New Film for Soarin' and Potential 3rd Theater

bhg469

I don't know. I rode it for the first time in a few trips recently, and was surprised at how well it still "played". I could totally see it being refurbed and it being spectacular. The animatronics in it are still very well done, and the movies are fairly timeless. Sure, the ending could be updated, but I think it works well still.
I also could point my finger at quite a few attractions around all of the parks that could probably use it much more. Nearly every attraction in Future World, Stitch, Dinosaur, Kali, and half of DHS as well could use the money more wisely. Heck, I'd rather see them invest in a boatload of TNT for the hat that is blocking the view of The Great Movie Ride.
Still, it comes down to the point that any attraction in which a film plays a heavy role has nearly NO reason that it can't be updated often. How many budding filmmakers are there in the Disney corporation? I understand that for rides that utilize the technology, effects and ride-motions come into play as well, but at this point, it should be as easy as programming the movements rather than switching out entire swaths of technology. There is NO reason AT ALL that the films in places like Norway, France, and the end of The Great Movie Ride couldn't be updated and swapped out annually. None. Well, one. Management thinks it's not worth the $.

Ugh... The management...

Rosso11

New York is the tourist capital of the United States and one of the top 5 tourist destinations in the entire world with 12 million people visiting every year.

I agree with everything you said except your 12 million visitor number is way off. Last year NYC had 54.3 million visitors. Your 12 million figure is only for international tourists.

AndyMagic

I agree with everything you said except your 12 million visitor number is way off. Last year NYC had 54.3 million visitors. Your 12 million figure is only for international tourists.
Thanks for the correction. That's an insane number of people.

AndyMagic

The hand that feeds us? The city is a leach on the state. It may bring in money but a huge share of the money earned there leaves the state at the end of the day. I would love to know how many employed in the city leave to NJ at the end of the day. Half of the money my clients earn come from Canadian residents. At least the money the Canadians spend stays here. Speaking of Canada, why is it that NYC is so great with carbon emissions and is super green smells like urine on hot days and Toronto is picture perfect? And the "upstate" you love to describe is western NY. Definitely a different place. We aren't all corn farmers and we don't shoot at our food. Buffalo is a city that is in the upswing and it has more to do with investors from other states and countries than Downstate. Don't even get me started on representation in Albany.
I don't even know where to begin here but you should probably Google some of your assumptions. New York City essentially subsidizes the rest of the state. It's a leach?! That's hilarious considering the large amount of tax dollars the city takes in that ends up getting redistributed upstate much to the anger of local politicians and the mayor. The city hasn't been a "leach" since the 80s.

bhg469

I don't even know where to begin here but you should probably Google some of your assumptions. New York City essentially subsidizes the rest of the state. It's a leach?! That's hilarious considering the large amount of tax dollars the city takes in that ends up getting redistributed upstate much to the anger of local politicians and the mayor. The city hasn't been a "leach" since the 80s.
You're out of your mind if you think those tax dollars are benefitting anyone outside of that immediate area. And the rest of the state produces 100% of the citys water and most of its electricity.

tinkerblonde11

I love the new destinations, Soarin's one of my favorites and I'd be happy to see those changes. Unfortunately, I had to skip it my last trip because of the long queue and disappearing FPs, but an upgrade will give me an excuse to make my family wait for me once again.

Texas84

Any chance of this getting fixed?
th.jpg

tl77

If they switch over to digital projection they should be able to change the scenes per ride like the new version of Star Tours does

Unplugged

Something no one has discussed (unless I somehow overlooked it in one of the other um-teen threads we've had on the "NEW Soarin' movie"), is that we know a new movie will likely come out at the same time the projection system goes digital. While the asset of the projector is expensive, the film maintenance costs drop radically with a HUGE added bonus. What's the bonus? Well, think Tower of Terror & Star Tours. If the movie is digital and the ride controls already are, then Soarin' 2015 (or whatever it is) can be Soarin' 2.0 from a technical sense and randomize the play sequence. Not a big deal for Imagineering and costs are next to nothing for software changes like that. Heck, they already know how to do it, so technically the "profile randomization" concept is a clone that I doubt any of us would complain about. ....Oh wait, I forgot where I was posting for a minute.

;)

ToTBellHop

Something no one has discussed (unless I somehow overlooked it in one of the other um-teen threads we've had on the "NEW Soarin' movie"), is that we know a new movie will likely come out at the same time the projection system goes digital. While the asset of the projector is expensive, the film maintenance costs drop radically with a HUGE added bonus. What's the bonus? Well, think Tower of Terror & Star Tours. If the movie is digital and the ride controls already are, then Soarin' 2015 (or whatever it is) can be Soarin' 2.0 from a technical sense and randomize the play sequence. Not a big deal for Imagineering and costs are next to nothing for software changes like that. Heck, they already know how to do it, so technically the "profile randomization" concept is a clone that I doubt any of us would complain about. ....Oh wait, I forgot where I was posting for a minute.

;)
The only real cost would be the production of more flight sequences. While not terribly expensive, they also aren't cheap to produce.

Admiral01

Premium Member
NY.. As in NYC? I can't wait to see how they replicate the smell of that.... Niagara falls would have been a better site and IMO way more impressive than a filthy congested city.

NYC is one of the most iconic places on the planet, known all over the world. And, one of the coolest cities on the planet.

Canada Pavilion already does a good job of covering Niagara Falls anyway :)

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Huh??? They fly over DCA and Disneyland, but the destination is Disney World??? o_O
There's a version in DCA, that's what they filmed the finale for on 3/12. The expectation is that each film around the world will have a finale of the location of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom