New Fantasyland-Largest Expansion of the MK, really?

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
I noticed on the Disney Parks Blog, that they're touting the 1st Anniversary of the New Fantasyland, the largest expansion in MK history. To me, that may just be a technicality (as far as actual land development), because when the Tomorrowland expansion opened in late '74-early '75, that expansion included Space Mountain, Carousel of Progress, The Starjets, and finally (opening in mid-'75), the WEDway PeopleMover. Compared to the new offerings in the New FL, I'd give the largest expansion title to TL '75.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I might be wrong on this, but I believe that New Fantasyland doesn't even add any additional acreage to the Magic Kingdom, since they built it on land that used to be Mickey's Toontown Fair.

Yeah, this is where the definition of "expansion" gets tricky. Do we consider Toontown as expansion? Yes the Dumbo area is new, but the tent area is more of a refurb then an expansion.

Rob562

I might be wrong on this, but I believe that New Fantasyland doesn't even add any additional acreage to the Magic Kingdom, since they built it on land that used to be Mickey's Toontown Fair.

Most of the Beauty and the Beast areas were backstage areas before, even when 20K was in operation. It was either unused space (Enchanted Tales and Be Our Guest) or the maintenance areas for the subs (bathrooms and Gaston's Tavern).

-Rob

MOXOMUMD

Except as has been pointed out, it is not. Do you consider it an expansion of your house if you don't use a room for a few years and then start using it again? Is remodeling a room considered an expansion? The actual expansion area is quite small.
That's a good way to put it. If that is the case, I cleaned out half my attic and I'm considering it an extension. ;)

jdmdisney99

Except as has been pointed out, it is not. Do you consider it an expansion of your house if you don't use a room for a few years and then start using it again? Is remodeling a room considered an expansion? The actual expansion area is quite small.
Let's compare...
TL '75
Slide1.JPG

FL '09
Slide2.JPG

Compared to...
Slide3.JPG

The FL expansion was really only as big as Space Mountain alone.

(Note: All above images are at same distance)

The Empress Lilly

And there's still a Fantasyland Contraction in regard to attractions. 20k, Skyway and Snow for Mermaid and Mine Train.

And Duckburg for Belle's Nameless Village is not much of an improvement either.

This FL expansion delivers even less real expansion than that $69.95 email offer of Russian pills I ordered.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
I'm thinking about this expansion as "attraction expansion". We're talking four attractions (TL) vs two (NFL), then subtract SWSA and we're down to one. Then top it off with attraction capacity, and they're really off the mark. I'm not bothering to look at 20L or Skyway, as they've been gone too long. At today's dollars, I'm sure that the TL redo cost more than the NFL.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm thinking about this expansion as "attraction expansion". We're talking four attractions (TL) vs two (NFL), then subtract SWSA and we're down to one. Then top it off with attraction capacity, and they're really off the mark. I'm not bothering to look at 20L or Skyway, as they've been gone too long. At today's dollars, I'm sure that the TL redo cost more than the NFL.
20L was built in the day when attractions were built with capacity an afterthought to creativity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom