New Film for Soarin' and Potential 3rd Theater

Jefferson1964

I was at Epcot on the 7th and saw a helicopter flying over during the day then one hovering behind Italy where we were watching the fireworks...I saw other flyovers at Magic Kingdom during the week...

DisneyCane

If they go to digital projection on Soarin', I hope that they work with IMAX to do a precisely aligned multiple projector "tiled" setup to create at least 8k resolution. I would think that even the new IMAX 4K laser projectors due later this year will not have enough resolution for Soarin' because you are sitting so close to the screen. It would really take away from the ride if you can see the pixel grid.

Communicore

Do yu guys remember Sea World Wild Arctic had the equivalent of Orange and Green, and the Green was basically a small room with maybe 10 folding chairs and the movie airing on a projector? LOL!

Last edited:

michmousefan

If they go to digital projection on Soarin', I hope that they work with IMAX to do a precisely aligned multiple projector "tiled" setup to create at least 8k resolution. I would think that even the new IMAX 4K laser projectors due later this year will not have enough resolution for Soarin' because you are sitting so close to the screen. It would really take away from the ride if you can see the pixel grid.
Good point. Also eagerly awaiting the debut of the IMAX 4K projectors -- currently, sitting anywhere closer than the back 2/3 of any IMAX aud (purpose-built or "lie-Max") and the pixel grid shows up during digital projection. Annoying in a theater, would be awful if it happened during a ride.

RunnerEd

I don't know when WDW will figure out that Soarin' is nearly a walk-on in California because there is other stuff to do in the park. It's a great attraction and a must do every trip for us. However, if there were something decent to do in the Imagination and Wonders of life Pavilions and maybe attractions in a couple of countries in WS, the line wouldn't be as long.

ToTBellHop

I don't know when WDW will figure out that Soarin' is nearly a walk-on in California because there is other stuff to do in the park. It's a great attraction and a must do every trip for us. However, if there were something decent to do in the Imagination and Wonders of life Pavilions and maybe attractions in a couple of countries in WS, the line wouldn't be as long.
Actually, I would argue Soarin needs higher capacity AND Epcot needs new attractions. DCA has lots of attractions but it also welcomes fewer guests than Epcot.

Goofyernmost

Soarin was a walk on in California even when there was nothing else, of substance, to do in DCA. It's not so much that there aren't other things to do at Epcot, it's that it is one of the few anybody can ride attractions that don't put you to sleep. Seas, is a stand up pavilion, meaning you have to stand up during your visit. The rest of the Land is not exactly excitement provoking although good for some families, kids are not usually a real patience lot. Imagination leaves very little to imagination looks old, tired and antique, but does have a family ride. I was never comfortable bringing my kids to EO, when it first ran since he spent a lot of the film grabbing his crotch. (gotta love Michael, I guess). Ellen is a nice ride but long. I enjoy it AND I get to ride in the cool dark ride for almost an hour resting my feet and putting pressure on a different part of anatomy. Mission: Space... I love it, but, hey it has killed more then one person. (unfair I know, just thought it was funny. All preexisting conditions) TT is pretty cool but has a capacity problem of it's own.

However, Epcot was never intended to be a high intensity park. It was a casual, wonder around and look, with attractions within for the most part. That said, Soarin draws people like a magnet at WDW because it is unique and loved by many of the older set, such as myself, and is fun. Just wish it was longer with less wait. Another theater should help that a lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom