News New Exhibit ‘The Soul of Jazz: An American Adventure’ Debuts in February at EPCOT

tirian

Well this is tacky. The children’s exhibits in my local museums are significantly better than this. (Granted, one is the Field Science Museum, but still...)

Prototype82

Ayn Rand was an... interesting choice by the Imagineers.
Maybe. But there is a diverse array of American thinkers beneath the pavilion's rotunda. But only one quote is on the very center wall as you enter the pavilion. This is the full version of that quote.

“Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision. Their goals differed, but they all had this in common: that the step was first, the road new, the vision unborrowed, and the response they received — hatred. The great creators — the thinkers, the artists, the scientists, the inventors — stood alone against the men of their time. Every great new thought was opposed. Every great new invention was denounced. The first motor was considered foolish. The airplane was considered impossible. The power loom was considered vicious. Anesthesia was considered sinful. But the men of unborrowed vision went ahead. They fought, they suffered and they paid. But they won.”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was excited to see the exhibit but now will probably pass on it. Sad to see Disney exclude all other races from an exhibit of a quintessential American music form as if it only tells the story of one race. It never occurred to me this would be a black exhibit as opposed to an American exhibit. Music is all about bringing people together and they decide to use it as a wedge.

It should be mentioned that in the Soul/Jazz exhibit, there is a tribute to noted jazz drummer, Gene Krupa.

Who is Polish-American. (That's White.)

mdcpr

I was excited to see the exhibit but now will probably pass on it. Sad to see Disney exclude all other races from an exhibit of a quintessential American music form as if it only tells the story of one race. It never occurred to me this would be a black exhibit as opposed to an American exhibit. Music is all about bringing people together and they decide to use it as a wedge.
You're funny! Because I really hope this was a joke.

Bocabear

Disney is known for their thematic design and entertainment architecture and design...It always baffles me that they would put together such an obviously cheap looking and uninspired display...They need to contact the display designers from the Smithsonian...it should be at least on that level...Every exhibit they put into that space should be. Another failure of imagination...

eliza61nyc

I like that you said this.

When you stand inside the American Adventure or Hall of Presidents, you don't feel like you're in a Florida amusement park a few miles down the road from Sea World. You feel like you're in a authentic historical site, or government sanctioned museum like the Smithsonian somewhere in VA or PA. It's not just the 18th century interior that does this, there's an overall "tone" that's hard to describe, but very much real.
Really? lol, this did make me giggle American Adventure in no way evokes the same tone as when you go to Independence Hall or Betsy Ross's house in Philadelphia. I do enjoy it but it is what it was intended to be, a watered down, theme park exhibit. Disclaimer: I live in Philadelphia, we take the whole 1776 thing really serious. ;) American Adventures isn't meant to compete, it can't.

TikibirdLand

Really? lol, this did make me giggle American Adventure in no way evokes the same tone as when you go to Independence Hall or Betsy Ross's house in Philadelphia. I do enjoy it but it is what it was intended to be, a watered down, theme park exhibit. Disclaimer: I live in Philadelphia, we take the whole 1776 thing really serious. ;) American Adventures isn't meant to compete, it can't.
Yeah, you don't get the dreadful tenements across from the Liberty Bell like you in Philly. But, maybe that's what makes it "authentic".

Other cities have cleaned up their Colonial tourist areas -- Boston has done a great job with the Freedom Trail. Wish Philly would do the same with theirs

eliza61nyc

Yeah, you don't get the dreadful tenements across from the Liberty Bell like you in Philly. But, maybe that's what makes it "authentic".

Other cities have cleaned up their Colonial tourist areas -- Boston has done a great job with the Freedom Trail. Wish Philly would do the same with theirs

WOW, it's been a minute since you've been to Philly hasn't it? lol, those buildings have been gone for over 10 years.

Across the street from the liberty bell is the new Constitution center. Gorgeous building has one of the original declaration of Independence plus a theater and some other stuff. on the southwest corner is the Federal courthouse.

constitution center.jpg
cc#2.jpg

Behind Independence hall is a condo building that I think has one of the highest priced units in the city

I believe they run 2800 to 5000 square feet with each unit boasting floor to ceiling views of Independence hall. I remember when they were being built, they started at 2.5 mil. now I think you could nab on around 4 mil if that's what you describe as tenements, sign me up.

when they were doing renovations a few years back they found the slave quarters for George Washingtons slaves. so right outside the liberty bell pavilion they did a wonderful interactive show on the 5 slaves that lived in the Washington household.

That area was cleaned up long ago, i would give my kidney to be able to afford the area. Come visit in the summer, you would love it. although food/restaurants in the area are ridiculously high. and as I said we have a 6c and ounce soda tax so on a 20oz bottle of coke there is an extra 1.20c in taxes. that's why Disney prices don't shock me. 3.20 is a pretty fair price for a bottle of coke here.
Talula's garden is my favorite down there

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I like that you said this.

When you stand inside the American Adventure or Hall of Presidents, you don't feel like you're in a Florida amusement park a few miles down the road from Sea World. You feel like you're in a authentic historical site, or government sanctioned museum like the Smithsonian somewhere in VA or PA. It's not just the 18th century interior that does this, there's an overall "tone" that's hard to describe, but very much real.
It's the smell of money flowing from wallets into the WDW vast underground bank vault.

TikibirdLand

WOW, it's been a minute since you've been to Philly hasn't it? lol, those buildings have been gone for over 10 years.

Across the street from the liberty bell is the new Constitution center. Gorgeous building has one of the original declaration of Independence plus a theater and some other stuff. on the southwest corner is the Federal courthouse.

View attachment 530037View attachment 530038

Behind Independence hall is a condo building that I think has one of the highest priced units in the city

I believe they run 2800 to 5000 square feet with each unit boasting floor to ceiling views of Independence hall. I remember when they were being built, they started at 2.5 mil. now I think you could nab on around 4 mil if that's what you describe as tenements, sign me up.

when they were doing renovations a few years back they found the slave quarters for George Washingtons slaves. so right outside the liberty bell pavilion they did a wonderful interactive show on the 5 slaves that lived in the Washington household.

That area was cleaned up long ago, i would give my kidney to be able to afford the area. Come visit in the summer, you would love it. although food/restaurants in the area are ridiculously high. and as I said we have a 6c and ounce soda tax so on a 20oz bottle of coke there is an extra 1.20c in taxes. that's why Disney prices don't shock me. 3.20 is a pretty fair price for a bottle of coke here.
Talula's garden is my favorite down there
it has been a while, I admit. Glad to hear it's been cleaned up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom