New Film for Soarin' and Potential 3rd Theater

doctornick

Wouldn't it be nice to have both?
A cleaned up version of Soarin' Over California AND the new Soarin' Over the World.

I would like the idea, but I think an even better option would be to have variable scenes (like Star Tours) such that each ride is a different experience. The difficulty might be with the 4D effects, but I woudl think they could be coordinated with the film.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
If they do not film at least one scene specific to each park that this is going in, and make that be the "final scene" of each film (Epcot for Epcot, DCA for DCA, etc), then I think I'm going to :banghead: and not stop :banghead: until I am :angelic: (or who am I kidding :devilish:).

I hate that the Epcot version is "over California" right now. If they continue to do something as simple, and easily fixable, as having an ending that makes no sense, I won't know what to say.

bhg469

If they do not film at least one scene specific to each park that this is going in, and make that be the "final scene" of each film (Epcot for Epcot, DCA for DCA, etc), then I think I'm going to :banghead: and not stop :banghead: until I am :angelic: (or who am I kidding :devilish:).

I hate that the Epcot version is "over California" right now. If they continue to do something as simple, and easily fixable, as having an ending that makes no sense, I won't know what to say.
They have been fixing the end of great movie ride for decades.

Cmdr_Crimson

• Expected Destinations include: England, France, Italy, Egypt, India, China, Japan, and for the U.S.A: the Grand Canyon, New York, Disney World.
  • Posible Destinations include: Brasil and Rio de Janeiro's bay or Iguacu Falls, The Amazonia forest or the old Inca Machu-Pichu fortress in Peru
Busch Gardens Williamsburg did have a Similar ride called Europe in the Air in the same vein of Soarin.....However your were in a regular simulated car and not lifted 40 some feet in the air....But, one thing surpassed the ride...THE EDITING..It's not Jump cut after jump Cut..Some how this ride figured it out with going through trees, clouds, etc and I Really hope they do the same with this one as well..

wdwfan4ver

As much as I welcome this I would much rather have a solid D added to one of the countries at WS.

The real question is will this solve the tiers and allow FP+ for Soarin and TT?
Adding both would make sense, but I think fixing imagination would better to do at this point. While fixing Imagination wouldn't fix the tier system, it could improve the FP+ issue to a point for Soarin and Test Track.

I am mentioning this because when I was in Epcot late last August, Journey into Imagination was a ghost town. I went on the ride somewhere from 10 to 11:00 a.m. with the Cast members being bored out of their mind based on it seemed like no one got on the ride yet that morning. Journey into Imagination would better off having a better ride before adding a ride to World showcase due not a lot of people do the ride at Imagination currently based on what I mentioned.

Replacing the current version of Imagination should bring in more people on the ride than they do now and that is one way to cut down the lines at Soarin'.

Last edited:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Adding both would make sense, but I think fixing imagination would better to do at this point. While fixing Soarin' wouldn't fix the tier system, it could improve the FP+ issue to a point for Soarin and Test Track.

I am mentioning this because when I was in Epcot late last August, Journey into Imagination was a ghost town. I went on the ride somewhere from 10 to 11:00 a.m. with the Cast members being bored out of their mind based on it seemed like no one got on the ride yet that morning. Journey into Imagination would better off having a better ride before adding a ride to World showcase due not a lot of people do the ride at Imagination currently based on what I mentioned.

Replacing the current version of Imagination should bring in more people on the ride than they do now and that is one way to cut down the lines at Soarin'.

I'll expand this by saying that the only way this makes sense AT ALL is just swapping out the film, as the cost for creating the new film is spread across multiple parks. That's just the film, the ride programming, maybe the projection equiptment.
Spending money to add a 3rd theater here while the rest of Future World flat out crumbles into nothing is a crime. I don't care if people spend 90 minutes to wait here and adding a 3rd theater might cut that wait down. They are standing there because there is literally NOTHING else to do at Epcot (aside from drink). Update one of the other terrible attractions, draw guests over and away from Soarin' by giving them something else to do. That'll cut down the line as well.

AndyMagic

NY.. As in NYC? I can't wait to see how they replicate the smell of that.... Niagara falls would have been a better site and IMO way more impressive than a filthy congested city.
Spoken like a true upstate New Yorker. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. New York is the tourist capital of the United States and one of the top 5 tourist destinations in the entire world with 12 million people visiting every year. Ohh and this "filthy" city also happens to have the lowest energy consumption and CO2 emissions per capita than any city in the US thanks to its widespread mass transit usage. Niagara Falls is stunning but I see nothing wrong with showcasing both America's natural beauty and its engineering and urban marvels in New York City.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Spoken like a true upstate New Yorker. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. New York is the tourist capital of the United States and one of the top 5 tourist destinations in the entire world with 12 million people visiting every year. Ohh and this "filthy" city also happens to have the lowest energy consumption and CO2 emissions per capita than any city in the US thanks to its widespread mass transit usage. Niagara Falls is stunning but I see nothing wrong with showcasing both America's natural beauty and its engineering and urban marvels in New York City.
Plus, removing all the upstate/downstate fighting, I'd much rather fly over Iguazú Falls than Niagra anyway. Manhattan would be fairly amazing as well.

muteki

March 12, 2014: Disney filmed the finale scene for Disney California Adventure's new version of Soarin'. The scene included Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, highlighting Cars Land.
Did this actually happen yesterday as scheduled?

Flyover was reported quite some time ago, I'm interested if they stuck to schedule.

bhg469

The hand that feeds us? The city is a leach on the state. It may bring in money but a huge share of the money earned there leaves the state at the end of the day. I would love to know how many employed in the city leave to NJ at the end of the day. Half of the money my clients earn come from Canadian residents. At least the money the Canadians spend stays here. Speaking of Canada, why is it that NYC is so great with carbon emissions and is super green smells like urine on hot days and Toronto is picture perfect? And the "upstate" you love to describe is western NY. Definitely a different place. We aren't all corn farmers and we don't shoot at our food. Buffalo is a city that is in the upswing and it has more to do with investors from other states and countries than Downstate. Don't even get me started on representation in Albany.

bhg469

By the time they get around to that, we're going to have to change the beginning as well. Instead of going into a movie theater, we'll be rolling into a fake living room and pulling up Disney Movies Anywhere on some sort of smart-device.
That ride is the biggest no brainer candidate for a complete refurb forever. Its so sad to see that it is so unpopular when the film industry is the theme of the park.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
That ride is the biggest no brainer candidate for a complete refurb forever. Its so sad to see that it is so unpopular when the film industry is the theme of the park.
I don't know. I rode it for the first time in a few trips recently, and was surprised at how well it still "played". I could totally see it being refurbed and it being spectacular. The animatronics in it are still very well done, and the movies are fairly timeless. Sure, the ending could be updated, but I think it works well still.
I also could point my finger at quite a few attractions around all of the parks that could probably use it much more. Nearly every attraction in Future World, Stitch, Dinosaur, Kali, and half of DHS as well could use the money more wisely. Heck, I'd rather see them invest in a boatload of TNT for the hat that is blocking the view of The Great Movie Ride.
Still, it comes down to the point that any attraction in which a film plays a heavy role has nearly NO reason that it can't be updated often. How many budding filmmakers are there in the Disney corporation? I understand that for rides that utilize the technology, effects and ride-motions come into play as well, but at this point, it should be as easy as programming the movements rather than switching out entire swaths of technology. There is NO reason AT ALL that the films in places like Norway, France, and the end of The Great Movie Ride couldn't be updated and swapped out annually. None. Well, one. Management thinks it's not worth the $.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom