New gastropub to replace Captain's Grille at Disney's Yacht Club

BlindChow

These days, muted tones and bare walls are considered "classy."
Seriously. Have you seen what they did to the Pop Century rooms?

DormRoom1.jpg

*Q*

Recent restaurant additions (Geyser Point, Market Ale and Compass) along with the concept art lead me to believe it'll be charmless, unthemed, and weirdly reminiscent of an airport bar and grill. I know they are well-intentioned and that the place could use a fixer upper, but these renovations are generic beyond belief. I feel like the recent initiative to update the resorts loses sight of what makes them friendly and unique. We'll see I guess.
I agree about the new Yacht Club quick service, but I thought Geyser Point was really well done.

Biff215

So now Pop Century is Vista Waaayyyyyyy?
Lol...that's not really VW is it? It's been 17 years but I hope I'm not really getting that old!

Very interested to see what happens at YC. We love BCV and always do at least one breakfast there. It's a shame they can't find space to carve out a proper quick service location for both resorts. Really is all I miss from the other deluxe resorts.

Club34

Amazing.

5 sentences of an article...a couple of frames of concept art.....and some geniuses have already come to the conclusion that it's terrible.

Brilliant! Glad I'm not taking advice from any of you seriously for my vacation plans.

oh, c'mon. by this metric, they should just shut down the forums altogether.

Sans Souci

I really enjoyed my meals at Captain's Grille, but it does need an update. We would eat there twice on each visit. Breakfasts were delicious and we've always had wonderful servers. I hope the new venue is just as good.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I don't know what you haters are talking about, I completely appreciated the modern updates that a lot of these resorts are getting, starting with the Polynesian lobby several years ago. The people complaining about an "Ikea" vibe wouldn't know interior design if it him them in the face with a throw pillow. Updating a resort from "South Pacific resort as imagined in 1971" to "South Pacific resort as imagined in 2014" is a step forward in my opinion. There's no reason the deluxe resorts should provide anything less than modern accommodations, no matter what the theme. "Muh theming" is just an excuse to cling to old, ugly, outdated decor in the name of nostalgia.

MuteSuperstar

Updating a resort from "South Pacific resort as imagined in 1971" to "South Pacific resort as imagined in 2014" is a step forward in my opinion. There's no reason the deluxe resorts should provide anything less than modern accommodations, no matter what the theme. "Muh theming" is just an excuse to cling to old, ugly, outdated decor in the name of nostalgia.

I certainly can't disagree that some of the decor was outdated, but I vastly preferred the old lobby. But I also think that life in general in the 70's/80's was far better than it is now, so there ya go.

MotherOfBirds

As far as Poly is concerned, keeping it as a groovy, semi kitschy conception of a south pacific resort would be great and would only require good maintenance and occasional paint/fabric changes. I feel like the same applies to Y&B. Change some superficial things like colors and fabrics and uniforms but maintain the theme. The concept art for this looks a whole lot to me like their take on Highball & Harvest down the street

Bocabear

It is incredibly boring and very pedestrian...I have said this before about whoever their interior design staff are nowadays, every space looks straight out of the Marriott school of hospitality playbook...
It is not the Disney Difference we were all raised on... The De-furbishment of The FLying Fish into a VERY plain restaurant interior has shown me they really don't understand thematic design at all.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It is incredibly boring and very pedestrian...I have said this before about whoever their interior design staff are nowadays, every space looks straight out of the Marriott school of hospitality playbook...
It is not the Disney Difference we were all raised on... The De-furbishment of The FLying Fish into a VERY plain restaurant interior has shown me they really don't understand thematic design at all.
It sounds like the Yacht Club just might not be your aesthetic. Yacht, Beach, Contemporary, Boardwalk, and even the Grand Floridian are resort hotels that are themed as... resort hotels. The "real" theming is at DAK Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Fort Wilderness, and even most of the moderate resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom