New entrance at DHS

afar28

Good riddance, whenever I go the entrance is so backed up and we are just sitting there, waiting forever just to get in. Hope this rumor is true

doctornick

I wonder if they would put in a walking path along the route so you could walk from Pop Century/Art of Animation. If there were a direct route, it would be comparable to the walk from Boardwalk/Yacht & Beach.

I would like it because it opens up the possibility of expanding the park footprint especially if they want to do a Star Wars area beyond Star Tours or a larger Pixar Place (would allow for a full Cars Land and more). Admittedly, I'm not suggesting that this move would be in anticipation of putting in more guest areas, but it at least removes one major barrier to expanding the space in the future.

Goofyernmost

Hmmmmm....this coupled with the rumor of the parades being shuttered sure sounds like something is imminent for DHS.....
Aw, who the heck CARS?;) I believe, if you'll pardon my slight trespass into WDW1974 style, I once said that if they moved the access/toll road to DHS elsewhere they would have tons of room to expand the park. Yes, I am special, yes, I am! :p No I will not find the post and link it. I said it, you want to know if I really did, you find it! I don't want praise, but you can send money!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I wonder if they would put in a walking path along the route so you could walk from Pop Century/Art of Animation. If there were a direct route, it would be comparable to the walk from Boardwalk/Yacht & Beach.

I would like it because it opens up the possibility of expanding the park footprint especially if they want to do a Star Wars area beyond Star Tours or a larger Pixar Place (would allow for a full Cars Land and more). Admittedly, I'm not suggesting that this move would be in anticipation of putting in more guest areas, but it at least removes one major barrier to expanding the space in the future.

According to the RCID comprehensive plan most of the land outside of the entrance road is consider unsuitable for construction. Here is the map from the plan, green is unsuitable, red suitable, yellow marginally suitable.

DHSArea.jpg

emcclay

If this ever happened, I imagine those resorts would see a huge price hike. Essentially, if you can walk to DHS you can just as easily catch the boat to EPCOT.

WeekendGM

That area is also a class I wetland and according to RCID documents "Development is not permitted in Class I wetlands. Class II wetlands may be used for passive recreation (i.e., trails) and, in special circumstances, for access and utility corridors. The loss of wetland acreage is strongly discouraged and must be mitigated according to the policies set forth in the Future Land Use Element and Land Development Regulations."

That area is also part of the 100 year flood plane.

I'm sure if Disney was willing to shill out a ton of cash to rehabilitate some wetlands the RCID might look at this but we all know Disney isn't that into spending cash in Orlando.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That area is also a class I wetland and according to RCID documents "Development is not permitted in Class I wetlands. Class II wetlands may be used for passive recreation (i.e., trails) and, in special circumstances, for access and utility corridors. The loss of wetland acreage is strongly discouraged and must be mitigated according to the policies set forth in the Future Land Use Element and Land Development Regulations."

That area is also part of the 100 year flood plane.

I'm sure if Disney was willing to shill out a ton of cash to rehabilitate some wetlands the RCID might look at this but we all know Disney isn't that into spending cash in Orlando.
Are you saying that this is NOT happening?

DizFiz

Any way to ease the traffic congestion I'm all in for... if this rumor is true it will be great to see Disney finally fixing the traffic flow of DHS.

HiYa Pal

If you look at the current entrace road off of world dr, its pretty wide, at its widest point, its wider than the seating area for LMA. While its not a huge amount of space for new rides, its plenty of room to rework backstage and allow some current backstage areas to become integrated into park space. Thats not encroaching on the wetlands at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom