New Film for Soarin' and Potential 3rd Theater

matt9112

No honestly I am not a big fan of Universal of late. Soarin seems a video, compared to Spiderman which is very immersive. Did not get on the HP ride when we were there in 2010 as the wait was 4 hours long. Simpsons ride was neat. Personally I am not a fan of video screens as the signature part of an attraction. I love the environments of POTC, WOM, Horizons, HM.......animatronic rides. Then there are the coasters, love them all. I can get video screens at home or at work.

four hours is a bit much...i walked on in 2010....but it was the best ride i have ever experienced...and it uses a lot of screens...the right way. by far the most amazing thing i have been on...

Goofyernmost

No it isn't.

Its one of the more consistent attractions in DCA. 20+mins or up to an hour on busy days.

chart
I can't attest for every single day, but, when I saw it in 2005, I was the only one in the queue and joined two others on the ride. If that has changed great, but, I can only judge it by my personal experience. If your fancy little graph disputes my personal observation, I'm fine with accepting that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can't attest for every single day, but, when I saw it in 2005, I was the only one in the queue and joined two others on the ride. If that has changed great, but, I can only judge it by my personal experience. If your fancy little graph disputes my personal observation, I'm fine with accepting that.

Consider looking up 'anecdotal' before making blanket claims.

Goofyernmost

Consider looking up 'anecdotal' before making blanket claims.
Consider that this is a discussion board that I use to express my opinion. Your graph, though very clear does not indicate a time span, date or anything more then a number of days that the line length was long. Since your graph does not indicate any clue of time or occasion it is far more anecdotal then mine. Mine was a factual, seen with my own eyes, event. The graft, for all you know, are made up, wish it were, figures.

I will admit that when I went to DCA it was DL 50th. The place was very crowded, but, perhaps most of the activity was in DL and not DCA. I believe they rebuilt the place because no one was going to it. What has happened since I witnessed it might very well have changed, but, to be honest, I really don't care enough to spend my time researching my every opinion especially when it has no real relevance to anything.

mm121

I don't know when WDW will figure out that Soarin' is nearly a walk-on in California because there is other stuff to do in the park. It's a great attraction and a must do every trip for us. However, if there were something decent to do in the Imagination and Wonders of life Pavilions and maybe attractions in a couple of countries in WS, the line wouldn't be as long.
While I think adding more screens is still a good idea, I definitely agree with this.

That if there were more things to do it would disperse the crowds more.
I'm hoping there's more than one film and they rotate them. Make it like Star Tours so I get a variety of different experiences.
This would be great, with 4 screens though the previous rumor I heard was 3 screens not 4, multiple movies would be highly doable.
I think part of the problem for EPCOT is that now technology moves too fast. How can Innoventions remain relevant if 5 months after an exhibit goes up it's out of date?

Well at least anything new would be an attempt of keeping current, that crazy Michal jackson movie is so out of date in its 3D technology its just sad.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Consider that this is a discussion board that I use to express my opinion. Your graph, though very clear does not indicate a time span, date or anything more then a number of days that the line length was long. Since your graph does not indicate any clue of time or occasion it is far more anecdotal then mine. Mine was a factual, seen with my own eyes, event. The graft, for all you know, are made up, wish it were, figures.

I omitted the source because frankly.. the claim didn't need one to debunk it. But since you want to dig in and think we just make stuff up to have something to say... I present you the full context of the graphic

http://touringplans.com/disney-california-adventure/attractions/soarin-over-california
TouringPlans said:
This chart shows you roughly how long you'll wait for Soarin' Over California when you visit on a day with a given Disney California Adventure Crowd Level. The blue bars represent the average "peak" wait time (that is, how long the line will at its busiest). The bottom and top black lines represent the range of peak wait times to expect (for you fellow nerds out there: it's the 5th percentile and 95th percentile of peak wait times)

What has happened since I witnessed it might very well have changed, but, to be honest, I really don't care enough to spend my time researching my every opinion especially when it has no real relevance to anything.

Translated: I really don't care about the validity of what I say or my credibility.. I'll just say it and cover my tail with opinion tags.

BTW - things like "its a walk on" are not opinions

You're connected to the largest collection of knowledge mankind has ever created - try using it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I will admit that when I went to DCA it was DL 50th. The place was very crowded, but, perhaps most of the activity was in DL and not DCA. I believe they rebuilt the place because no one was going to it. What has happened since I witnessed it might very well have changed, but, to be honest, I really don't care enough to spend my time researching my every opinion especially when it has no real relevance to anything.
Fair point that you didn't know the source of the graph. Touring plans compiles the data and has a pretty rigorous approach. It's one of the best public sources for this kind of data. The graph shows averages based on crowd levels from 1 through 10 with 10 being the 36 busiest days of the year and 1 being the 36 least busy. It's pretty solid factual data.

BrerJon

I think part of the problem for EPCOT is that now technology moves too fast. How can Innoventions remain relevant if 5 months after an exhibit goes up it's out of date?

They'd be fine if they did what Communicore did.

In the late 80s and early 90s Communicore at EPCOT Center always had the latest stuff, or things you couldn't try anywhere else. Not massive multi-million exhibits, but just test areas like you might get at the E3 show... easy to swap out every few months, changing regularly, but a real wow factor that made Communicore a must visit and gave Future World a reason for its name. It can't have cost much, but it gave EPCOT a real sense of being the place to go to get a glimpse of the cool stuff coming your way in the near future.

If they did that today they'd have a Google Glass walkaround area, an Oculus VR gaming grid, and a demo of a self-driving car or two. Not stuff tremendously futuristic, but still a year or two away from being able to try it out in Best Buy.

BrerJon

four hours is a bit much...i walked on in 2010....but it was the best ride i have ever experienced...and it uses a lot of screens...the right way. by far the most amazing thing i have been on...

Screens are OK when they add to real life stuff, but not when they replace it. Transformers, Spider-Man and Harry Potter use them well, Despicable Me or Toy Story Mania less so, because there's nothing else in the latter apart from the screens.

They'd be fine if they did what Communicore did.

In the late 80s and early 90s Communicore at EPCOT Center always had the latest stuff, or things you couldn't try anywhere else. Not massive multi-million exhibits, but just test areas like you might get at the E3 show... easy to swap out every few months, changing regularly, but a real wow factor that made Communicore a must visit and gave Future World a reason for its name. It can't have cost much, but it gave EPCOT a real sense of being the place to go to get a glimpse of the cool stuff coming your way in the near future.

If they did that today they'd have a Google Glass walkaround area, an Oculus VR gaming grid, and a demo of a self-driving car or two. Not stuff tremendously futuristic, but still a year or two away from being able to try it out in Best Buy.

I thought the self driving car was at Test Track :)

Goofyernmost

I omitted the source because frankly.. the claim didn't need one to debunk it. But since you want to dig in and think we just make stuff up to have something to say... I present you the full context of the graphic

http://touringplans.com/disney-california-adventure/attractions/soarin-over-california

Translated: I really don't care about the validity of what I say or my credibility.. I'll just say it and cover my tail with opinion tags.

BTW - things like "its a walk on" are not opinions

You're connected to the largest collection of knowledge mankind has ever created - try using it.
Fortunately for me, I couldn't care less what you think about my credibility. What I saw is what I reported. All the graphs in the free world do not alter that. Can we move on now. You're right, of course you're right, you're always right. As far as the last line... I am connected to the largest collection of perceived knowledge mankind has ever created.

When were those number recorded? My observation was Oct. 2005, that graph... ? Is it pre-DCA reconstruction or post-DCA reconstruction. Is it an accumulated average of wait times or specific? How does it compare to wait times at WDW? (Isn't that what we were talking about?) Why is the 95 percentile wait time higher on a Level 8 day then on a Level 10 day. It all leaves unanswered question, which leads me to rely on what I saw as opposed to what someone else reported. And yes, I am ready to drop this endless discussion. Thanks for playing!

flynnibus

Premium Member
When were those number recorded? My observation was Oct. 2005, that graph... ?

So you really put your one time, 9 year old anecdotal observation up as more reliable than years worth of measurements that are constantly updated.. because you don't understand it. Fabulous.

Low waits in DCA v1 had much more to do with low crowds and DCA's position as the 'hit and run' park of DLR. It's kind of pointless to compare the wait times of an empty park to the wait times of a busy park. Contrary to @RunnerEd 's comment, or yours about the past, it's not 'nearly a walk-on' today, nor was it glossed over in the past. The park was empty, so you could run in, hit ToT, GRR, CS, and Soarin' and then head right back to DL. The park had far more capacity than demand. Everyone enjoyed Soarin... but there simply wasn't enough people in the park for sustained periods to build big lines.

Soarin' was the hit of DCA... and why it was brought to WDW in the first place.

EPCOTCenterLover

I've been to DCA several times from 9 months after opening up until just after the opening of Cars Land. Not once in all my visits during various times of the year, have I waited less than 15 minutes for Soarin'.

PeterAlt

While I think adding more screens is still a good idea, I definitely agree with this.

That if there were more things to do it would disperse the crowds more.

This would be great, with 4 screens though the previous rumor I heard was 3 screens not 4, multiple movies would be highly doable.

Well at least anything new would be an attempt of keeping current, that crazy Michal jackson movie is so out of date in its 3D technology its just sad.
Most of FW is an embarrassment and is in sad shape!

PeterAlt

I've been to DCA several times from 9 months after opening up until just after the opening of Cars Land. Not once in all my visits during various times of the year, have I waited less than 15 minutes for Soarin'.
When I was there earlier this week, the wait was less than 15 minutes. It would have been less because I was a single rider. Despite that, I was trying to do both parks in a single day and have ridden it twice after it opened at DCA and decided to skip it this time.

PeterAlt

So you really put your one time, 9 year old anecdotal observation up as more reliable than years worth of measurements that are constantly updated.. because you don't understand it. Fabulous.

Low waits in DCA v1 had much more to do with low crowds and DCA's position as the 'hit and run' park of DLR. It's kind of pointless to compare the wait times of an empty park to the wait times of a busy park. Contrary to @RunnerEd 's comment, or yours about the past, it's not 'nearly a walk-on' today, nor was it glossed over in the past. The park was empty, so you could run in, hit ToT, GRR, CS, and Soarin' and then head right back to DL. The park had far more capacity than demand. Everyone enjoyed Soarin... but there simply wasn't enough people in the park for sustained periods to build big lines.

Soarin' was the hit of DCA... and why it was brought to WDW in the first place.
That's funny because it was hit and run for me a few days ago. I got all the major rides in (my fav plus all the new ones and upgraded ones) for both parks (some rides twice) in less than a full day (3pm-10pm). In the order I got on the rides...

Radiator Springs Racers
TZTOT
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
PotC
BTMRR (twice)
Space Mountain (twice)
Matterhorn Mountain
It's a Small World
Alice in Wonderland
Indiana Jones
Splash Mountain

I'd say I did good for just 7 hours!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom