New Gillig Buses

FireChiefGoofy

Original Poster
The new Gillig buses have started to hit the roads at WDW. These buses feature the new Disney Transport paint scheme. These additions will help phase out the old RTS buses that require walking up stairs to board. I can't wait to get behind the wheel!!!

575450_4508052074400_1236846397_n.jpg

Epicpilot

Sorry for going a bit off-topic but can someone explain to me or show me what the difference is between the different buses?

Figments Friend

The new Gillig buses have started to hit the roads at WDW. These buses feature the new Disney Transport paint scheme. These additions will help phase out the old RTS buses that require walking up stairs to board. I can't wait to get behind the wheel!!!

575450_4508052074400_1236846397_n.jpg
Hi FireCheifGoofy...good to see you posting again!

Loving the new buses...i have been on this style of bus before and they are roomier and more spacious then the RTS models. Also loving the new paint scheme. Sweet!

Figments Friend

Sorry for going a bit off-topic but can someone explain to me or show me what the difference is between the different buses?
Sure...i ride the same model where i live almost daily.
I use public transport, and we used to have a all RTS fleet that switched to these same new buses a few years back.
It was a HUGE improvement...and these will be awesome for WDW Guests.

Compared to the rounder, older RTS models, the new buses are slightly larger, and are much roomier inside.
The center isle is MUCH roomier, and not as narrow. Same goes for the seat isle.
This will be a big help on those nights after Park Dump ( when the Parks close, and everyone packs the bus stops ).
They are more square shaped inside, so it gives a less congested feel when the bus is full.
More people will be able to stand up if need be.

The doors are slightly different, and a big improvement when compared to the RTS models. Instead of just one person being able to pass through the door at a time, two could load at once. This makes for faster loading and unloading which will be a benefit at WDW i would wager.

Another nice plus is the lower floor, which also has a drop-gate for loading wheelchairs and large strollers. The mechanics for this are much more reliable it seems from my experiences riding and it is rare that you get held up by a lift that is having difficulties. So this will be big plus for the drivers i am sure.

The new buses are a huge improvement. Great to see them starting to be rolled out ....literally!

:)

FireChiefGoofy

Original Poster
The RTS bus is the old style bus that Disney used originally. They have three large steps you need to climb to get in and out. Also the wheelchair access is very limited due to the rear stairs folding out to load wheelchairs and ECVs. The Nova bus has the large windshield and doors and round headlights. They drive very well and stop on a dime. The Gillig is the square bus with double headlights in the front. Very easy to drive, however, some of the engine retarders are very hard making many guests think the driver is slamming on the brakes. I prefer the Gillig because it is very driver and guest friendly. The Gillig and Nova can hold 72 guests. The number of guests is becoming limited by the oversized strollers that take up space that two or three people could fit in.

The new Gillig buses also come equipped with the new wheelchair restraint system. The new system is safer for the driver eliminating the need to reach and stretch for the straps and also saves time. The cost if these new Q-Pod system is around $15,000 per unit.

FireChiefGoofy

Original Poster
And remember folks, the front and back doors are the same size. Just because you have a Cadillac stroller does not mean you are entitled to enter through the back doors. The back doors are EXIT only. The driver cannot see people boarding, only disembarking, which is why the doors will close on you if you try to enter. Plus there is a clearly marked DO NOT ENTER international symbol on the doors. The rear door area is also not a stroller storage area. All strollers must be held on to during transit. That is a federal DOT law. Sorry for the rant, but it has been a long week of guests not following SAFETY procedures. I know your on vacation, but this is my job that pays my bills. I love Disney, which is why I am a cast member, but my safety and guest safety trumps everything.

Tim_4

And remember folks, the front and back doors are the same size. Just because you have a Cadillac stroller does not mean you are entitled to enter through the back doors. The back doors are EXIT only. The driver cannot see people boarding, only disembarking, which is why the doors will close on you if you try to enter. Plus there is a clearly marked DO NOT ENTER international symbol on the doors. The rear door area is also not a stroller storage area. All strollers must be held on to during transit. That is a federal DOT law. Sorry for the rant, but it has been a long week of guests not following SAFETY procedures. I know your on vacation, but this is my job that pays my bills. I love Disney, which is why I am a cast member, but my safety and guest safety trumps everything.
I don't mean to drift the thread but since you know what you're talking about, why do driver shift changes cause such a delay?

FireChiefGoofy

Original Poster
I don't mean to drift the thread but since you know what you're talking about, why do driver shift changes cause such a delay?

We have to walk the exterior of the bus. We are responsible for any damage. If all visible damage is already noted on the log, then we are good. Then we need to enter the route code in the computer, set the mirrors and adjust the seat. It is for everyone's SAFETY that we examine the bus. You wouldn't want to ride in a bus with inoperable lights or objects in the tires. We also need to screen the guests to make sure they are not intoxicated and wearing the appropriate clothing and not bringing open alcoholic drinks on board. I like to have the driver I'm relieving board the guests while I do my check. No need to be out in the heat or rain any longer than necessary. If we do find a problem, depending on how severe, we can have it addressed at our shop later, or get another bus to take guests to their resort. Safety is the first key of our four key basics at WDW.

Tim_4

We have to walk the exterior of the bus. We are responsible for any damage. If all visible damage is already noted on the log, then we are good. Then we need to enter the route code in the computer, set the mirrors and adjust the seat. It is for everyone's SAFETY that we examine the bus. You wouldn't want to ride in a bus with inoperable lights or objects in the tires. We also need to screen the guests to make sure they are not intoxicated and wearing the appropriate clothing and not bringing open alcoholic drinks on board. I like to have the driver I'm relieving board the guests while I do my check. No need to be out in the heat or rain any longer than necessary. If we do find a problem, depending on how severe, we can have it addressed at our shop later, or get another bus to take guests to their resort. Safety is the first key of our four key basics at WDW.
Thanks. I hope I didn't suggest that it was something the drivers were doing wrong that caused the delays. It seems that it might be better if Disney did shift changes at the FWIF than while people are waiting to board at the MK. Most guests don't have the luxury of you explaining the system to them and they can get impatient when they don't know what's going on.

FireChiefGoofy

Original Poster
Thanks. I hope I didn't suggest that it was something the drivers were doing wrong that caused the delays. It seems that it might be better if Disney did shift changes at the FWIF than while people are waiting to board at the MK. Most guests don't have the luxury of you explaining the system to them and they can get impatient when they don't know what's going on.

Shift change at FIW (Fuel, Inspect, & Wash) located next to the MK Hess station just wouldn't work. That would actually take longer. An AK bus would have to travel to the MK area. Round trip is almost 40 minutes that the bus would be out of service instead of five or ten minutes. Plus there is little to no parking there. Each bus hub (DTD, MK, AK, Epcot, and DHS) has about 75 drivers per shift. Once again, all done for everyone's safety. Disney's bus fleet is fueled and washed EVERY night. Show me a city that washes every bus every night. Any minor items that need repair are tended to at that time.

DizFiz

I think this new scheme is mediocre very bland IMO and doesn't scream Disney to me like the old scheme but nevertheless it is great to see the buses finally getting some attention.

Goofyernmost

Shift change at FIW (Fuel, Inspect, & Wash) located next to the MK Hess station just wouldn't work. That would actually take longer. An AK bus would have to travel to the MK area. Round trip is almost 40 minutes that the bus would be out of service instead of five or ten minutes. Plus there is little to no parking there. Each bus hub (DTD, MK, AK, Epcot, and DHS) has about 75 drivers per shift. Once again, all done for everyone's safety. Disney's bus fleet is fueled and washed EVERY night. Show me a city that washes every bus every night. Any minor items that need repair are tended to at that time.
The municipal bus company that I worked for before I retired did that. Great set-up. Fueled, fluids checked, driver checklist looked at for minor problems that were then fixed and then run through the bus wash every night. When I started all they had were RTS buses, but for a few years before I retired they started to switch over to Gilligs. They were much easier to load Chairs and ETV's, but as you said those engine retarders were tricky and if you didn't ease the brake it would really make a smooth ride harder to accomplish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom