New gastropub to replace Captain's Grille at Disney's Yacht Club

ABQ

It is incredibly boring and very pedestrian...I have said this before about whoever their interior design staff are nowadays, every space looks straight out of the Marriott school of hospitality playbook...
It is not the Disney Difference we were all raised on... The De-furbishment of The FLying Fish into a VERY plain restaurant interior has shown me they really don't understand thematic design at all.
I know it's not as whimsical as it used to be, but I had dinner not too long ago in the post refurbed Flying Fish and it's not as lame as a Marriott hotel.
Certainly the bar area is pretty cool, though it's possibly just because I live in a flyover state without all the fancy pants restaurants you have near you, but Flying Fish is still unique to me.
Flying-Fish-Cafe_Full_28581.jpg

Bocabear

I know it's not as whimsical as it used to be, but I had dinner not too long ago in the post refurbed Flying Fish and it's not as lame as a Marriott hotel.
Certainly the bar area is pretty cool, though it's possibly just because I live in a flyover state without all the fancy pants restaurants you have near you, but Flying Fish is still unique to me.
Flying-Fish-Cafe_Full_28581.jpg
I guess....But down here in South Florida this is kinda regular...in Miami the restaurants are even more elaborate... The real problem I have is that they ripped out original murals and custom built art and chandeliers and creative design to put in a restaurant decorated with off-the-shelf, common goods... Yes it is a "nice" restaurant, but nowhere near the WOW that it was...(I agree the interior was getting a little dated)... BlueZoo at the Dolphin is a lot more dramatic and creative... So I guess Todd English and Starwood Resorts have more creative interior designers than Disney? That is just plain sad.

Bairstow

I guess....But down here in South Florida this is kinda regular...in Miami the restaurants are even more elaborate... The real problem I have is that they ripped out original murals and custom built art and chandeliers and creative design to put in a restaurant decorated with off-the-shelf, common goods... Yes it is a "nice" restaurant, but nowhere near the WOW that it was...(I agree the interior was getting a little dated)... BlueZoo at the Dolphin is a lot more dramatic and creative... So I guess Todd English and Starwood Resorts have more creative interior designers than Disney? That is just plain sad.
Could just be the current design trend.
Chipotle sparse is in, TGIFridays clutter is out.

Bocabear

It's not even about clutter...it is creating a beautiful interior that evokes the theme of the resort, is transportive and out of the ordinary...
The old Flying Fish had lots of nods to the boardwalk along with a very modern (it was the 90s) and dramatic flair. A fun use of materials that were not widely used at the time and lots of custom touches...
New flying fish has it's own cocktail bar attached themed to boardwalk magicians, but rather than work parts of that theme into the new interior, they opted for a theme-less, contemporary any city USA theme with a few nautical touches... Disney resort interiors should not be following the trend of Chipotle and TGI Fridays... they should be worlds better, completely memorable and should surprise and delight the senses...

Last edited:

Flynnwriter

What is going on?! This restaurat concept and prison-like concept art has NOTHING to do with the yacht club and the story, or the Robert AM Stern architecture. The recent peice meal, Hyatt-like interiorization of the yacht club is alarming for all of Disney resorts. Change is fine, but change from incompetent designers or Florida-based "imagineers" is really disturbing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Recent restaurant additions (Geyser Point, Market Ale and Compass) along with the concept art lead me to believe it'll be charmless, unthemed, and weirdly reminiscent of an airport bar and grill. I know they are well-intentioned and that the place could use a fixer upper, but these renovations are generic beyond belief. I feel like the recent initiative to update the resorts loses sight of what makes them friendly and unique. We'll see I guess.

Remember 'cheap to maintain' has replaced 'unique and friendly' and once they all look like airport restaurants Disney can bring in HMSHost or one of the other food service contractors to run them.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It is incredibly boring and very pedestrian...I have said this before about whoever their interior design staff are nowadays, every space looks straight out of the Marriott school of hospitality playbook...
It is not the Disney Difference we were all raised on... The De-furbishment of The FLying Fish into a VERY plain restaurant interior has shown me they really don't understand thematic design at all.

They do, It's just TDO is unwilling to PAY for it people will come no matter what the place looks like so lets do it on the cheap.

Bocabear

They do, It's just TDO is unwilling to PAY for it people will come no matter what the place looks like so lets do it on the cheap.
but then you have to ask the question, why destroy the expensive and unique custom interior at all... replace the carpet, and worn uholstery without removing all of the beautifully designed custom touches they are unwilling to re-purchase for the new interior... Unless they can do better, they should leave it alone.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
but then you have to ask the question, why destroy the expensive and unique custom interior at all... replace the carpet, and worn uholstery without removing all of the beautifully designed custom touches they are unwilling to re-purchase for the new interior... Unless they can do better, they should leave it alone.

Its very simple its expensive to maintain those details. So gut the space and put in cheap and easy to clean materials just like TDO is doing with hotel rooms.

I agree with you but Disneys new management philosophy is cheap to buy and cheap to maintain

Cousin Huet

I caught gastropub at my last hipster gathering.

They love to reinvent things by throwing a made up name on it. The big one besides gastro pub that I am seeing a lot of now is "scratch kitchen" to describe the new industrial themed restaurant opening up in the area. The bastardize these words to sounds cool to appeal to the people that need to feel exclusive without being exclusive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom