New Film for Soarin' and Potential 3rd Theater

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I did a search, and most of the info on the upgrade to Soarin' has been spread across multiple threads and has extended back to at least March of 2012. Those familiar with my site understand how I track rumors, so here are the details I've compiled:

Specific Details:
The most recent incarnation of this rumor comes from MiceAge.com, and it looks like a version will be going into Epcot as well as Disney California Adventure, Shanghai Disneyland, and Tokyo Disney Sea. Expected in the update are the following components.

• A new title, potentially "Soarin' The World" or "Soarin' Over the World"
  • Completely new footage of landmarks around the world.
  • Digital HD Omnimax quality film, 4K or higher HD resolution
  • A new flyover segment was filmed at Disney California Adventure and Disneyland on March 12, 2014. It is unknown if this will be included in the Epcot version of the attraction.
  • No changes to the Epcot theming of the attraction
  • Expected Opening 2015
  • Expected Destinations include: England, France, Italy, Egypt, India, China, Japan, and for the U.S.A: the Grand Canyon, New York, Disney World.
  • Posible Destinations include: Brasil and Rio de Janeiro's bay or Iguacu Falls, The Amazonia forest or the old Inca Machu-Pichu fortress in Peru
Additionally, one of the long standing components of the Soarin' upgrade rumors has a third theater being constructed for the popular attraction. Originally reported in March of 2012 by Jim Hill, it was later reported in November of 2013 by WDW1974.

Timeline:
March 12, 2014
: Disney filmed the finale scene for Disney California Adventure's new version of Soarin'. The scene included Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, highlighting Cars Land.

March 11, 2014: DLthings on Twitter posted the flight path of the helicopter that will be filming the new final scene of the Soarin' film for Disney California Adventure. It is unknown if this will be used for Epcot as well.

February 3, 2014: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 has reported that the new Soarin' film will open in Epcot around the same time it opens in Disney California Adventure.

November 15, 2013: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 reported a long standing Blue Sky rumor that a third theater would be constructed for Soarin'.

November 12, 2013: MiceAge.com has reported that the Disney California Adventure version of Soarin' Over California will be getting a digital upgrade in February 2014. Recording is expected to take place on March 12, 2014 for the "Soarin' Over the World" film that is expected to come to that resort in 2015. There was no mention of Epcot in that article.

August 6, 2013: MiceAge.com has posted an additional update that Soarin' The World will be an HD digital format instead of the 70mm film it currently uses, and will be created simultaneously for Shanghai, Disney California Adventure, and Epcot. Additionally the timeline has been updated to 2014/2015.

July 8, 2013: Disney and More has posted an update on what to expect as part of Soarin' The World. The expectation is that the attraction will debut in Shanghai in 2016 and then a few months later in both California Adventure and Epcot. They also posted a list of expected countries that include: England, France, Italy, Egypt, India, China, Japan, and for the U.S.A: the Grand Canyon and New York. Additional South American possibilities include Brasil and Rio de Janeiro's bay or Iguacu Falls, The Amazonia forest or the old Inca Machu-Pichu fortress in Peru.

June 4, 2013: MiceAge.com reported that a new film is being planned for both Disney California Adventure and Epcot. The title given is Soarin' The World and will include destinations through the globe. On March 14, 2014 a new finale scene will be filmed in Anaheim with the ending traveling over both Disney California Adventure and Disneyland, it is unknown whether this will appear in the Epcot version. It is also expected that the new film will be digital.

May 17, 2013: Disney and More references the new trailer for the movie Planes as a possible indication for a new Soarin' Over the World film to debut in Epcot and Disney California Adventure in 2016. The article also points to the "Twister" ride system that has been circulating since the patent was released by Disney as well.

November 9, 2012: Jim Hill discussed the Shanghai Disneyland concept of "Soarin' Over Fantasy" on The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish Episode 23. The concept would feature a variety of flying scenes from classic Disney movies, with testing being done using existing footage from Mickey's PhilharMagic.

March 4, 2012: Jim Hill mentions that Disney is considering adding a 3rd theater for Soarin'.

flyerjab

My question is - if a third theater is indeed built, will all 3 theaters only be showing the new Soarin' Over the World film or will they also show the Soarin' Over California film as will? Also, if the new film is 4K/HD/whatever, does that mean that the California film will need to be updated (if that is even possible)?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
My question is - if a third theater is indeed built, will all 3 theaters only be showing the new Soarin' Over the World film or will they also show the Soarin' Over California film as will? Also, if the new film is 4K/HD/whatever, does that mean that the California film will need to be updated (if that is even possible)?
Wouldn't it be nice to have both?
A cleaned up version of Soarin' Over California AND the new Soarin' Over the World.

NiarrNDisney

Well if they do build another theater I certainly hope we will see shorter lines! I have not gone on Soarin for almost 5 trips now because of the long waits and lack of FP's available so here's hoping!

danv3

Did the flyover also include Disneyland proper? I really can't imagine they'd show a video of DCA in EPCOT as most guests won't have any idea what that is. (By comparison a flyover of Disneyland works because most probably just assume it's the Magic Kingdom.)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
This is possibly the only attraction I can logically see them putting another ride in to improve capacity. It's a fantastic ride, but the wait time is criminal.
The concern remains, though: just how much of the legendary Jerry Goldsmith score do you keep, and how much has to go?

harveyt0206

While I love the idea of a new version of the movie, I hate the thought of losing the current score. It's so beautiful. But I do understand how difficult it would be to time a new movie to the old movie's music. Good rumor. Thumbs up on this one.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I would like to see them construct a third theater, close done one of the two existing theaters to switch it to Soarin Over the World, and when Soarin' Over the World is ready in those two theaters, shut down the third theater for the conversion. Bringing a 3rd theater into the mix presents a scenario like Tower of Terror where they can do refurbs or changes without significant downtime, just a reduced capacity.

doctornick

As much as I welcome this I would much rather have a solid D added to one of the countries at WS.

The real question is will this solve the tiers and allow FP+ for Soarin and TT?

Why not both?

The popularity of Soarin' at Epcot is not going to diminish much even if another ride or two were to open at the park, so increasing the capacity is a great idea. They also should be looking to add rides elsewhere in the park (e.g. putting in the long rumored one for Japan or adding something to the WoL pavilion).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom