of another system type that *may* be built in the future to serve other areas of the property.

Maybe. Waaaayyyyy down the line.
Nice. I assume there isn't much else you can say at the moment, so I'll just say thanks for sharing and that I hope that there is at least a chance it might be WEDway type system :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom